Gibson Brands Forums

The Searchers John Wayne movie...

Lungimsam

Just saw it on DVD for the third time.

What a movie. This is the most serious of the Wayne westerns I have seen. Very moody and tragic. Beautiful cinematography. Loss, brooding.

Never saw Wayne act in a movie this way before. Really got to see some of his acting chops in this one.

Anyone have any Wayne movie favorites?

What a movie. This is the most serious of the Wayne westerns I have seen. Very moody and tragic. Beautiful cinematography. Loss, brooding.

Never saw Wayne act in a movie this way before. Really got to see some of his acting chops in this one.

The Quite Man

The Searchers

Sands of Iwo Jima

Flying Leathernecks

Rooster Cogburn (Original, in 1975)

The Shootist

In Harm's Way

Blood Alley

The High And The Mighty

Among so many others...I've always liked John Wayne, anyway. [biggrin]

CB

There's one movie with Duke in particular that I found exceptionally good,I think that it may have been The Sands Of Iwo Jima.In this movie he played a pilot who had been shot down by the Japanese and ended up paralyzed.He was told that he'd never walk again but he was bound and determined to get back on his feet and even flying.In one extremely moving part of the movie he's either in a wheelchair or on a Stryker Frame looking at one toe in particular saying over and over"I'm goin'to move that toe."He did eventually and got back into the swing of things as all heroes do.The Quiet Man was another one of his greats.Even though I've seen most if not all of the Duke's movies,I only own one DVD and that's The Cowboys.

I might be a little biased he was born in IOWA! I'am sure I've liked everything he's done! [thumbup] just a real down to earth guy! and would'nt it be great to have films like those being made today with, the scenery and real people,quirks and all!films of late seem to have fallen short in so many ways! [crying] [crying] the more I think about it it was probably just that generation that went thru the great depression that seemed to have some outstanding qualities/personalities! :-k

'The Searchers' was a masterpiece, no question. For sheer entertainment value, I love 'Rio Bravo' and 'The Cowboys'. How can you NOT love a movie where John Wayne says, "I'm thirty years older than you are. I had my back broke once, and my hip twice. And on my worst day I could beat the hell out of you." [thumbup]

I like his later stuff best,

Shootist

Cowboys

True Grit

Rooster Cogburn and the Lady. Probably his best as he had a great actress to play against. Kate Hepburn.

Sons of Katie Elder

Chisum

McClintock!

Big Jake

War Wagon ended stupidly

He did a number of non-westerns. I really didn't care for most of them, except, The Sea Chase. I do like his war movies as well.

The Searchers was a very intense movie. A movie not like any of his other stuff. Although it was a John Ford movie, it seemed it was probably directed by someone else. Not sure where Ford got the idea for it, but I enjoyed it.

I don't think Wayne played in any bad movies. He did play against some lousy actors and actresses, mostly bad actresses. Two of the actresses on Rio Lobo were rank amateurs and really acted poorly. His sons were not much better. While Wayne had his 'list of usual' male, co-actors; Jack Elam, the ever present in Wayne flicks, Hank Worden, among others he seldom re-used actresses, even the good ones. I don't know if this was Wayne's doing or the director's. Some of the scenes were poorly done and /or poorly thought out. Many times I've seen scenes and thought,"That was a dumb thing to do. Anyone with Wayne's sense would never have allowed himself into that situation."

Bottom line, John Ford knew how to make great movies, especially with John Wayne. Other directors... not so much.

Not bad, though, from a man named Marion.

The Searchers was a great movie, though like buliwyf said I'm not sure if there is a John Wayne film I didn't like... I even like the really old ones like The Man From Utah. Though if I were to pick a favorite it would probably be The Quiet Man, that one always makes me laugh.

I think that there was only one person that called him by his "real name" and lived-that was Frank Sinatra when they roasted him not too long before he died. BTW I know Duke's real Christian and surnames but was just wondering how many others know the name that could get you killed if you called him by it.

There's one movie with Duke in particular that I found exceptionally good,I think that it may have been The Sands Of Iwo Jima.In this movie he played a pilot who had been shot down by the Japanese and ended up paralyzed.He was told that he'd never walk again but he was bound and determined to get back on his feet and even flying.In one extremely moving part of the movie he's either in a wheelchair or on a Stryker Frame looking at one toe in particular saying over and over"I'm goin'to move that toe."He did eventually and got back into the swing of things as all heroes do.The Quiet Man was another one of his greats.Even though I've seen most if not all of the Duke's movies,I only own one DVD and that's The Cowboys.

