Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gibson should I play at tomorrows gig ?

EuroAussie

Sort of inspired by the money and gigging and motivation behind it thread, we have a gig at one of the two pubs tomorrow nite, and as the weekend approaches I start having fun by thinking of the set list and which guitar to use.

So, the set list is done, but Ill leave it up to you boys (and girls) to pick the guitar I shold use, might record the gig. Might be worth looking at the list and having a think which Gibby fits the bill best for these tracks ? I will only take one btw.

The venue is a place called The Globe, frequented by travellers, usually in their 20's who are visiting Prague, a few locals thrown it. A largish pub /cafe with high walls, and seating on floor and mezanine level, very nice.

http://www.globebookstore.cz/

So, if you feel like having some lightheareted fun (after the rather rough 24 hours our little community had)feel free to provide your suggestions.

So here's the set list and a poll, the winner gets the run tomorrow nite 8pm ... ;-)

1. Everlong Foo Fighters

2. Country Boy Aaron Lewis

3. Iris Goo Goo dolls

4. Personal Jesus Johnny Cash

5. Use Somebody KOL

6. Dakota Sterophonics

7. Wherever You May Go The Calling

8. Lucky Radiohead

9. Rewind Paolo Nutini

10. Mr Brightside Killlers

(Set 2)

11. Patience GnR

12. Hurt Johnny Cash

13. Behind Blue Eyes Limp Bizkit/ Who

14. Best of You Stereophonics

15. Never Tear Us Apart INXS

16. Tainted Love Soft Cell

17. I’m Yours Jason Mraz

18. Come Together Beatles

19. Beds Are Burning Midnight Oil

20. Fxxk You Lilly Allen

AllGibbys.jpg

Coz she had a sex change and became a Bird a few months back ... [biggrin]

You Bloody SEXUAL DEVIANT you EA,.....how could you!!!!!!!

This is blasphemy EA,...you will burn in Guitar Hell!!!!!

[cursing]

Out of curiosity, why do you just take one to the gigs? Most certainly the tone of one is a better fit than the tone of another for a particular tune. Is this not why we buy more than one instrument, for the tonal variation? My 45 and Bird have very distinctly different sounds, the former being much more aggressive and crisp, the latter more rounded and subtle. Being so, these tonal distinctions make one a better choice for particular tunes than the other......it's why I bought the second guitar. It's why I used to drag a Les Paul and a Strat, or a Gretsch and a Rick to gigs, for tonal variety that worked with the songs. Is it a security thing? A limited space thing? Just curious.........

Very fair question Buc, and for the big gigs like Hard Rock Cafe I take the rosewood SWD and maple J-150 and change according to track.

But to be honest, at these small gigs its mainly for sake of convenience, plus changing guitars mid set can be a momentum killer sometimes. But its mainly convenience. Also, its a challenge for me to try to adjust the attack or style of my playing on the one guitar to suit the particular song. Its sort of good practice in dynamics and approach.

But mainly coz Im lazy and dont want to drag more gear than I am already ... [rolleyes]

So having said that, whats your vote Buc .. ? ;-)

Out of curiosity, why do you just take one to the gigs? Most certainly the tone of one is a better fit than the tone of another for a particular tune. Is this not why we buy more than one instrument, for the tonal variation? My 45 and Bird have very distinctly different sounds, the former being much more aggressive and crisp, the latter more rounded and subtle. Being so, these tonal distinctions make one a better choice for particular tunes than the other......it's why I bought the second guitar. It's why I used to drag a Les Paul and a Strat, or a Gretsch and a Rick to gigs, for tonal variety that worked with the songs. Is it a security thing? A limited space thing? Just curious.........

Fair enough. I got lazy in my latter days as well, opting to play a Gretsch 6120 all night.

From you selection, my choice would be the SJ, as I am partial to short scale mahogany guitars these days. I do love my Hummingbird but the J-45TV has become my fav for it's aggressive, snappy tone.

Gotta make a choice Brannon .. in the poll .. ;-)

So far its 50/50%, your vote could make the difference [thumbup]

As much as I like all those guitars, for your set list, I would probably go for either the SJ or the J-150. [thumbup]

I voted for "the bird." Probably because I'm using mine at my Sunday gig. I find it interesting that your first three are virtually tied in votes........I suspect you know that a great many people are envious of the tough decision you have to make...lol....go get'em, my friend. [thumbup]

Ha, ha ... youre never going to get over this Spoton ... [rolleyes] ...lol ..

Look at it like this ... those Czech girls you like so much reeally go for the Bird ..much to Mrs EA's disgust.

So will you tilt the advantage to the former CW for nostalgia sake, or are you too disgusted to entertain such a move .. ;-)

Not too much love for new kid on the block, the Songwriter ...I guess he needs to earn his stripes still ..

...You mean the transgender sex-op bird. Used to be a CW, now its a bird....

200px-Itispat.jpg

](*,)

But it also looks like the Bird is making a run for it ... poor Songwriter cant take a trick. Very interesting with some 16 hours to go before deadline .... I have my preferred guitar in mind for tomorrow nite, but I wonder it the winner will be something else...

Looks like the SJ and the J-150 are tied now.

But it also looks like the Bird is making a run for it ... poor Songwriter cant take a trick. Very interesting with some 16 hours to go before deadline .... I have my preferred guitar in mind for tomorrow nite, but I wonder it the winner will be something else...

Although, the Songwriter is a great guitar. I have a Songwriter Special.

Archived