Gibson Brands Forums

61 reissue pick up choice

alexandros

Hi! I have a gibson sg 61 reissue and i'm thinking of changing the bridge pick up for a 57 plus or a burstbucker 2 or a pearl gates....too many choices. I don't want to lose the character of this instrument but i believe that the fast palm muting riffs are sound too dull with 57 classic. what can i do in order not to lose the richfull sound of 57 classic and just add some more hi mids (avoiding to make the sound thin because i have bad experience with my previous sg, a special on which i changed the 490t with a 498t and the sound had been clear but also too thin....) thanks!!

P.S I most play 90's punk stuff (offspring, pennywise....)

hey alex

I think the studio i had with the burstbuckers where more responsive, but, they are thinner to my ear too, as was the sg 3 i had with the 490's were.

The ''57''s are my favorite pickup....I would try to put some type of effect or tweak your amp to try to get muted sounds.

I would not change out my ""57"" s .. I think they are top of the line.

I've got Burstbucker Pros in my Historic, 57 Classics in my '61 RI and the Angus/57 combo in the Angus signature, and while none of them have that perfect "airy yet meaty" vibe of my '65 Standard, they're all more than decent. I think you'd like the '57 Plus in the bridge, or the Angus Young model, as they are very similarly-voiced, but with more bite than the regular '57.

H

it is true that i had almost decided to change the 57 with a 57 plus or an angus young sign but i played on an angus young sg and to be honest i wasn't so much satisfied with its sound (too much emphasis on the high mids)...i think that you must avoid to put bright pickups (498t or angus young) on a sg because it's thin body doesn't help the sound to be big enough as it is at a les paul with the same pick ups. The issue for me is the fact that, if i put the 57 plus, could i have the rich sound of the 57 classic with more bite or too much high mids and as a result thinner sound?

it is true that i had almost decided to change the 57 with a 57 plus or an angus young sign but i played on an angus young sg and to be honest i wasn't so much satisfied with its sound (too much emphasis on the high mids)...i think that you must avoid to put bright pickups (498t or angus young) on a sg because it's thin body doesn't help the sound to be big enough as it is at a les paul with the same pick ups. The issue for me is the fact that, if i put the 57 plus, could i have the rich sound of the 57 classic with more bite or too much high mids and as a result thinner sound?

Through a Marshall that high-mid sound actually cuts beautifully and makes the amp come alive. One thing I've noticed is mine came from the factory with the bridge pickup raised WAY too high, almost touching the strings. After lowering the pickup and adjusting the polepieces a little, the pickup's sound smoothed out a little and became more full. I originally hated '57 Classics too because my early experiences were the same there (pickups too close to the string not allowing a richer sound to come through), but once you get them down in the right spot, they're much warmer and pleasing to the ear than the 498T. Adjustments can mean everything!

H

• 2 weeks later...

I would say YES

on my sg 3 I play the bridge pickups quite a bit, and i have 5 other options.

It has the classic brown gibson growl to my ears when overdiven, but again pickup height is very important.

If you like that gibson grainy crunch sound when slighty overdriven, again i'd say go for it.It s THE choice for the bridge pickup

Seymour duncan modeled their pickups off gibsons by the way if that tell you anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I have a gibson sg 61 reissue and i'm thinking of changing the bridge pick up for a 57 plus or a burstbucker 2 or a pearl gates....too many choices. I don't want to lose the character of this instrument but i believe that the fast palm muting riffs are sound too dull with 57 classic. what can i do in order not to lose the richfull sound of 57 classic and just add some more hi mids (avoiding to make the sound thin because i have bad experience with my previous sg, a special on which i changed the 490t with a 498t and the sound had been clear but also too thin....) thanks!!

I have the 61 VOS SG with Maestro and here is what mine has in it. It started off stock and belonged to Brian Ray (Paul McCartney's guitar player) then it went to (now the good stuff for you) Todd Youth (Murphy's Law/Dgeneration/Warzone/Ace Frehley/Danzig/Glen Campbell and ETC.). He put in a Motor City Custom Wind PU in it. This baby rocks, perfect for palm muting. It is a beast.

You can nail Pennywise and Epitaph era of Offspring no problem. Fletcher you will be, only smaller I hope.

jb jazz

• 2 weeks later...

jb jazz

Hiya I would say put a 57 classic plus in or the Augus Signature either should give you a hotter sound in the bridge

As an alternative I just put a Bareknuckles Riff Raff in the bridge of my SG and have a 57 classic in the neck and I love the combination. They give me pretty different sounds and a nice combination together :)

• 2 weeks later...

SGs for sure are great for Palm muting. I actually have 6 SGs. 4 with the 57s and 2 with the regular 498s.

I also play heavy Punk Metal and used my infamous Frankenstein Gibson ripoff nonreverse firebird guitar with

a single Dimarzio super distortion but man my Black SG Classic is awesome for palm muting. It has the regular

pickups in it. Not trying to say you don't know what your doing or anything negative but it is unfortunately so

true that your amp distortion is so critical to a crunch Palm mute. But here is something you might want to

address. If you use several pedals. I doubt you do but if you do. Your signal strength going into the amp is

degraded significantly and you loose the highs necessary to get the crunch for the Palm Mute. SO i have discovered

that putting at least 1 overdrive pedal at the end of the pedal stream going into your amp. You can at least increase

the gain you may have lost and they usually have tone control as well so you can regain your lost frequencies. it wont

be straight guitar into amp (im talking Marshall all Tube here) but you should be happy again with your sound live.

Hope i helped you. I absolutely love SGs. My favorite guitar of all time.

funny- we must have opposite tastes because i just dropped in a set of "vintage" matched classic 57 in my 81 SG standard. All i can say is WOW= what a sweet warm tone. The tone is everything i was hoping because my last SG standard with the 490 and 498t pups (i think) was way too thin and hot sounding. I picked up this 81 sg last week only to find out that the pups were not original and rather shoddy quality. long story short- new classic 57's, new posts nad new rewiring.... unbelievable!!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE CLASSIC 57's

Archived