Gibson Brands Forums

EPIPHONE DOT STRINGS

brisse

Hi everybody , I am a beginner guitar student, I bought an epiphone dot ebony and I d like to replace the original strings with d'addario chromes flat wound , does anyone knows what is the epiphone dot installed strings size ?

can i replace those strings with d'addario .011-.050 without any guitar adjustment ? or is it better i use gauge .010-.048 ?

I am a beginner ... but i'd like to get a warm guitar sound

thanks!

Welcome to the forum. [biggrin]

On the Dot you are going to find .010 - .046 gauge.

Yes, going to a different string gauge often means having to do small adjustments. You may have to file the nuts slots some, lower the pups slightly, or raise the bridge.

What kind of amp are you using? A nice tube amp can make your tone a little warmer as well.

Good luck! [thumbup]

I have always found that between the amp and guitar controls all is possible. A good screwdriver can do the fine tuning if need be. I have not found a stock DOT to be overly bright. Usually the complaint is muddy sounding.

Welcome... Hold on your in for a good ride...........

sbwVp.gif

String gauge choice should be based on how much bending you do. The more bending, the more you need 9's or 10's. If you do little if any bending, then go thicker. You can get a warm, full sound with 9's (as I do), by amp EQ settings, and with various magnets and pots. With some tweaking, my 9's sound as thick as most guy's 11's, and I don't have to worry about carpal tunnel or arthritis. There's been plenty of big name rockers with great tones that use(d) 8's.

• 1 year later...

I have the Epi Dot Deluxe and I use 11's, without any adjusting. I like a little heavier string on the semi hollow, and on acoustics like 12's, but thinking of going to 11's maybe 10. I use 10's on my Les Pauls and SG...but may go to 9's on Les Paul and 10 on the Dot Deluxe and 11 on the acoustics...I always feel like I am building strength playing on a little heavier string, especially on acoustic.

Just learned that 12's are considered light for Gibson SJ-200.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBAJ200

For what it is worth, I use 10s flatwound on my hollowbody and semi-hollowbody guitars and 10s on my solid body electric and 12s on my acoustic guitars. I do a certain amount of bending but not that much.

Strings, I think are a matter of personal preference.

Play well...

Pete

I have not found a stock DOT to be overly bright. Usually the complaint is muddy sounding

This. After owning my Dot for almost a year I had it totally gutted and replaced all p/u's, caps, pots, wiring, switches, etc. Had been using Elixir Nano's for a long time and recently put on a set of Ernie Ball Cobalt's. OMG!!!! Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

Epi elec's come from the factory with 10-46's btw. Going up to 11's shouldn't require more than some minimal adjustments, if any. Binding in the nut would probably be the most common problem imho.

Congrats on the Dot and welcome to the forum.

String gauge choice should be based on how much bending you do.

I don't agree with this. I bend a lot, and I use 10s and 11s on all my guitars.

String gauge choice can be based on many things, such as tone, feel, scale of guitar, etc.

The strength of your individual fingers is an important consideration as well.

Archived