Gibson Brands Forums

Wish me luck

ksdaddy

Going 175 miles away to a medical center today. They'll do blood work and an EKG. Pen and I will stay at a hotel tonight and then tomorrow they will do an SVT ablation. About 30 years ago I was diagnosed with a rhythm problem. One Dr said it was Wolfe-Parkinson-White Syndrome, another said Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrulation. All I know is that when my heart 'kicks out', all rhythm is gone, I'm weak, out of breath, antsy yet tired, and it last for days. It's like I have a popcorn popper in my chest. I got sick of not knowing what it was. I've been taking beta blockers for years, which control it quite well...when I remember to take them. Just sick of it is all.

So tomorrow they'll go in through an artery or vein in my leg, and run a snake wire up to the heart. I imagine it will have a camera and all that... I guess, who knows? They should be able to find the offending extra node(?) that causes the random extra spark and burn it off. Any old school mechanics here remember carbon tracking in a distributor cap? Or the extraneous sparks you get when the plug wires are in bad shape and sparks jump where they're not supposed to go? That's what's going on here.

I'm not nervous about the procedure, just don't like the waiting and anticipation. Penny will be right there so all will be fine.

Don't worry, KSDaddy. Getting a cath done is absolutely no big deal at all. I've had a couple. The last time they didn't even give me any anxiety meds.

I've had a lot of heart trouble and I know it's nerve wracking but it feels good to get things taken care of so you won't have to keep worrying about it. I would have surely croaked by now if it wasn't for the brilliant doctors who saved me.

They'll get you all fixed up and get that thing to stop flopping around on you. Maybe you'll be able to ditch the beta blockers. [thumbup]

Good luck, I hope all goes well. I have been dealing with A-Fib for a while, I like your description of a popcorn popper, I've always described it as a fish flopping around in my chest- somethimes its more like a bird.

Easier than falling off a log. I've had that done. I have a pace maker now, in fact, just got it changed out. That was easy too. What they can do with your heart these days is amazing. Hang in there. The doctors should have you good as new in no time. When everything is fixed, start working out. You'll be amazed how much that will contribute to your overall health.

Lots of luck KSdaddy,I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation just last Monday and now I'm getting treated with Warfarin and another med with hopes of getting the ticker back into the right rhythym,if not I'm going have to be shocked back into the proper beat with the paddles.Ironic isn't it-for a musician not be able to get his beats right?Anyway all the best-my thoughts and prayers for success are with you.

Good luck hope it fixes you up. Sounds like it's not a major procedure but good luck anyway. I hate going to the hospital also for any reason, but then again I spent two years laid up in one in 1986/87 and had 30+ surgeries so I think I earned my hatred of the hospital fair and square. Now I'm at 47 surgeries so far with one planned for mid april so ??? Wonder if I get gold staples or anything special when my surgery count get's to the golden 50?

Guest farnsbarns

So how did it go? I hope everything went well, give us a holler when you can...

Was gonna say just the same thing. Give us a quick hello when you feel you can!

All my best thoughts...

And... all you young guys need to watch the health so you can get old like me.

Me? Outside of learning I break 'stedda bounce a cupla years ago, I've been disgustingly overall healthy.

I just kinda hope and figure I'll be like the old poem about the deacon's one-hoss shay that was built with all top quality parts, got beat up and worn, but just kept workin' 'til one day the whole durned thing just kinda fell apart. That's the hope. Ain't sure it'll happen that way, darn it.

m

Archived