Gibson Brands Forums

Wish me luck

ksdaddy

They didn't do an ablation. I went into A-Fib while they were working on me THANK GOD. Finally someone sees what is happening other than a grainy photocopy of an EKG from 1983. I'm staying here at Eastern Maine Medical Center overnight. They want to double my metropolol and add an anti-arrythmia drug (can't recall the name) and do a stress test tomorrow.

So no 'fix', or at least nothing planned, just better meds.

Penny never left my side except for when they pried us apart so they could put me under and work on me. She's my angel. She will be my wife in about a month.

szvrm0.jpg

Guest farnsbarns

Sounds like it might have been a good thing it happened when they were there to collect data. A mixed blessing I suppose. Stay positive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard about this K'daddy. Hope you're on the mend.

I see you're checking in, if you ain't up to it, have that sweetheart Penny post how you're doing.

Besides, we all want to get know the gal that stole your heart (pun not intended but it could be). We promise we'll be nice and not embarrass you....

[sneaky]

Hello, Fellow Babies,

Sorry I didn't post sooner, but I just caught this looking over the old posts. Lot's of luck to you, ksdaddy. The catherization should be okay. But you sound like you've been dealing with this for a while, sounds like you've got a good emotional handle on it. Probably you've got more courage than me about your heart problem. Confession time: I probably shouldn't be using the handle overtherainbo; I should be using my real name, Captain chick---. I have a heart problem, but the doctors can't discuss it with me, they scare me so badly, I keep passing out...

But I have had several cath procedures, and I can assure you that you will survive the experience. The only problem I had was -- the doctors wont give me the same pain drug for daily use that they gave me for the cath procedure.... I'm pretty sure that's the same tactic for which the drug dealers get so much criticism... Kinda interesting the second time -- I don't remember much about the first time, but during the second I was conscious enough that I could listen to the doctors, the nurses, the music they were playing. I felt like I could participate by asking for explanations as they worked, but I can't remember if I did, in fact, talk to them.

Hope they can fix you up. I can sympathize with your feelings. I feel weak when my heart isn't doin' right, but my experience isn't nearly so drastic as yours; mainly I start feeling very tired starting in the small of my back and it works up to my chest. From what you describe, you have had symptoms that you could immediately identify as having to do with your heart, and that must have been incredibly upsetting. People that haven't experienced that have no idea how throughly it can undermine your confidence in every aspect of life. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that you might have had some emotional problems just doing everyday tasks.

I didn't know I had a heart problem, cause had a back injury with a long recovery, and that "masked" the heart problem. When I felt winded walking from a parking lot to my office, I just thought I needed to get back into shape. It was the stroke I had a few years back that has occupied my attention more than my heart problem. So funny thing --my fixation about feelings in my chest is mostly imaginary, because before the stroke, I never felt anything. Since then, I can't even burp or feel any kind of anything in my chest or stomach without immediately fearing, "Oh, Lord, it's happening again..." In the years after the stroke I've had a bunch of "panic attacks" -- the first three attacks were the worst, and I took some ribbing from a few idiots who like to think that they are just too tough to ever have a panic attack.

The first time the symptoms were way worse than the actual stroke, I could hardly breath and it was like staring into flashing emergency light on top of a cop car. I totally freaked, and spent the rest of the night in an emergency room. I wish I could say I overcame that sort of thing with the sheer courage and mental power of my mind, but that would be a lie. Besides people who were with me have it on tape that I begged and screamed for mercy..... Anyway, the fact is that I had to have three "panic attacks", I was pretty sure I was dying, and the ambulance rushed me to the emergency room. In my case the emergency room essentially took tests, gave me some drugs, and assured me that nothing had happened, no heart attack, no stroke, BUT... all those drugs, nurses, and tests were going to cost $1300!! So for me, three was the magic number... after the third trip, I owed the emergency room 4000 dollars.

That was what finally stopped my panic attacks, this is the one and only time that my super case of Buyer's Remorse has ever helped me. Since then, I don't care how funny my chest feels, I'm not calling the ambulance till I can see a bright, white light, and the people calling my name clearly have wings.

Several years back the docs were seriously considering fitting me up for a 3 lead bioventriicular AICD, but surprisingly, my heart started doing better. Go figure, I didn't know it could do that.

I expect that the doctors managed to scare me, and my heart just decided, "Oh no, you don't!" Being a chicken has it's useful moments.

Back in 1969 when I went for my "Pre-Induction Physical" for the draft, the doctors there said I had a murmur. They sent me to Letterman Hospital at The Precidio in SF, and they did a cath on me. When they were done, they said I was good to go....and they drafted me.

I get a thorough physical every year now, (for the last 22 years), and there's never been any sign of any murmur.

Maybe the Army felt the doctors needed to practice up on this cath technique!

Hopefully KS is also good to go now!

They didn't do an ablation. I went into A-Fib while they were working on me THANK GOD. Finally someone sees what is happening other than a grainy photocopy of an EKG from 1983. I'm staying here at Eastern Maine Medical Center overnight. They want to double my metropolol and add an anti-arrythmia drug (can't recall the name) and do a stress test tomorrow.

So no 'fix', or at least nothing planned, just better meds.

Penny never left my side except for when they pried us apart so they could put me under and work on me. She's my angel. She will be my wife in about a month.

szvrm0.jpg

Congrats on your marriage ! A good woman is hard to find

I'm glad things are looking up for you ksdaddy,I'm in the same boat and on the same meds,I'll find out in a couple of weeks if the meds got the old heart rhythm back to normal or if I'll have to get jolted back into the right beats with the paddles.Lots of luck with your continued treatments and keep us posted on your progress.

Archived