Gibson Brands Forums

Songs beginners SHOULD play in a music shop.

pippy

Following on from the 'What shouldn't be played...' thread, what songs do forumites think should be acceptable fare for players - and especially for beginners - to attempt when trying out a new guitar?

We all had to start somewhere. I'll admit that the first thing I ever learned to play was the solo from Bad Co's 'Can't Get Enough'. This particular single-note stuff was both easy enough and interesting enough to keep me encouraged until I could learn how to play barre chords!

What Say You?

P.

I usually play Spanish Castle Magic,Angel and/or Little Wing as nobody plays them and also throw in some Beatle stuff to check out clean settings,like I'm Happy Just To Dance With You.Of course Manic Depression and I Don't Live Today are songs that nobody plays either.

...I usually play Spanish Castle Magic,Angel and/or Little Wing as nobody plays them...

Well, that's all fine, bonzoboy; but I asked what a beginner should expect to be allowed to play.

I doubt many beginners start off with 'Angel'...

Or was I worse than most beginners when I was a beginner...?:unsure:

P.

The first song I ever played was "Little Black Egg" (how many of you remember that one?) and yes I probably played it in a music store [scared] . I was too young to know it was bad...........

Nowadays, I'd suggest anything by Green Day.

I say whatever riffs you know and represent what you will be playing on a regular basis.

Agreed,maybe play a little beyond your comfort zone,possibly a riff your tryin to work out.Maybe a nice,more accomplished player will walk over and give you some pointers or possibly show you how HE plays it.Being older <than teens> i find it amusing how theres an unsaid 'riff contest' when in a music store,ya dont hear MOST younger cats playing songs.One kid will shred a riff,another will rush over to try to play somethin a bit harder or faster,once the fastest and hardest riff has been displayed and the other cat admits defeat,its usually 'crickets' quiet till the next contenders come in. [blush]

Stairway to Heaven... unless there's a sign [biggrin] I actually started playing Stairway with 5 Les Pauls around me on stands. I told the salesman I wanted to see which model Les Paul I wanted to buy. Several girls walked up and said it sounded good. So what's wrong with playing Stairway, as long as you can play it correctly?

The first song I ever played was "Little Black Egg" (how many of you remember that one?) and yes I probably played it in a music store [scared] . I was too young to know it was bad...........

Nowadays, I'd suggest anything by Green Day.

I still play Little Black Egg [thumbup] and Gloria and 25-6-24 and Can't Get No Satisfaction and {drum roll} Wipeout [laugh] That's my whole songbook [flapper]

TC

I still play Little Black Egg [thumbup] and Gloria and 25-6-24 and Can't Get No Satisfaction and {drum roll} Wipeout [laugh] That's my whole songbook [flapper]

TC

Ha! Now that's a list - you could hang out in the store for a solid 15 minutes [scared] Let's work on Jumpin' Jack Flash next! :unsure:

Well, for me and playing out in public, it gwine to be:

1) "From A Wigwam"

2) "Chop Stick"

3) "Heart Connection"

That way I can't ever embarrass myself like the gear heads "shredding" with nothing but distortion. Oh, and I play them with a very clean, somewhat "Jazz" setup on the amp too. :rolleyes:

Aster

Well, for me and playing out in public, it gwine to be:

1) "From A Wigwam"

2) "Chop Stick"

3) "Heart Connection"

That way I can't ever embarrass myself like the gear heads "shredding" with nothing but distortion. Oh, and I play them with a very clean, somewhat "Jazz" setup on the amp too. :rolleyes:

Aster

Coming from a classical guitar background when I started getting into acoustic/electric guitars I would put down my pick and start playing the melody to something like Bransle by Jean-Baptiste Besard. By the way some people looked at me you would have thought I had two heads on my shoulders or three eyes. [biggrin]

@ Pippy: Sorry about that,it wasn't until long after I had it posted did I notice it asked for beginner guitarists-if that's the case I used to play I'm Not Your Stepping Stone by The Monkees or House Of The Rising Sun by The Animals-I guess that's really dating me-back to the dark ages.

I know its a bit shreddy but I often play Am I Evil, cos the beginnng bit has powerchords, hammer on and pull offs and harmonics :) and thats the kind of thing I test..

But more often than not I will just play what ever comes to mind at the time usually a basic blues riff or something maybe even Rock N Roll (Led Zep) even if it is on the banned list ;)

...Pippy: Sorry about that,it wasn't until long after I had it posted did I notice it asked for beginner guitarists...

[lol]

Hey, no worries bonzoboy! I did guess you had misread the thread a bit...

Great selection of tracks, though, all the same. I, too, prefer Hendrix' more lyrical stuff.

P.

Archived