Gibson Brands Forums

Naming your guitar(s)

brannon67

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Stratocaster is Frosty. It's white, pretty and I think sounds pretty cool.

My Blueridge is Maggie after the song Maggie Mae. It's the guitar that sucked me into playing regularly. It aggravated me at times but I kept coming back for more. It's also got mahogany back and sides.

and the newest one, the J-45 I call Trigger. It's the guitar I always wanted and it just took me forever to "pull the trigger" and get one.

I used to have an old 68 Epi that I just called "the hog"

Well I'll confess I called my Hummingbird Akhenaten for a time while I was in an ancient Egypt phase (the sunburst on the guitar does have a bit of a Sun God look) but it felt silly to me so now it's just "guitar". People have names, dogs & cats have names......and some of those will even come when you call to them. Guitars never come when called......they just lay there. Now pick one up and strike it.....that's a call!

Bettie Page....

My black Les Paul is Bettie Page. The black reminds of Bettie's jet black hair, the curves remind me of Bettie, the sweet sound reminds me of Bettie. Also...I cant keep my hands of of it, which if Bettie were here(in her younger days of course) I wouldn't keep my hands of her either!

Bettie Page....

My black Les Paul is Bettie Page. The black reminds of Bettie's jet black hair, the curves remind me of Bettie, the sweet sound reminds me of Bettie. Also...I cant keep my hands of of it, which if Bettie were here(in her younger days of course) I wouldn't keep my hands of her either!

Kaptain Krunch, this is a whole theme for a song!!! Love this, man!

What you got left - old hands touching a beautiful black guitar...

Should it be sad or not?

I got THREE names for all my guitars.

THIS ONE (that's the one i currently have in my hand and am playing)

THAT ONE (that's the one i am NOT playing and is either on my guitar stand or in my case)

and then theirs SHERYL [flapper]

Harmonics101

Mine are all named. Magic is named because I completely fell in love with the tone of that guitar while it hung on the wall at the shop. I pined for weeks until I finally got it. Lily is named after a character in ELH's song Red Dirt Girl. Jonathan is the name of my Seagull guitar (Jonathan Seagull). Elmo..... I have no idea why I called the Epi Elmo. He's a bit smaller and it just fit.

I want to name my J45, but to me, it just cant be some random name. It has to have meaning from an experience, or certain person, or whatever. It has to be more personal to me to really give it a good name. Much like you guys have done.

I sometimes call my '48 J-45 "Jackson", because I bought her for $50 in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1966.

My cherry '59 Historic ES 335 is called "The Unicorn", because Gibson theoretically did not build any cherry ES 335's in 1959.

No names for my other guitars, although I sometimes think of my '68 ES 335-12 as "The Chestnut Mare" after the wonderful McGuinn riff on the Ric 12 in that particular Byrds' tune. Suppose I could have called her "Eight Miles High" or "It Won't Be Wrong", but those don't really sound like proper names for a lady.

I have Matt Sear to thank for naming this one.

After I posted a soundclip of my 1940's G-J, Matt described her tone as "jangly" so, naturally, she became known as 'Djangly'...

Lo-resIMG_2413framedv2.jpg

P.

Archived