Gibson Brands Forums

Pics of my J45 Custom

Hairy Dave

Cheers Brannon - there's def more mojo in the air since I got mine (not sure if my wife or neighbours would call it that though haha).

Sure is, Love my J45 as well. I can see your from Ireland. Cool. I have a chance to play with Danny O' Flaherty and Noel Nash sometime. Ever heard of them?

Very pretty indeed, never played one but would really love to try one !

btw: Dave, are you really that hairy ..?

Thanks EA, they are great guitars - you should def try one if you get the chance.

On the hairy topic... I used to have long(ish) hair and my friend's 3 year old daughter referred to me a Hairy Dave one day - as you can see it stuck! Ironically the same friend makes a yeti look bald!

Pretty guitar! A blinged out 45! That low E looks like it's a mile off the fretboard......yikes! Is it?

Hi Buc, thank you. I'm not sure what angle I took that pic from - but the low E is def not that far off the fret board haha. The action is actually pretty good - however I think I would like it lowered just a tad as I have problems with barre chords. When I say problems I mean I can't do them lol.

Sure is, Love my J45 as well. I can see your from Ireland. Cool. I have a chance to play with Danny O' Flaherty and Noel Nash sometime. Ever heard of them?

I haven't - I'm guessing they are in the traditional Irish music scene? Not really my thing. Do you play professionally?

buc's right . action a bit high dave ? or maybe thats how you like it :-)

I think I'll def have it lowered a little. It's not half as bad as how it appears in the pic though!

Do you know anyone locally that could do it? I'm not sure I'd want to do it myself. I'm not known for my DIY skills around the house! There's a guy in Portadown that my friend uses. I'll prob leave with him and ask him to look after it. I often hear people say you should have a guitar professionally 'set-up'. What does that entail?

Photos don't lie. That action is way up there......which would make bar chords quite difficult. Get that thing setup and you'll be amazed at the difference! Nice guitar!

Gonna get it done as soon as possible. I'll measure the action tonight and let you know what it comes out at. I originally had an Epi Dove and the action was quite high on that. Anything lower than that probably feels good to me haha.

I haven't - I'm guessing they are in the traditional Irish music scene? Not really my thing. Do you play professionally?

Yes, its Irish traditional, and pub style music. I think They are from Galway, well I know Danny is anyway. No, I just know Danny and Noel, and they are so cool. They play around here at a coffee house , and they invited me to come up and play with them. I have to learn the songs first, Ha.

Yes, its Irish traditional, and pub style music. I think They are from Galway, well I know Danny is anyway. No, I just know Danny and Noel, and they are so cool. They play around here at a coffee house , and they invited me to come up and play with them. I have to learn the songs first, Ha.

Cool. I'm up North (Belfast boy). Don't worry all the Trad Irish pub style music sounds the same ;)

I often hear people say you should have a guitar professionally 'set-up'. What does that entail?

A proper setup includes adjusting string height at the nut, adjusting action by raising/lowering the saddle, setting neck relief, dressing any high frets, etc. Each of these operations may involve further work (pin hole ramping, for example) and how much adjustment is needed depends on the player's preference. Fingerpickers play with a light touch and in general can play a guitar with very low action without fret rattle. Some are heavy strummers and need a higher action to get a big, solid tone with heavy attack. Some players don't mind a little fret rattle and play with a low action, sacrificing tone and volume for playability. It's all up to the player, and nothing teaches you what you want in guitar action like playing and listening. It takes many, many years of playing, listening and feeling to arrive at your ideal guitar and it's ideal setup. For me that has been as much of guitar playing as any other aspect of the activity......learning what works for me as a player.

I think I'll def have it lowered a little. It's not half as bad as how it appears in the pic though!

