Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Faded

Killing Is Heroism

I see one for sale at a local shop for $625 and want to check it out. As long as it feels n sounds good I'll be happy, but here is my concern. Is the paint on the LP studio faded the same as a SG faded? The neck is rather sticky on my SG (in a bad way) and I hate that feeling. I was wondering if the LP faded will eventually acquire this sticky feeling. I remember when I played one new it was really nice n smooth and i loved it immensely. I don't want to purchase a guitar that i will like now but hate later juts because regular play will make the neck and body of the guitar feel sticky and odd. I hope this makes sense, thanks!

I see one for sale at a local shop for $625 and want to check it out. As long as it feels n sounds good I'll be happy, but here is my concern. Is the paint on the LP studio faded the same as a SG faded? The neck is rather sticky on my SG (in a bad way) and I hate that feeling. I was wondering if the LP faded will eventually acquire this sticky feeling. I remember when I played one new it was really nice n smooth and i loved it immensely. I don't want to purchase a guitar that i will like now but hate later juts because regular play will make the neck and body of the guitar feel sticky and odd. I hope this makes sense, thanks!

I have owned one for going on 3 years, and have never experienced this.

If the neck is sticky, there is a reason for it. If the guitar is brand new, it could just be that the lacquer needs to cure a little longer. Should go away in a few weeks. Otherwise, the guitar has had something applied to it that reacted with the finish. If you allow lots of sweat and skin oils to soak into the finish, it could soften up. That's why you should wipe your guitars down after playing and keep them clean. If failing to wipe the guitar down isn't the issue, then what do you use to clean your guitar? Something has softened the finish. Maybe try a different brand of polish/cleaner. Don't use anything like Pledge, silicone may make the guitar look and feel shiny and smooth, but will soak into the finish and even the wood, and make any future repairs difficult and near impossible (think of headstock repairs!). Glue won't stick if silicone is present.

If the neck is sticky, there is a reason for it. If the guitar is brand new, it could just be that the lacquer needs to cure a little longer. Should go away in a few weeks. Otherwise, the guitar has had something applied to it that reacted with the finish. If you allow lots of sweat and skin oils to soak into the finish, it could soften up. That's why you should wipe your guitars down after playing and keep them clean. If failing to wipe the guitar down isn't the issue, then what do you use to clean your guitar? Something has softened the finish. Maybe try a different brand of polish/cleaner. Don't use anything like Pledge, silicone may make the guitar look and feel shiny and smooth, but will soak into the finish and even the wood, and make any future repairs difficult and near impossible (think of headstock repairs!). Glue won't stick if silicone is present.

The SG I have was sort of sticky from the start but I didn't care because even with that feeling it still played and plays really well. I am not sure what the previous owner did but he made no mention of wiping down the guitar after uses so I'm sure it is just sweat that softened the finish as you say. I'm going to play the Les Paul I'm looking at tomorrow, and I hope it is a good one. If it turns out to be what I want I'll part with my SG and some cash in a heartbeat.

They should be the same but a non faded Gibson, such as the regular Studio, is likely to feel even sticker because there are more layers of lacquer. Do you own any other guitars with nitro lacquer finishes or are you used to guitars with a poly finish (which won't feel sticky?)

Edit: Also, if you live in a hot, humid climate then that will exacerbate the problem with nitro.

Archived