Gibson Brands Forums

Pics of my J45 Custom

Hairy Dave

• 4 months later...

A proper setup includes adjusting string height at the nut, adjusting action by raising/lowering the saddle, setting neck relief, dressing any high frets, etc. Each of these operations may involve further work (pin hole ramping, for example) and how much adjustment is needed depends on the player's preference. Fingerpickers play with a light touch and in general can play a guitar with very low action without fret rattle. Some are heavy strummers and need a higher action to get a big, solid tone with heavy attack. Some players don't mind a little fret rattle and play with a low action, sacrificing tone and volume for playability. It's all up to the player, and nothing teaches you what you want in guitar action like playing and listening. It takes many, many years of playing, listening and feeling to arrive at your ideal guitar and it's ideal setup. For me that has been as much of guitar playing as any other aspect of the activity......learning what works for me as a player.

Hi folks,

Buc .....what do tou think about relief ?

An adjustment of truss rod & lowering saddle...should be very inexpensive.( Ask for a Set Up)

If you are not fussy about very low action a fret polish..(maybe 65-75 euro..includes adj) may not be needed.

The action looks high.

You'll be able to do bar chords if its set up with low action.

Nice guitar..And nice to see ebony fret board on the J45.

Congratulations

my father got a j45 custom for christmas this year....when he saw the gibson case his jaw hit the floor...hahaha,,,beauty of a guitar man!!!! nice dark dense loud tone...the back on my fathers is perfectly matched,,,just a thing of beauty i tell ya. not as bright soundin as my southern jumbo, which is mahogany back and sides. 2 different beasts!!! but yes,,the j45 custom is ****in fancy man!!! work of art!

Archived