Gibson Brands Forums

I'd like to be able to play rhythm like this chap!

pippy

Guest farnsbarns

Samson Scmitt playing rhythm to let the young Daisy Castro shine on violin.

I'm speechless. Watch his chord work!

P.

Wouldn't we all!?!?

That's very reminiscent of the pairing of Django Reinhardt and Stephan Grapelli,in fact I do believe that it's one of their numbers.It's very well played for sure.We have a local musician,Duane Andrews, who plays the Gypsy style music of Reinhardt and he has won and been nominated for several Juno awards-Canada's Grammys-and is making quite a name for himself on the international stage for his extremely dexterous Gypsy guitar playing.His style and speed has been held up and compared to that of Reinhardt more than just a few times.He tours usually with an accomplished Gypsy style violin player whose name escapes me right now but has made quite a name for himself in his own right.Duane and his violinist sidekick have become quite popular in Europe,especially in pockets where Gypsy music is still big.

Thanks very much for posting that, bonzoboy. Interesting read.

(BTW, the violinist's name is Dwayne Côté - Google is my friend!. I've opened another browsing page and am listening to samples from their website as I type!)

If you're interested here's the link;

http://duaneandrews.ca/index.php

There's a very famous Gipsy-Jazz venue just a handful of miles from here and they quite often have famous guest musicians from overseas so I'll have to watch out for the Canadian pair if they come over!

In actual fact the guitarist in my original post was playing a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately I couldn't make it along that night. I first heard of him through watching clips of his father, Dorado Schmitt. Here's a clip I find fascinating where Dorado is teaching (the very young!) Samson how to play Django's version of 'Minor Swing' note-for-note...

Funny to watch this clip and to realise that the young boy grows up to be the guitarist in the first post!

P.

Pippy - You need those big inlays to play like that!! [biggrin]

I'm loving gypsy jazz more and more all the time.

LOL!

Funny you should say that, badbluesplayer. I was actually playing the Di Mauro a minute ago and wondering whether it's time to put them back on now.

The more I hear of G-J the more I'm amazed by the scales they use. I don't understand it for a minute! I'm sure that if I studied it I'd get the hang of it (in, perhaps, a dozen years or so...).

I'm not sure how old Samson is in that clip - 9 or 10 maybe? - so if he can do it why can't a big(ger) boy like me do it?........

Hmmmmmmm..........on second thoughts, don't answer that.

[crying]

lol!

P.

Samson Scmitt playing rhythm to let the young Daisy Castro shine on violin.

I'm speechless. Watch his chord work!

P.

Good stuff. Not that it matters, but I think they are really playing in front of a green screen.

Pippy, I've heard you play. I know you have that ability in you.

Don't see too many people who play jazz violin. Interesting. I also wonder why you find a lot fewer women who like/play jazz on any instrument.

Archived