Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else dislike the ac30?

Lazerface

Tried one out awhile back before i landed on my hot rod deluxe iii. Found it really muddy sounding and really just didnt like it. I know this is a popular amp but want to know who else out there shares my personal distaste for it.

AC30s are just like Marshalls. They need to be turned up.

the salesperson (also friend) at the guitar center we were at cranked the thing up like crazy so we could hear it and I still wasn't really impressed. I mean I could always give it another try but I just didn't have a good experience with that one.

I like the sound other people get out of them but they're not for me.

This is my opinion too. I know quite a few people with them and they sound great, but every time I try any of the AC series they always sound bad. I guess they just don't like my hands, plus they don't have enough natural mids for me.

I find it very strange to see the AC30's sound described as "muddy" of all things.The AC30 and 15 are among the cleanest and brightest amps ever made.If you play any single coil guitar through an AC30 you are practically guaranteed to get razor sharp treble response especially if you have a Strat,Tele or Rickenbacker with toaster pups.What kind of guitar was used to produce that "muddy" sound from the amp?I can only surmise that there must have been something wrong with the amp because it's highly unusual for an AC 30 to perform in that fashion.Although I don't have an AC 15 or 30 myself, my Vox AD120VTH has models for both of these amps even with the Top Boost mode and all models are faithful recreations of the real amps and they respond in the same fashion as the real McCoys.Some day I will be adding an AC 15 or 30 to my arsenal.

The other guitar player, in our band, has an AC-30...it sounds Great!

No "mud," at all (unless, of course, he wants it, and sets it, or his

guitar, accordingly)...and, plenty of definition, even overdriven. And,

he uses a vintage '68 LP Custom, a Telecaster, and a Epi Nighthawk

Custom. A wide scope, of tone potential, there. So...???

CB

Archived