Hmmm...the only film I remember, where he was paralyzed, was in "The Wings of Eagles," where he played

"Spig" Wead...a military pilot, trying to sell the Navy on the merrits of aircraft in combat, etc., and He has an

accident, at home (falling down the stairs, I think it was) that paralyzes him, the night before he was to take

over a combat squadron.

CB

That's the movie I was thinking of alright-it was so long ago that I had forgotten about exactly how he ended up paralyzed and just remembered snippets of the main story line.Thanks for setting me straight-now I'll have to get on the CD Universe site and order a copy.

BTW: I find CD Universe a great source for CDs and DVDs-they have an enormous selecton and it's hard to come up with a title that they don't have.The beauty of the site is if they don't have it they will scan other sites and let you know where you can find it,the number they have in stock and the prices.Their prices and charges are very reasonable anyway.

Yeah, any of those old films, with the Duke and Maureen O'Hara were great! They were

(IMHO) the perfect pairing, both in their on screen chemistry, and in the characters

they played off, one another. Really great, and fun/funny, to watch. And, they were

great friends, off screen, too. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Yeah, any of those old films, with the Duke and Maureen O'Hara were great! They were

(IMHO) the perfect pairing, both in their on screen chemistry, and in the characters

they played off, one another. Really great, and fun/funny, to watch. And, they were

great friends, off screen, too. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

DITTO \:D/ [thumbup]

John Wayne, Gregory Peck, William Holden, James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart,

Henry Fonda, and Gary Cooper, were my (personal) favorites, back then.

Still are (among other's) even now, for that matter. As the cliché' goes:

"They just don't make 'em, like that, anymore!" [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

A great actor; I'm told by some of the "child" actors in The Cowboys that he was a great guy as well.

The Shootist kinda reminds me in ways of something almost Shakespearian where I think it's kinda something you've gotta be a bit older truly to "get."

The Cowboys, again, it's probably one of those movies that becomes more meaningful to a male as he ages. It's also one that features my home as the end of the trail. It also might be a great lesson to kids. I know it was even to the kids who played in the movie and now are themselves at the age of being potentially grandparents.

I think the ladies tend to prefer Quiet Man.

Interesting topic, though. Yes, though, I think there were some "not so good" Wayne movies. He just never did that well as Sandy the Singing Cowboy. <grin>

m

I looked up a bio on John Wayne and wow did he make a lot of films I counted 165 and that's not counting TV and guest appearances.I find it funny that my favorite film is the Shootest and it was his last film about a sick old gun fighter who had cancer.In his real life he also had cancer and wasnt up to feeling to well acting in that film and only did

TV appearances from then on.He was born on May 26 1907 and passed on June 11 1979.

Also the movie The Searchers seems to have started this thread just so you you know "The Searchers" is voted into the National Film Registry at the Library of Congress in 1989.Here is the web page about The Duke I found,pretty good one.

http://www.angelfire.com/zine/timetraveler/johnwayne.html

I edited I knew the Shootest was his last film but I typed the wrong movie (stupid moment)and fixed.

Stagecoach, They Were Expendable, Fort Apache, 3 Godfathers, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande, The Quite Man, The Searchers , The Wings of Eagles,The Horse Soldiers, The Alamo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, How the West Was Won, Donovan's Reef,

all had two things in common.

John Ford directed them.

John Wayne starred.

Other great movies directed by Ford were , The Long Gray Line, Mister Roberts (both in 1955). My Darling Clementine, Drums Along the Mohawk, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Lost Patrol, Up the River (debut movie for both Bogart and Tracy), Mary of Scotland, Grapes of Wrath, Tobacco Road, are just a few of the 140 films directed by Ford.

"Hatari" was great! Every male I knew, had a crush on (Elsa Martinelli)

AKA "Dallas!" Her character's name was "Anna Maria Dallesandro," hence

"Dallas" for short! I think Red Button' character "Pockets" first called

her that?

(Elsa Martinelli)

4060419824_252bb4c575.jpgElsa_Martinelli.jpg

MV5BMTM4Mjc4MTY1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM2MDgzNw__V1__SX640_SY461_.jpg

Damn, now I can't get that "Baby Elephant Walk" tune, out of my head! [tongue] LOL

CB

Archived