Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic amps

Hairy Dave

What amp do you use when you gig? I know next to nothing about amps, and especially acoustic amps. What would you recommend when using a quality guitar? I've seen some pretty cheap ones online - but are they not likely to destroy the tone? What should I look for in an amp?

Marshall AS100D for me. Its ideal for our needs. Love the tone, lots of inbuilt digital effects and has inputs for two guitars and two mikes which is what we need. The only downside is that its a really heavey bugger at around 30kg.

I'll check it out online, thanks. What makes it stand out for you?

The ease of use, the compactness of it(is that a word), and the pure acoustic sound you can get out of it. I love it. You can even put an electric guitar through it.

Carvin AG100D.

<<<<<-----

Mine is probably 8 years old, has been to hundreds of gigs and used for everything from a powered monitor/unpowered monitor, spare bass amp, spare guitar amp, pa main, mini pa, you name it.

It's 100 watts with a tweeter (knob in back for tweeter), a quality 12" speaker, and a pole stand hole, graphic eq, digital effects, three channels, one voiced for vocals (lo/high z), one voiced for bass, and one voiced for acoustic guitar.

It sits on a stand in my music room and has been left on for days (accidently), bounced all over the Country and if it EVER dies I'm gonna buy two of them......

[thumbup]

Thanks for the replies everyone - plenty there to keep me busy.

Anyone used a Fishman Loudbox Mini - seems to do a lot for the money? At the minute I have no need for an amp, but come the summer my friends and I will be practising together and I will need something. Not looking to break the bank as it will probably only ever be for occasional use. That said, I'm thinking there is no point is spending a lot of money on a high quality guitar to then plug it into a sub £100 amp.

1331038191[/url]' post='1142345']

Thanks for the replies everyone - plenty there to keep me busy.

Anyone used a Fishman Loudbox Mini - seems to do a lot for the money? At the minute I have no need for an amp, but come the summer my friends and I will be practising together and I will need something. Not looking to break the bank as it will probably only ever be for occasional use. That said, I'm thinking there is no point is spending a lot of money on a high quality guitar to then plug it into a sub £100 amp.

I use the Loudbox Artist and love it. 2 inputs for mic and line so you can use a mic for vocals. Effects are great and it's light weight with plenty of power. Check it out.....

Marshall AS100D for me. Its ideal for our needs. Love the tone, lots of inbuilt digital effects and has inputs for two guitars and two mikes which is what we need. The only downside is that its a really heavey bugger at around 30kg.

=D>=D>=D>

Although it's an older bigger, heavier (60 lbs) amp, me Peavey eAcoustic 100 is great. You can pick 'em pretty cheap. Newer one have effects on 'em but I'm not smart enough for bells & whistles. Excellent reverb! And controls of channels.

For the open mic I run, I have a yamaha stage-pas 300. 4 channels and great clean sound. Basically two powered 150 amp speakers. Also make great monitors. Reverb ain't much so if you want it thick you may need a box. No phantom power. Great small package- board fits in one speaker, cords in other. Perfect for small to medium rooms, house concerts, etc.

Last 3-to-5 years have seen some great acoustic amps in small packages arrive on the scene. Best thing to do is get put and play some.

I'm still looking for one with a "talent-button" so I can crank it to "11" [thumbup]

Willy

I got the one with the 'Talent' button! Except it makes a strange uuuurrrkkk uuuurrrkk bang phhhhst when I turn it on....

Quite a few years back when the 'acoustic amp' were becoming fashionable, I read an article about some amp I cannot remember the name of now, but at the time it was the one you had to have or you were on the 'out' crowd! I went to the music shop to try it - it sounded pretty good but when I tried to lift it, well.....about the weight of 3 wardrobes. Forget about it.

Years later, realizing that I had become part of the abovementioned 'Out' crowd, I bought a lower price Martin with a Fishman pickup that just cried out for a new fandangled acoustic amp. Off to the music shop to purchase another amp that I cannot remember the name of, but again were very fashionable at the time, but when I asked at the shop about said amp the guy behind the counter looked at me as if I trod in something smelly and steered me to the amp I took home - the strangely named Genz Benz Shenandoah 60 Stereo. The amp is ok, well really very good, but it was a masterful bit of salesmanship to get me out of that music shop with something I had never heard of, and rarely heard of since! I think I had the FEVER to buy an acoustic amp so I could get in the 'In' crowd and people would stop kicking sand in my face and all those terrible things inferred by the advertisement for the original amp I went to purchase, again the name of I have no idea. I guess they were a 'flash in the pan'?

