Gibson Brands Forums

Ebay - Paypal rant

ksdaddy

A couple months ago I decided to sell off my collection of old transistor radios, about 130 of them. I lost interest so they needed to go, particularly because I'll be moving into the new house soon. One radio was shipped via priority mail with delivery confirmation to California. It got lost in the mail somewhere. It was a total of $18 with shipping. I provided the buyer with the delivery confirmation number and we waited....

So he requested a refund through Ebay and Paypal. He did not claim any impropriety and in fact stated I had been helpful. Ebay refunded his money and I lost $18 and the radio.

My issue here is that Ebay/Paypal did not give me any chance to defend or refute the claim. I had no intention of doing so and had no problem refunding his money; the guy had a legitimate claim and "oh well" I lost a couple bucks. My problem is that Ebay/Paypal unilaterally decided the outcome without hearing my side of it.

This time it was $18. It could have been $5000 for a dot neck 335.

Insurance will be mandatory on any sales over $100 from now on!

Guest farnsbarns

Imo, most complaints about eBay an PayPal are born of not reading small print or correctly stating the terms of sale etc but these issues where they become judge, jury and executioner will be their undoing. I believe their actions in this case are illegal despite the fact that you were prepared to take the hit and accept responsibility, they cannot decide that and take your money without your permission or a court order.

I too only buy from ebay. I try not to sell over amazon aswell because they too will deduct money from your account to resolve problems. Ive had people claim items havent arrived even though they were sent recorded delivery and I still lost out

I gotta say it's not only online sales and PayPal etc, its just heartless selfish people. I work in a store where people will come in to return merchandise they bought and when we take a look at it, it's all hacked up then when we refuse them they loudly declare they are calling their credit card company and will have a charge back issued. A lot of people are so selfish and irresponsible that they will do something dishonest just to get their way.

Paypal is the very reason I stopped selling on EBay!! Their fee's are outrageous. They are only too keen to take your money but when it comes to resolving an issue their not interested!!

Being a EBAY seller you are now FORCED offer PayPal!!

And the buyer can too easily reverse the payment!!

Regards

Just and asside; I noticed while perusing the local paper that the 'Classifieds' section has a dearth of 'stuff'. Other than a few Rentals and one lone Browning shotgun for sale today, the Classifieds are 2 pages of repossession announcements. No furniture, no cars for sale. I suspect just about 'everyone' is selling their 'stuff' on Ebay, CraigsList, FreeCycle, or other.

A couple months ago I decided to sell off my collection of old transistor radios, about 130 of them. I lost interest so they needed to go, particularly because I'll be moving into the new house soon. One radio was shipped via priority mail with delivery confirmation to California. It got lost in the mail somewhere. It was a total of $18 with shipping. I provided the buyer with the delivery confirmation number and we waited....

So he requested a refund through Ebay and Paypal. He did not claim any impropriety and in fact stated I had been helpful. Ebay refunded his money and I lost $18 and the radio.

My issue here is that Ebay/Paypal did not give me any chance to defend or refute the claim. I had no intention of doing so and had no problem refunding his money; the guy had a legitimate claim and "oh well" I lost a couple bucks. My problem is that Ebay/Paypal unilaterally decided the outcome without hearing my side of it.

This time it was $18. It could have been $5000 for a dot neck 335.

Insurance will be mandatory on any sales over $100 from now on!

If your shipper was UPS there is a $100.00 limit on uninsured items lost or damaged!you would have to notify them about it! not sure on the other shippers or US mail, probably will need to buy the ins. if you were the buyer and did'nt get your goods paypal is a good thing!at least the buyer won't get took! :unsure:

I've had ebay and Pay Pal accounts for a few years now and do at least 4 or 5 transactions a month through Pay Pal alone and have never had any reason to complain-the same goes for ebay even though I don't deal with them as often.

I've had ebay and Pay Pal accounts for a few years now and do at least 4 or 5 transactions a month through Pay Pal alone and have never had any reason to complain-the same goes for ebay even though I don't deal with them as often.

You're one of the lucky ones then

Paypal is the very reason I stopped selling on EBay!! Their fee's are outrageous.

[thumbup] This is my only complaint. I sell a couple of my modded Tube Screamers on eBay every week and between seller fees and PayPal fees, each transaction is costing me about 12%. That can eat into your profit margin pretty quickly. [cursing]

I've sold about 150 items on Ebay and only ever had 1 real issue.

I sold 2 die cast collectible fire trucks for about $10. It was a good deal and I packed them well and shipped immediately after Paypal payment. Well a few days later I get a message from Ebay saying the buyer has opened a case against me. The buyer stated item was damaged, the item wasn't as advertised and that I didn't respond to her messages. I chose the option to refund $ after item was returned and sent the buyer a very polite message through Ebay (so there would be a record for the Ebay moderator to view). I said I was sorry but I would have gladly refunded her money without need of opening a case if only she would have let me know there was a problem. I also asked if she would tell me how the item was damaged. Next thing I get is a message stating she has escalated the case against me! [cursing] So I went ahead and opened a case against her laying out the facts above. Ebay just settled the case by refunding her money through Paypal, but I also kept the payment I received. :-k

Seemed like a scam to me since she never produced any evidence of her complaint, yet she got her money back. But then, why bother trying a scam for a mere $10-$15 :-k

[thumbup] This is my only complaint. I sell a couple of my modded Tube Screamers on eBay every week and between seller fees and PayPal fees, each transaction is costing me about 12%. That can eat into your profit margin pretty quickly. [cursing]

Check what they now nick you for on a percentage of the shipping cost and you'll find that the fees total more than 12% of the actual sale amount.

