Gibson Brands Forums

Need FT-134 parts

Anhedonius

Hi all- Just bought a broken FT-134 for $40, spending more than it's worth to fix it because I hate to see older instruments go to the landfill. It needs a truss rod cover, a neck plate, and the cover for one of the tuning gears is gone. Anyone know where to look for these? Any and all tips appreciated!

Truss rod cover and neck plate covers are out of production. Stewart MacDonald or Luthier's Merchantile, on line store, should have generic truss rod covers. The neck plate is not a common item. Something will have to be custom made. SIgn engravers, the type who cut letters into laminated plastic which reveals a contrasting colored layer beneath the surface layer might be able to help you with blank stock, or if you aren't handy in that way, he may be able to fabricate something. Also, a nicely finished rectangle of wood would suffice. There are on line companies who make custom TRCs and scratch guards. They can be a bit spendy as they use exotic materials.

Tuning machine covers... Check Stew-Mac or LMI might have something as well. However, I've never seen parts for tuners, only whole tuners. They may have an economy, covered tuner that would fit and looks similar for a reasonable amount of money.

The other option is to find a beat up, donor guitar to cannibalize for parts. Ewwww that gives me the willies, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Got any pictures you can post?

Thanks TommyK. I'd post pix but haven't learned how yet. Of the three parts I'm seeking, I struck out at LMI, StewMac and a couple others, except that StewMac has a truss rod cover that I might be able to modify to fit. Schaller ST6 (no. 500) tuners looked like they'd work, but the mounting holes are 2mm off (dang!).

Now I'm thinking of (gasp!) refinishing it. LMI has a nice article on how to finish, but it's the stripping of the old (polyurethane? polyester?) finish is what scares me. Heat gun? Chemical stripper? Scrapers? All of the above? I'd much prefer a thin satin finish over this thick shiny gunk, but I might not have the cajones to try the stripping.

Refinishing is a big job.

Removing the old finish, especially the PolyU. I would be affraid to use chemical or heat as a stripper. Once past the finish, the stripper can soak into the plywood and possibly start a delamination cascade. Good luck! Heat could also loosen the laminate glues.

Sanding, a power sander could be employed, but once you get through the finish, the micro-thin surface layer can be sanded through really fast.

Possibly sand the PolyU. to roughen it up, then over-coat with the desired gloss level of new PolyU?

I think there are instructions for posting pictures somewhere pinned to the top of one or more forums.

Basically, you upload to PhotoBucket, then link to it using the icons at the top of the text editor.

Roll the cursor over the icons to reveal the "Insert Image" icon.

• 8 months later...

Refinishing is a big job.

Removing the old finish, especially the PolyU. I would be affraid to use chemical or heat as a stripper. Once past the finish, the stripper can soak into the plywood and possibly start a delamination cascade. Good luck! Heat could also loosen the laminate glues.

Sanding, a power sander could be employed, but once you get through the finish, the micro-thin surface layer can be sanded through really fast.

Possibly sand the PolyU. to roughen it up, then over-coat with the desired gloss level of new PolyU?

I think there are instructions for posting pictures somewhere pinned to the top of one or more forums.

Basically, you upload to PhotoBucket, then link to it using the icons at the top of the text editor.

Roll the cursor over the icons to reveal the "Insert Image" icon.

So, I never bothered to refinish this thing. I got an aftermarket truss cover. Had to drill one new hole but the cover covers up the old hole. Had a local engraver cut and bevel a rectangle of black-on-white plastic and drilled it to fit the old holes. Missing the cover off one of the tuners, but the only place I can find with replacements is http://www.rosetti.co.uk/Browse/Spares/Epiphone. I could buy a somewhat similar machine from them, but for ten pounds which is $16 and the machine that's on there works just fine.

I gather it's an early model FT-134, because of the blue label (so a '73 instead of a '74-'75, since they seem to have had just a three-year run). But I understood them to have adjustable bridges and this one doesn't (a good thing; I took the adj bridge off my Gibson LG-0). I think it might have been me who had the adjustable bridge replaced, because it was split but also to allow my repair wizard to lower the rather high action.

I have pix but Photobucket isn't loading for me and I can't find instructions on this site.

QUESTION: How much is it worth, with the action having been lowered and the neck adjusted (my local wizard is Steve at http://www.moonstoneguitars.com)? I only bought it to rescue it from getting junked, and I want to pass it on.

So, I never bothered to refinish this thing. I got an aftermarket truss cover. Had to drill one new hole but the cover covers up the old hole. Had a local engraver cut and bevel a rectangle of black-on-white plastic and drilled it to fit the old holes. Missing the cover off one of the tuners, but the only place I can find with replacements is http://www.rosetti.co.uk/Browse/Spares/Epiphone. I could buy a somewhat similar machine from them, but for ten pounds which is $16 and the machine that's on there works just fine.

I gather it's an early model FT-134, because of the blue label (so a '73 instead of a '74-'75, since they seem to have had just a three-year run). But I understood them to have adjustable bridges and this one doesn't (a good thing; I took the adj bridge off my Gibson LG-0). I think it might have been me who had the adjustable bridge replaced, because it was split but also to allow my repair wizard to lower the rather high action.

I have pix but Photobucket isn't loading for me and I can't find instructions on this site.

QUESTION: How much is it worth, with the action having been lowered and the neck adjusted (my local wizard is Steve at http://www.moonstoneguitars.com)? I only bought it to rescue it from getting junked, and I want to pass it on.

That website is http://www.rosetti.co.uk. Don't know why it didn't all show, let's hope it does this time.

These "Norlin era" Epiphones are not very valuable, which makes them a pretty good purchase. Condition of the neck block and quality of repair, if it has been done, and over all condition of the guitar could drastically affect the price.

In playable shape, with expected wear.. $150 - $200.00, depending on your local market and whether it has a case or not. More if it's got a hard shell case. Honestly, a hard shell case could be worth as much as the guitar.

Archived