Gibson Brands Forums

Strats

FenderGuy1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to own a natural 1977 Strat with a maple neck, loved it, sold it in the 90's and I'm still sorry I did. I still own a HM Strat, which is much different than a 'normal' model, which I also like very much. But its characteristics are much more on the jackson/Charvel/Ibenez side.

Referring back to the '77, fit and finish was great, playability was really good, sound was great for clean stuff, not so much for heavier stuff even with the hot rails p/u I had in it... Overall a great guitar.

I really miss it sometimes <sniff> :(

I've just bought another Strat a MIM one in olympic white with rosewood fretboard. I actually like this one, I've bought and sold on 2 Strats before, because I couldn't get on with them, this one seems really nice and has had a nice set up by the shop I bought it from. I'm actually liking this Strat a lot. I don't know why I actually bought it either, just an impulse buy, and I really liked the colour and look. I think it's going to be a keeper, although I've not played it with the trem arm in yet, so on the whole I'm slowly changing my opinions on Strats, although Tele's will always win hands down as regards Fender guitars imo.

Tell us what your reviews are on a Strat

they're a classic and they can be pretty awesome in the hands of the right person SRV/ JIMI!Often thought about get'in 1 but the smaller neck diameter and me get'in it to sound good seems a little more difficult?! [crying] while we're on it, how does a strat with HSH sound in comparison to a gibby? any gibby similar? [confused]

One of the greatest designs of all time, but some people wear it out. I mean, I am really tired of people telling me over and over to check out this blues player, and they're like "you should listen and get some pointers because this guy cooks!". So I go and listen and I say to myself, "Self, nothing new or interesting here. Just a bunch of Stevie ripoff licks that Kenny Wayne Shepherd wore out on his first album. Awk!". And they go to me, "Kale, you should learn some of his stuff. Someday you can be as good as him.". I go, "Not to brag, but, I played those licks, on a Gibson, no less, for like a year and I wore it out. It got boring. I'd like to hear that guy play YYZ without mistakes! (which I cannot do, mind you)." They shoot back, "What is YYZ, is it a SRV song?". I think to myself "Seriously? Do these friggin' people ever listen to anything else?". So I reply, "No man, its Rush". They tell me, "Kid, don't waste your time listening to that stuff. There's no soul. It's too complicated for people to like". I go, "At least Alex Lifeson doesn't play the same ol' penatonic licks in every song!". They reply, "Well, they're not in the RnR HOF, and neither is Kiss, whom you seem to like although they're just a circus act.". I go, "Who cares!, soul is subjective. Playing is subjective. And I seriously hate it when bands just stand there and play". They go, "good musicians don't need showmanship, and BTW, why do you bring that f'n pedalboard to every gig?". I go, "It has all my sounds in it." They reply, "But anyways, you better stick to blues because playing Rush type music won't get you anywhere." I go, "Go listen to your copycat blues guy, and I'll go home and listen to Fractured Mirror. Awk!".

Anyways, Dave Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, Rory Gallagher, and George Harrison (not to mention Hendrix) make the Strat look like the guitar of the Gods. But SRV, and all of his followers wear it out like Bret Michaels wore out spandex. Awk!

My first ever, electric guitar was a "Strat!" (1964 "F" series 3-tone sunburst)...

Here it is, some 48 years later:

DSC_0022.jpg

I've had this, and at least one other (maple neck) Strat, in my arsenal, ever since.

Great guitars! Every player should have at least 1, in their collection. [thumbup][biggrin]

(I Love Telecasters, too, though!)

CB

My first ever, electric guitar was a "Strat!" (1964 "F" series 3-tone sunburst)...

Here it is, some 48 years later:

DSC_0022.jpg

I've had this, and at least one other (maple neck) Strat, in my arsenal, ever since.

Great guitars! Every player should have at least 1, in their collection. [thumbup][biggrin]

(I Love Telecasters, too, though!)

CB

NICE MAN!!!!!! A 64 Strat for your first electric? Not a bad way to ignite the GAS....

I have 5,I think that speaks for itself.

BTW: Hi CB-as soon as a laid my peeperss on yours I knew it was a late "L" series-the finish,patina and sunburst pattern are identical to the way mine was- that is until I let an "expert" talk me into letting him refinish it-of course that was many years before I developed some common sense.I stll burst into inconsolable fits of weeping and wailing and rending my clothes when I think about it.

[crying] while we're on it, how does a strat with HSH sound in comparison to a gibby? any gibby similar? [confused]

Not at all alike in my opinion. When I got my frst Strat I was a Les Paul player, and I couldn't really get on with the 'thin" sound of the lead pickup. No problem, I thought, and installed a Gibson humbucker in the lead position. The result sounded nothing like my Les Paul. It sounded like a slightly muddier version of the Strat whan played clean, and like the Van-Halen style super strats when distorted. The creamy warbling sustain of the Les Paul was completly absent. I think its down to the construcion differences ( bolt on versus jointed neck , body mass, Mahogany and Maple versus Ash and Alder, fixed bridge versus floating. ) I ve found the concept that most of the sound is due to construction rather than pickups to be particularly true in Rickenbacker basses. A Rick 4001 will not sound like a Fender, whatever pickups you put in it.

In my opinion, the Stratocaster is the most versatile solid body guitar ever invented. Everybody should own AT LEAST one.