J

Check what they now nick you for on a percentage of the shipping cost and you'll find that the fees total more than 12% of the actual sale amount.

J

Yeah, but in Ebay's defense that is because many sellers were selling items for .99 and then making their money on huge shipping fees. The cost was the same to the buyer and the sellers were avoiding the Final Value Fee.

I just find it amusing that when Ebay/Paypal need money from you they need is yesterday but when you need your money you have to wait 21 days till the funds are available plus 2 weeks on top of that to receive the check.

If PayPal ever gives you the 30 day refund biz, go to your bank. My son got the 30 day run-around but his bank had my son's money back in his account the next business day.. The bank just withheld a like amount from the banks daily transfer to PayPal until PayPal completed its 'investigation' of the issue.

The bank has more leverage against PayPal than we do.

In my son's case his bank account was 'hit' for 499.99 for a satellite phone sent to the middle east. They used my son's months dormant PayPal account.... exactly what PayPal is SUPPOSED to prevent. That's why we use PayPal...Right???

Granted, his case was fraud. An Ebay sale gone bad might be another thing, but it might pay to check with your bank.

My son is having a problem with them now. He sells iPhone accessories on there. For no reason, they shut him down. Kept the money in his PayPal account and closed that too. They said he'd have to wait 60 days to get his money out. So 60 days passed and he contacted PayPal. They said he'd have to contact eBay. He did and they said he can only have his money by having it refunded to his PayPal account. Which has been closed. He can't get anywhere with them and now he's taking them to court. They are the same company after all. There's a lot about this in forums on the net. He's in touch with someone that has 100% from sales, yet they closed him down and he has £10.000 in his PayPal account and can't get to it. Be wary when using it.

Guest farnsbarns

Here's a winge from a buyer...

I found a small Blackstar amp, I forget the model but it was a 5 watt head and had 2 1x12 cabs. It was very badly listed so I reckoned it would go cheap. I put my max bit in and waited to see how cheap it would go. A few seconds before the end of the auction was going to end the amp was still 99p. The seller ended the auction and cancelled my bid on the grounds that the item was no longer available. This is the second time this has happened to me. It annoys me that if I bid I am legaly obliged to honor that but if the seller can see his item us not going to sell for as much as he wants he can just end the auction and cancel my bid. The last time this happened I contacted eBay and was told that sellers have the right to do it and there's nothing they can do. Seems unfair to me.

Here's a winge from a buyer...

I found a small Blackstar amp, I forget the model but it was a 5 watt head and had 2 1x12 cabs. It was very badly listed so I reckoned it would go cheap. I put my max bit in and waited to see how cheap it would go. A few seconds before the end of the auction was going to end the amp was still 99p. The seller ended the auction and cancelled my bid on the grounds that the item was no longer available. This is the second time this has happened to me. It annoys me that if I bid I am legaly obliged to honor that but if the seller can see his item us not going to sell for as much as he wants he can just end the auction and cancel my bid. The last time this happened I contacted eBay and was told that sellers have the right to do it and there's nothing they can do. Seems unfair to me.

It is how some auctions end. I've been to household, farm, antique and real estate auctions. The sellers retain the right to reject any and all bids. Only a few times have I seen a seller exercise this right. Usually the rejected bid is for an automobile or real-estate where the seller feels he can a better deal elsewhere. On rare occasions, the auctioneer announces the minimum bid, then starts from here. Sometimes he gets no takers. This may seem unfair, but as a holder of an item, if you are obligated to sell at the highest bid, whatever that bid, the seller risks getting being forced to sell an item for a ridiculously low figure. That being the case, an auction is too risky and no one would be willing to auction anything off. To be sure in I am certain that all the auctions I have been too either have the 'right to reject' clause posted or it is announced at the outset of the auction. There may be a clause in the Ebay rules and regs that allows the seller to reject any and all bids.

Why not contact the seller and offer to purchase for your max bid? He can either accept or reject.

I no longer sell on Ebay...... The buyer has complete advantage over the seller in every way [thumbdn]

Agreed1 I sold a guy a pedal that was mint and working great before i shipped it. The guy tromped it and broke it and even though I stated no refunds on the Fleabay site, evidentally Paypal (even though owned by the same company) doesn't respect the ebay refund policy and gave the guy back his hundred. I waited for the pedal to get back to me, but never recieved it and the guy didn't have to insure it.

F EBAY AND PAYPAL!!!!!!!!

Archived