Do you know anyone locally that could do it? I'm not sure I'd want to do it myself. I'm not known for my DIY skills around the house! There's a guy in Portadown that my friend uses. I'll prob leave with him and ask him to look after it. I often hear people say you should have a guitar professionally 'set-up'. What does that entail?

hi dave, theguy in portadowns name is dennis corrie . he's undoubtedly the best in the country . i'll pm you his number . he used to collect once a week from bairds on shore road . a professional set up just means , intonation set , action exactly how you like it . anyone can lower action , i did that myself to a martin . but a full set up will make it play like an electric.

A proper setup includes adjusting string height at the nut, adjusting action by raising/lowering the saddle, setting neck relief, dressing any high frets, etc. Each of these operations may involve further work (pin hole ramping, for example) and how much adjustment is needed depends on the player's preference. Fingerpickers play with a light touch and in general can play a guitar with very low action without fret rattle. Some are heavy strummers and need a higher action to get a big, solid tone with heavy attack. Some players don't mind a little fret rattle and play with a low action, sacrificing tone and volume for playability. It's all up to the player, and nothing teaches you what you want in guitar action like playing and listening. It takes many, many years of playing, listening and feeling to arrive at your ideal guitar and it's ideal setup. For me that has been as much of guitar playing as any other aspect of the activity......learning what works for me as a player.

Wow, seems like a lot of work. Is it expensive - or is there an average cost that you would associate with it (by a good luthier)?

Due to other commitments I am not nearly as good as I'd like to be at this stage - due to lack of practise/play time. I've owned a guitar for almost three years now. Until recently I became somewhat lazy and never pushed myself to learn anything other than the very basics. Since buying my J45 I've taken a much greater interest - but the time is still not there!!

I'm def a strummer, although I do dabble with some picking. I've never liked playing with a pick and I don't have nails to speak of - and even then, I don't like the feel of picking with my nails. I tend play with the side of my thumb and finger tips.

I enjoy watching the vids on the forum and seeing/hearing the different styles and techniques. Hopefully I'll start to develop some of those skills myself!

Hard to beat a sweet J45 Custom!

Great looking guitar Hairy Dave

......btw, I'm also a 'Belfast boy' ......well used to be, born and raised in the Ardoyne district. I now live in Vancouver BC, Canada.

Cheers

bobby

hi dave, theguy in portadowns name is dennis corrie . he's undoubtedly the best in the country . i'll pm you his number . he used to collect once a week from bairds on shore road . a professional set up just means , intonation set , action exactly how you like it . anyone can lower action , i did that myself to a martin . but a full set up will make it play like an electric.

Thanks BBG - yes, Dennis is the guy my friend uses. I'm sure he has his number but please do PM me in case he doesn't.

My mate is willing to lower the action for me - he did it on his own J200 so I 'think' I trust him haha

I've no idea about intonation etc - so wouldn't know what to ask for [blush]

The same friend has a Hummingbird TV and a Takamine that 'play like electrics'. They feel amazing! If I could recreate that I would over the moon.

Hard to beat a sweet J45 Custom!

Great looking guitar Hairy Dave

......btw, I'm also a 'Belfast boy' ......well used to be, born and raised in the Ardoyne district. I now live in Vancouver BC, Canada.

Cheers

bobby

Hi Bobby, thanks. I'm in Greenisland now but born and raised on the Shore Road. My wife is from the Ballygomartin Road (you maybe threw stones at each other growing up? haha ;) ) Been to BC once - gorgeous place! Family wedding in Calgary in May 2000 I think. Sun splitting the trees the day we arrived - woke up to a foot of snow! Flew to Kelowna a few days later where they had a heatwave! Never made it as far as Vancouver. Would love to visit at some stage. Kids are a bit young yet for a long haul flight - I don't have the energy or inclination to try and amuse them for that length of time haha.

lovely guitar by the way , i like it . slightly blingier than mine , looks good

Thanks BBG. I love the small details on it - just enough. My friend had a chance to by a J45 Vine but passed on it as he thought the fretboard was a tad too much.

Archived