There is the moral in the story!

They can be wonderful these little amps, but for way less money you can get a good name modular PA system - powered speakers and small mixer that will still be fashionable in six months time.

If I was to buy, I would be looking at a small Mackie mixer and powered JBL speakers. How easy is that?

Just some thoughts....

It all goes back to many years ago when I had the fortune to play in a band with a high quality 'Double 4 way PA system with state of the art Phase Linear etc etc" It has been sonically down hill ever since!

BluesKing777.

I use and really like the Fishman SA220 Solo Amp. It's really a small PA with a 2 channel mixer that incorporates decent pre-amps. It comes in a gig bag with wheels. So, guitar in one hand and Fishman in the other.

466_medium.jpg

Since getting the Fishman, I've stopped using my AER Compact 60.

i really really want one of those !

is it working out as good as it appears it should ?

looks like a godsend to me

Hello Everybody / I just a Genz Benz Shenandoah Acoustic 250-LT amp. Looked a while for something that was light weight & strong enough for Churches,Center Senior, Rest Home, etc. and this one did the trick. 26 pounds with 2 mic. 2 guitar hook-up and 17 voices. Great for me to use in any time or place. They make a Shenandoah 300-LT now that is even smaller. I paid $750.00 for it in '08' with no problems.

i really really want one of those !

is it working out as good as it appears it should ?

looks like a godsend to me

I think that it's the perfect bang-for-buck solution. extraordinarily easy to set up, mixer and pre-amps included. It's a 2-channel mixer, so if you want to run more than two inputs, you'd need an external mixer. I use it for coffee shop/restaurant/small club gigs and I'm really happy with it.

Store demo versions come up on ebay quite frequently and are priced at a significant discount from the new price. That's how I got mine.

I think that it's the perfect bang-for-buck solution. extraordinarily easy to set up, mixer and pre-amps included. It's a 2-channel mixer, so if you want to run more than two inputs, you'd need an external mixer. I use it for coffee shop/restaurant/small club gigs and I'm really happy with it.

Store demo versions come up on ebay quite frequently and are priced at a significant discount from the new price. That's how I got mine.

thats good to know , never seen one for less than 900 pounds .

I use the SA220 and it has met every challenge so far. Easy and light and sounds great and easily adapts to different size rooms. The speaker array puts the sound "up" where peoples ears are. Going on 2+ years no issues.

I got one in the US new for about $750 on E-bay "best offer" seller. I run my J45 with Fishman aura and my J200 with Fishman matrix, also my Takamine 12 string all sound superb. I use the 2nd channel for vocals with a Harmony GXT vocal effect.

I used to have a SWR California Blonde. It was pretty great, but it weighed a ton. Sold it before I left NYC.

I recently bought an Acoustic AG30 for $169. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I really think it's fine. Since I have a novel that has music as well, I usually do a set that has me reading and playing and I could be in a coffee shop, club, bookstore, whatever. So I wanted something small that would take a mic and the guitar. The bose or Fishman towers would be great, but not worth the output of $$ right now. I want to make some money and I still have to pay off my AJ.

I did a show a couple weeks ago with the AG30/M1A/AJ combo and the results were pretty fantastic. The thing you have to remember about amps like this is that they are not really like a Twin or a Vox or anything. They are about clean gain, not color and personality. THe AG30 really did the job as an onstage monitor/DI feeder. If I were to take it on tour, I'd want two. These cheaper amps from China suffer for cheap materials everywhere but the guts.

If you're looking for a reasonable amp for light gigging/practice, I'd check it out.

I use and really like the Fishman SA220 Solo Amp. It's really a small PA with a 2 channel mixer that incorporates decent pre-amps. It comes in a gig bag with wheels. So, guitar in one hand and Fishman in the other.

Since getting the Fishman, I've stopped using my AER Compact 60.

I have not heard one of these live, but have tried one in a shop and also seen some very good reviews.

One guy was saying that it felt strange to have the Fishman behind him as directed when he was use to creating his own space in the area behind the 'dotted lines' of two speakers on stands with a little 'wall' of foldback speakers and microphone stands to keep the customers over that side!

I can understand that....

BluesKing777.

Archived