Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul or Epi?

LukeS

Would it be fair to assume you are asking "Gibson Les Paul or Epiphone Les Paul?"?

My answer, in all honesty, is 'Sorry; I haven't a clue'.

I very much doubt I would be able to tell even if I was in the same room at the time it was recorded.

To judge from a multi-tracked clip posted on the internet being played back through the speakers on my laptop is absolutely impossible.

Sorry!

P.

Since the sound is recorded, there's all that processing between the listener and the guitar - no way to tell with any accuracy.

The better blind comparison is to have the subject identify an LP after handling and playing it -

the blindfolded subject is given both a Gibson LP and an Epi LP and tries to identify which is which.

Having an example of each in my stable, I think I could do it . . . . most of the time. . B)

Guest farnsbarns

Agree with all of the above, tone is tricky and in a multi track song with distortion it ain't possible, although I would bet on it being an Epi otherwise, why ask?

I do beg you pardon but I simply forgot to say I liked the track too! Very nicely done.

[thumbup]

Does it (really) matter?

Empirically speaking, of course, no, CB. But it's interesting to note that no-one so far has been bold enough to say; "Yes! That's $7,000 worth of R9 and not $400 worth of Epi whatever" or, more illuminating, vice-versa.

My personal viewpoint is that there are many things about a good re-issue which make it a finer instrument than what I've experienced about Epi LP's - not just the tonal characteristics (which can be quite subtle at 'three-stages-removed') - and, finally, by way of being somewhat of a 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card, I'd just like to point out that the guitar seen in my profile snap IS my old Epi LP so I have at least some experience with both camps' efforts.

P.

I'm not an LP guy but...

I'll say this, my "baby" bro (who's under 40) recently got one of the better Epi LPs and says it's the best playing guitar he's ever played - and he's been pickin' for well over 20 years.

The LP never appealed to me, btw.

But I'd wager that the Gibbie has a cupla things going for it that the Epi doesn't. First is better quality components. Second, and this is a bit of a mixed blessing, because of the handwork on the necks as opposed to more machine stuff, even HenryJ suggests that if possible the player try several because there will be some subtle differences that may or may not appeal to an individual player.

Given that far more than half the "sound" of a given guitar is a combination of the amp and one's ears. I'll question that most of us could tell the difference were it not on their own amp with their own settings.

Yeah, I'd far prefer a Gibbie over an Epi "equivalent," but if somebody set up a better Epi of about any style to most players' taste and a blindfold test, I think a lot of folks would be shocked at the overall quality.

If I have one criticism of today's "young folks," it's that you guys have no idea how well you have it in terms of quality instrument choices, and that ain't just in the Gibbie-Epi stables.

m

Guest farnsbarns

The noble pick is the Epiphone but it depends on what kind of condition it's in.

No, your supposed to listen and identify which he used.

He asking for some cash to reveal the answer

Ok. Enough suspense:)...drum roll....The guitar used in Black Cat Blues is an EPI!!! Yes folks.Thank you for your comments about my song too. Some people ask why I bother asking? Well, why bother putting up 2 seperate forums for Epi and Gibson LP folk to start? I had to post 10 times in the Epi forum before I could post here..why?? Seems the Gibson crowd dont want no Epi rednecks posting in their room?? :) Thanks for listening folks. Cheers,

Luke

.... why bother putting up 2 seperate forums for Epi and Gibson LP folk to start? I had to post 10 times in the Epi forum before I could post here..why?? Seems the Gibson crowd dont want no Epi rednecks posting in their room?? ....

There's more than one brand on these forums.

10 posts in other sub-forums is the rule for this sub-forum (THE GIBSON LOUNGE) - to keep spammers, tolls and knuckleheads out. Looks like you got in anyway. . [flapper]

BTW, welcome. . B)

Archived