Gibson Brands Forums

first gibson, j45 tv

chipss36

hey chips,

So does Zsounds have a shop? I was gonna suggest you have a road trip and try some of there other guitars, they have another tv in stock and a jackson browne(reduced). Or have you rang them yet to find out if the other TV in stock, is the same as your one?

As other posters have said, you must have really fell for this guitar to want to upgrade the bridge and board. But i would be worried with some one doing such a big job in case it come back a lesser guitar.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this thread is just a trip .. and i never mean disrespect on this forum , do what u gotta do , but how can i get my head round whats happening ?

laminated fretboard and bridge are a problem because they sound bad ?? apparently no ... guys in love with this guitar ... so this guitar sounds so good that its gonna get taken apart and different bits put in ? change a perfectly cool sounding guitar .. o....k

laminate also is a bother because the resale value is apparently not gonna be as good ?? i doubt that myself , but ok , lets take that as being written.... so , answer to that is have a new fretboard fitted ? i dont think i'd pay as much for a guitar that someone told me had a fretboard replaced ... maybe that increases the value ?

if this was some rare '50's rare as hens' teeth guitar then whatever it needs it gets , total sense

but theres loads of this particular guitar around , just swap , or trade

i'm competely baffled and not sure what to think :-s

anyone else flummoxed ??

fair enough Nick..as you say an OLD J45... i'm assuming you had work doing that needed doing mostly..yes?.. although I do think you had a fair amount of purely cosmetic work done also?

"Yes" on all accounts. Some work was necessary, other parts were simply self-indulgent. I think when you own the same instrument for almost 50 years, you have that luxury.

this thread is just a trip .. and i never mean disrespect on this forum , do what u gotta do , but how can i get my head round whats happening ?

laminated fretboard and bridge are a problem because they sound bad ?? apparently no ... guys in love with this guitar ... so this guitar sounds so good that its gonna get taken apart and different bits put in ? change a perfectly cool sounding guitar .. o....k

laminate also is a bother because the resale value is apparently not gonna be as good ?? i doubt that myself , but ok , lets take that as being written.... so , answer to that is have a new fretboard fitted ? i dont think i'd pay as much for a guitar that someone told me had a fretboard replaced ... maybe that increases the value ?

if this was some rare '50's rare as hens' teeth guitar then whatever it needs it gets , total sense

but theres loads of this particular guitar around , just swap , or trade

i'm competely baffled and not sure what to think :-s

anyone else flummoxed ??

haha

yes BBG...100%.. my post was also a little toung in cheek.. but hey... this place is a trip [laugh]...( whoops.. that came out wrong..[biggrin])

Y'all don't know me . if you saw what I did to a perfact Harly and the way in came out in the end.

Or the way I build a classic tube amp. Yes I OCD on things and in the end have cool one off peaces.

The bridge and fret board on this guitar are not to my liking , I am simply Changing that to something no one else has..

A solid bazillan fret board and bridge sound worse than uh what's on there . Come on man.

It has little to do with loving the guitar just need a j45 in the studio . My number one guitar is an old electric , and that has not changed, that is a guitar I love.

To add to this the radius does Not suite me , new slab of solid rosewood , I get to choose my radius

And frets..Markers what ever ,. what fits you to a tee may not work for me...

it will be done right of course , I don't half step ...Just not my style, and it will be A one of a kind j45.

If you don't "get it" I don't care..

Good day.

Y'all don't know me . if you saw what I did to a perfact Harly and the way in came out in the end.

Or the way I build a classic tube amp. Yes I OCD on things and in the end have cool one off peaces.

The bridge and fret board on this guitar are not to my liking , I am simply Changing that to something no one else has..

A solid bazillan fret board and bridge sound worse than uh what's on there . Come on man.

It has little to do with loving the guitar just need a j45 in the studio . My number one guitar is an old electric , and that has not changed, that is a guitar I love.

To add to this the radius does Not suite me , new slab of solid rosewood , I get to choose my radius

And frets..Markers what ever ,. what fits you to a tee may not work for me...

it will be done right of course , I don't half step ...Just not my style, and it will be A one of a kind j45.

If you don't "get it" I don't care..

Good day.

quite an undertaking mate.... but your guitar, your money etc... so I can only say best of luck with your venture. My only further reservation would be in the end you have a heavily modded J-45TV, drifted way off spec and the extent of the mods sound/suggest it's a guitar that has 'needed' it for some reason. It may make it a non-mover in a selling situation as most folk are looking for something true to specs, but at the level of further investment you are going to it seems selling might never be something you have to deal with.

I would wonder how close it would be in the end totalling the costs and further investment costs of this guitar against what it would have cost in a custom order for one in the specs you would have chosen. A custom still having the 'original Gibson' vantage point over a 'modded Gibson production model'.

Again, best of luck with your choices and I hope it turns out as you would like.

Think it's well off spec as it is, it resell value is out the window allready.

Again it will be done. Correctly.

I will never purchase another new Gibson custom or otherwise, my lesson has been learned over this .

quite an undertaking mate.... but your guitar, your money etc... so I can only say best of luck with your venture. My only further reservation would be in the end you have a heavily modded J-45TV, drifted way off spec and the extent of the mods sound/suggest it's a guitar that has 'needed' it for some reason. It may make it a non-mover in a selling situation as most folk are looking for something true to specs, but at the level of further investment you are going to it seems selling might never be something you have to deal with.

I would wonder how close it would be in the end totalling the costs and further investment costs of this guitar against what it would have cost in a custom order for one in the specs you would have chosen. A custom still having the 'original Gibson' vantage point over a 'modded Gibson production model'.

Again, best of luck with your choices and I hope it turns out as you would like.

Think it's well off spec as it is, it resell value is out the window allready.

Again it will be done. Correctly.

Fair enough, I don't think 'out the window' applies though, sure you may get a slightly lower return down the line, but we're talking a few percent, worst case scenario would be 10% or so on the used price. Look at Norlin's they still can command some money despite their reputation and I don't think this is quite as dramatic as that.

I will never purchase another new Gibson custom or otherwise, my lesson has been learned over this .

I don't think that's fair, you had ample opportunity to return the model, choosing to keep it is one thing, but the work you're choosing to do now is elective. You could have easily returned it, been out some P&P costs (maybe not) and looked for something else that suited you.

I don't think that's fair, you had ample opportunity to return the model, choosing to keep it is one thing, but the work you're choosing to do now is elective. You could have easily returned it, been out some P&P costs (maybe not) and looked for something else that suited you.

Agree with PM 100%. Chips, you say you'll never buy another Gibson, yet you are putting a ton of money into a guitar you could have returned. What you are saying makes absolutely no sense, and I've generally been on your side throughout these discussions.

You simply should have gone to a custom builder, and had a guitar built precisely to your exacting specifications. There are plenty out there that would be happy to accommodate you.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not accept a guitar with a laminated bridge and or a laminated fingerboard. If I were looking for a used TV I would make sure that it was of the non-laminated variety.

As far as replacing the fingerboard you do know that it's glued to the top, right? If I were going with a custom fingerboard I would go all out and have the luthier float the fingerboard above the top. If you are going for a super cool one-of-a-kind J-45 I would definitely float it, and since you are having a custom bridge built it seems to me that you are in a unique position to get maximum resonance from your custom.

I'm with you on custom Harleys. I had a customized Springer that used to get tons of compliments, and always turned heads. I would love to see your modded Gibson when you're done with it!

Archived