Gibson Brands Forums

Songs From The Wrong Decade

Tman5293

I was listening to Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen and I noticed that it sounds like it was a 1950's hit even though it came out in 1980.

So here is the point of this thread: Name a song which sounds like it's from the wrong decade.

Stray Cat Strut Released in the UK in 1981. Clearly a 1950s rockabilly hit.

I'm pretty well sure that was their aim because at that time Rockabilly-which is very 50s influenced-was getting huge...thanks to Brian Setzer and The Stray Cats and this was their response for getting on the band wagon.There were a few other songs of that era with a 50s vibe like I Can Help by Billy Swan I believe and a few more that escape me right at the moment.

Any artist that decides to work in a slightly different genre may end up sounding as if from a different era altogether. Often it's done on purpose using musicians from that time period that created that sound.

Paul McCartney / Run Devil Run, Neil Young / Everybody's Rockin', Billy Joel / An Innocent Man have all done entire albums that sound like they were made late 50s -early 60s.

Many artist have done it and as you grow and discover other styles and eras of music you will recognize were most of current music got its foundation.

Archived