Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic amps

Hairy Dave

finally someone said the California blonde. It's a pretty good one, I use it in my band I have to be LOUD. It is a little bigger, but it still, and this might just be the stock under saddle pickup on my Gibson cl-40 artist, doesn't really reproduce all the nuances I wish I could get in an electrified acoustic sound. That said it sounds as good as any I've tried with that guitar. For a little bit of a smaller amp, try the SWR Strawberry blonde. That's a great little amp too.

I'm going to hook up my AJ with the new Baggs M80 soundhole and feed it through the new 200 watt Baggs Amp. I'll be driving blind, but I love an adventure. I have a feeling that it will suit my needs perfectly, and the portability is very appealing to me.

^ I would love to hear what the Traynor is like [thumbup]

I also keep hearing loads of good things about the Fishman amp and also the lunch box? amp (off to work so will check name later)

anyone got any clips of these (of them playing)

Matt

Hi from Quebec....there are lots of videos on Youtube about acoustic amps but since that they can be played using many guitars brands and amp configurations the best thing is to try these in real situations depending on what you need and your taste. I think that contrary to electric, in acoustic amps," less is more" and and all I need is a good frequency response, a little compression, good reverb and sometimes a little chorus and as you know the rest is all in the fingers.wink.gif

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Oct/Fishman_Loudbox_Mini_Acoustic_Amp_Review.aspx

http://www.acguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=27462

Cheers for the input; I completely agree trying a guitar/amp when buying; but in the little community of the acoustic section here, I love it when members share personal experiences etc. I suppose you get to know people and enjoy hearing their own take on something...it is a fun talking point and like a virtual conversation you may have in a pub ;)

As for awkward me, 99.9 percent of the time I play acoustically anyway, so I am really relying on the guitar, the room and my technique to project the sound.

The only time I do use an amp, is at something like a wedding performance. I currently use a Vox AGA 150 to amplify my classical guitar. I choose it because it doesn't affect the sound, so your guitar is the same guitar but literally just louder.

Nice to meet you though Run, I am several thousands miles away in London. Isn't the Internet wonderful!

Matt

What amp do you use when you gig? I know next to nothing about amps, and especially acoustic amps. What would you recommend when using a quality guitar? I've seen some pretty cheap ones online - but are they not likely to destroy the tone? What should I look for in an amp?

I really like the Loudbox Mini... only wish it had 1/4" input on 2nd channel for 2nd guitar I use.

You can even use it for bass @ lo volume

AER Compact 60....great sound!

I generally play through the PA system.

However, when I need an acoustic amp I use my AER Domino.

The AER Domino is a really great sounding amplifier. Since I have had it (several years now) I have generally found it has too many features on it for my purposes and if I was going to buy another acoustic amplifier I think I would seriously consider getting the smaller, less feature laden Compact 60. It is a bit simpler but still has the sound but is easier to carry around.

• 2 weeks later...

We're big fans of the Bose L1. We have both a Model II and a more recently purchased Compact for when the addition power isn't needed. (As a duo, we use the Tonematch from the Model II with the Compact as well. If I were working solo in a relatively small venue, the Compact alone would do the job nicely.) In particular, we much prefer the sound of the Compact to the Fishman Soloamp -- but then, there are Bose people and non-Bose people.

-- Bob R

I use the Fender Acoustasonic Junior when I'm jamming with friends for my acoustics and my Gretsch Chet Atkins. Lots of volume, nice sound and decent effects but not earth shattering. As you can see I augment it a bit. I also just got this small 10 pound powered or battery operated Roland Cube Street for about 300 bucks. Runs on AC or 6AA batterys for many hours. Vocal & mic channels, ok effects and pretty flat sounding. I was quite surprised and will use it for street & backyard party fun. I want to check out that Fishman rig at my local music store - looks good.

Fender pics:

005.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

Roland pics;

006.jpg

007.jpg

012.jpg

Archived