Gibson Brands Forums

Talent shows.. What do you think?

Rabs

I saw a post the other day that talked about American Idol and I dont think it was that well received :)

However I myself like watching the auditions, when the live shows start I couldnt care less.. cos usually you find that the real talented ones get voted off... BUT I find the auditions really funny most of the time (I like Steven Tyler on it, hes funny), and even sometimes I feel there is genuine talent on show and its worth watching it just for that sometimes.. So heres a couple of vids that I think are worth seeing if you totally ignore it

You cant say this guy isnt talented

Strangely this guy plays the same song, but again.. surely talented.. (anyone who can play drums and sing at the same time gets my respect ;)) (musically anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEhmqCAwir4

When there is voting and/or getting your friends to vote for you...it's not a talent show but a popularity contest. Witch means there will be no or little talent involved. But then again, it's been said many time's that you don't have to be good to be popular or famous in the music business.

I'm happy about that last fact some time's as I'm not perfect but people have told me that I have talent and I see talented people who are just slugging away for little to no reward.

Well thats the thing about these shows.. Ok so they really bring nothing too music as such. BUT it is a way to get noticed.. The guy playing the double bass I dont think won.. But hes now got world wide recognition and will surely get work because of it..

Is that such a bad thing?

I dont think that the fact these shows exsist take anything away from anyone out there with genuine talent. Its always been hard to make it in music and probably always will be.. Even though in saying that today its easier than ever with home recording tech and Youtube and the like.. You dont actually need a record comapny anymore to make it big. But its still must be one of the hardest things to break into in the world. I also know plently of talented people who havent got anywhere dispite one guy in particular being in several bands at once, studying music for ten years and doing hundreds of open mic nights... but this is the strange media obsessed world we live in, go figure? :)

I can't watch them at all,I watched parts of some first when they came out and thought they were ludicrous.I don't like the idea of people just getting fame and fortune dumped on them when so many more talented and more deserving musicians are living hand to mouth practically starving but sticking to it just for their love for their craft.These shows also give young people the false hope and impression that fame comes easy and they will have it handed to them eventually,consequently becoming lazy and just waiting to be "discovered".

I have no time for "talent" shows where the audience votes on the so-called talent of the performers.Around here Irish music is absolutely huge and I have seen talent shows where an outstanding performer was way out-voted by the audience because he/she chose to play for instance a brilliant rendition of Paganini's Caprice No.5 when a duo with just rudimentary "skills" on guitar and accordion took the prize hands down because they played The Irish Washer Woman or some such nugget.As far as I'm concerned competitions such as these shouldn't be allowed as the outcome is based on what the performer chooses to play rather than how well they play.

Rabs that was a post i made,a friendly wager about who would win,someone replied they would bet $1,000,000 they wouldnt watch it lol,like i care what anyone else watches?? The post was about TALENT,not the show,i enjoy all levels of talent,and not just on guitar.The fact that Daughtry,Carrie U. Kelly C. are all now national recording artists stemming from that show is a testament to all the undiscovered talent that could be right down the road from you/me..... like this dude

I was debating a thread called how would YOU do? For any forum members willing to enter a talent contest,you go up and play %110,no matter the style or genre,and this cat in the vid comes up after you...Let me be the first to admit, i would LOSE. =;

Rabs that was a post i made,a friendly wager about who would win,someone replied they would bet $1,000,000 they wouldnt watch it lol,like i care what anyone else watches?? The post was about TALENT,not the show,i enjoy all levels of talent,and not just on guitar.The fact that Daughtry,Carrie U. Kelly C. are all now national recording artists stemming from that show is a testament to all the undiscovered talent that could be right down the road from you/me..... like this dude I was debating a thread called how would YOU do? For any forum members willing to enter a talent contest,you go up and play %110,no matter the style or genre,and this cat in the vid comes up after you...Let me be the first to admit, i would LOSE. =;

Yeah I woulndt win either :) [-( I can play ok but dont have much that I think would impress.. I sometimes get depressed when I watch YouTube vids of 15 year olds who shred like a pro and think why cant I do that, ive been playing almost twice as long as youve been alive lol..

not that I think shredding is the be all and end all, far from it.. But still :) im sure if you stuck half of them in a band situation they would suck.. As far as im concerned being in a band taught me more than I could ever have learned by myself and you cant learn that sitting at home behind your webcam ;)

Yeah I woulndt win either :) [-( I can play ok but dont have much that I think would impress.. I sometimes get depressed when I watch YouTube vids of 15 year olds who shred like a pro and think why cant I do that, ive been playing twice as long as you lol..

not that I think shredding is the be all and end all, far from it.. But still :) im sure if you stuck half of them in a band situation they would suck.. As far as im concerned being in a band taught me more than I could ever have learned by myself and you cant learn that sitting at home behind your webcam ;)

You mean like this guy? lol,ive played this song out and peeps go crazy,but i know in my heart this dude's got me dead to rights,hes prolly in his teens? hate it and love it at the same time,,love to see the raw talent but ashamed ,in my own way,i ever played this out live lol.

You mean like this guy? lol,ive played this song out and peeps go crazy,but i know in my heart this dude's got me dead to rights,hes prolly in his teens? hate it and love it at the same time,,love to see the raw talent but ashamed ,in my own way,i ever played this out live lol

Yes like that guy [cursing]:rolleyes:

I think shes been posted here before but like this young lady too

Yes it is true that there is lots of talent out there, but if the world get's hooked on accepting low or untalented entertainment then the entire industry will suffer as stagnation and dumb down audience's will not crave for new and more exciting performer's.

Plus for every untalented person that gets rich and famous hacking there way into the business that leaves some one with real talent out in the street with no income and no where to express them self.

I'm done here, no more on this subject for me.

I've never really liked talent shows. We had em' in high school, but they were just a way to get out of class for a while. We generally only had one group worthy of being called "talented," so the show was usually always boring. There was no real competition between groups. Of course, not having a lot of different musicians was also a problem. Everyone wanted to play guitar.

Y' know what another way to get noticed it? PLAY SOME F'N GIGS! Nowadays, with all these talent shows and the magic of YouTube (not to mention Facebook, Twitter, or any other site where you can post sound clips and or videos), finding fame/notoriety is easy. Sure, it is harder to do it the old school way (the right way IMHO), but it is 10 times the fun, at least for me (you get off on the crowd, you get experience, you get tight with other musicians, and you cut your teeth by playing your music over and over again with different crowds). I mean, The Beatles worked their asses off to make it. So did Kiss, Van Halen, AC/DC, The Stones, Zeppelin, Hendrix, and pretty much every other great musician out there.

Archived