Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar in Jimmy Fallon Commercial

Joe M

I'm wondering what kind of Gibson Jimmy Fallon in playing in a recent Capital One commercial. He's trying to appease a baby by playing a guitar. At first I thought it was a SJ but it's got a funky inlay at the 12th fret that I've never seen before. Tried to find the commercial on YouTube so I could paste it here but all they had was an older version with the same baby but no guitar. Has anybody seen it and, if you have, can you identify the guitar?

it was a SJ but it's got a funky inlay at the 12th fret that I've never seen before

Haven't seen it, but could the "funky inlay" be a UFW eagle? If so, it's a Kris Kristofferson SJ.

-- Bob R

Haven't seen it, but could the "funky inlay" be a UFW eagle? If so, it's a Kris Kristofferson SJ.

-- Bob R

Yup, that's got to be it, I'll pay closer attention the next time I see it. dchristo, you're right, the baby breaks an Epi, not the Gibson Jimmy was playing...

I have seen the commercial and noticed the guitar. It is indeed a Kristofferson Southern Jumbo. The funny thing is that it is really easy to realize that the guitar Fallon plays has the split parallelogram inlays, and the busted guitar has dot inlays. Not even close!

Funny, you can clearly see the "Gibson" logo when Jimmy's playing the guitar, but after the baby smashes it, the "Epiphone" logo is taped over..... [confused]

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNpo9_ruZc

Hate to see a guitar ruined even if it was an Epiphone.

Wonder if the 'props' guy did the 'old switch-er-oo', substituting his personal Epiphone for the Gibby, then taking the Gibby home? Fairly certain management at Capitol 1 wouldn't notice. ... Just askin'

I agree, Fallon is about as funny as a dead baby joke.

[quote name='TommyK'

Hate to see a guitar ruined even if it was an Epiphone.

Wonder if the 'props' guy did the 'old switch-er-oo', substituting his personal Epiphone for the Gibby, then taking the Gibby home? Fairly certain management at Capitol 1 wouldn't notice. ... Just askin'

Would'nt that be called recycling! which Iam all for! how about you? B)

Is it even a little fair that someone was born with that kind of talent? (actually....BOTH of 'em!)

No! But I like the fact that KK honed his talent at Oxford University, yet had to become a studio cleaner to make it. And JC didn't have it easy. They both worked hard for their success, I think.

No! But I like the fact that KK honed his talent at Oxford University, yet had to become a studio cleaner to make it. And JC didn't have it easy. They both worked hard for their success, I think.

Yeah, KK is probably only only Rhodes Scholar country folk rocker around. Book larnin' didn't hurt his talent one bit.!

As smart as KK apparenlty was, he could have probably got a better paying job outside the music industry. Some day he may tell us that taking a sweeping up job in a recording studio was part of his master plan to get close the the movers and shakers in that industry. Something tells me his being in the right place at the right time wasn't just happenstance. A wise man once said, "Luck; is where preparation and opportunity meet."

Archived