Here's the first REAL electric guitar I ever bought. I staged this photo to match the photo above of CB's '64.

5172784228_0739816235.jpg

At one time I owned five Strats, I'm now down to three.

3470000724_88e5da7046.jpg

I've never had one, but the first electric guitar I wanted was a Stratocaster (because of Jimi). I still may get one someday. I'd like one with the big 70's headstock. I think those are pretty cool. I'd get a Telecaster first though.

Not at all alike in my opinion. When I got my frst Strat I was a Les Paul player, and I couldn't really get on with the 'thin" sound of the lead pickup. No problem, I thought, and installed a Gibson humbucker in the lead position. The result sounded nothing like my Les Paul. It sounded like a slightly muddier version of the Strat whan played clean, and like the Van-Halen style super strats when distorted. The creamy warbling sustain of the Les Paul was completly absent. I think its down to the construcion differences ( bolt on versus jointed neck , body mass, Mahogany and Maple versus Ash and Alder, fixed bridge versus floating. ) I ve found the concept that most of the sound is due to construction rather than pickups to be particularly true in Rickenbacker basses. A Rick 4001 will not sound like a Fender, whatever pickups you put in it.

thanks .allways was curious if they were similar ! [thumbup]

For all you that have vintage Strats, I sure hope they get played on a regular basis! It is the collectors that are ruining the guitar world (not concerning the music portion. That is another story...). Remember when you could pick up a vintage LP Jr. for less than $1000? Thanks a lot Leslie West...

I have a pretty large collection of guitars, low end, mid and high end ($3000 +) Most versatile and the best tone = like the chime of a bell, is my 89 MIJ Strat. Cost $400 new with nice case, it was licensed by Fender during the time of Fender's poor workmanship and bad quality period.

I put another $200 into American electronics, hardware, Pups, fret level and polish.

My jamming partner who has been playing continuously for 45 years (superb player of almost all genres) also prefers my Strat over all the guitars I have (and all the guitars he owns about 10) and none of them are dogs.

It has the big three in abundance : Tone, playability and looks. Just a great guitar.

But.. but.. I play PRS electrics and Gibson acoustics when I invite friends over to jam. The Strat is reserved for special occasions and still looks new. Though it must have about 3000 hours of play time on it.

If I ever had the opportunity to gig, the Strat is all I need both for clean sounding acoustic and over driven distortion, she's so versatile.

NICE MAN!!!!!! A 64 Strat for your first electric? Not a bad way to ignite the GAS....

Thanks, Kaleb! [biggrin] It was a present, from my Mom, on my 14th birthday. I

thought I wanted a "Jaguar," but...when we got to the dealer, it was priced out of

my Mom's budget. The dealer then said, "I have a model, that's within your budget,"

and brought out this Strat! My Mom looked at me, and asked me if I "could settle

for this one, instead?" I smiled and said: "I guess so..." (but, inside me, I was

going YES!!!!! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup][biggrin][biggrin] ) LOL Little did she know, the Strat was

my close "second choice," anyway. I don't know, if I've ever been as excited,

with any guitar purchase made, since!

Needless to say, it was the much better choice, in the long run.

CB

I enjoy Strats as much as I enjoy playing an guitar that won't stay in tune, is not intonated correctly, and has crappy pickups. I really don't get them. They are uncomfortable to play (the length between the neck and bridge is obscenely wide and they never sound good. In the nineties I owned a super start (Carvin DC127) and a Lake Placid Blue CIJ Fender Strat. Do not regret selling either of them.

The sad thing is how many of my favorite guitar players sport them: John Frusciante, Hendrix (on and off), Gilmour, Townshend (on and off), Ron Asheton, and even Lee Ranaldo plays one from time to time. Fender makes so many better guitars. Not sure why this one is more popular than the Jaguar or Jazzmaster or even the Tele.

I had a Strat for about a year.. I really wanted to like it but just didnt play it enough. i found the neck radius too small for me.. It sounded good though and was a deluxe MIM. The guy I sold it too said it sounded and played better than his USA standard.

Picture183.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture181.jpg

Back in the '60s and early '70s I played a batch of 'em in music stores and owned by friends and frankly every time added to my conviction that the Strat is not "my" guitar. Were somebody to give me one, I'd almost certainly play it a cupla hours, then it'd likely end up in the case because... it's not "my" guitar.

Why? I dunno. Probably a combination of neck, general feel and balance, and sound...

You've gotta remember I started as an acoustic player, both steel and nylon. I went through batches of electric, acoustic and acoustic-electric guitars in that '60s and '70s time period and ended up with AE stuff, HB stuff, and one p90-like pickup on a 1950s archtop.

Fender basses? Yup. Amps? Yup. Guitars? Nope. None tripped my trigger, and the Strat least of all.

OTOH, I have friends who wouldn't play anything else electric if they had their way.

I think a lot of one's opinion on the Strat comes from where we come from both in terms of getting used to, or wanting to get used to, a certain physical "feel" of a guitar and its general sound. Some folks say the SG is neck-heavy, for example, and I think it's the absolute ideal solidbody both in feel and sound. I don't care for the LP, either, for what that's worth.

So... take my opinion as you will.

A Tele? Maybe some day, but my next "guitar" is more likely another AE or a better bass.

m

Hmmmm... I guess I've never expected anything but "Strat" sounds,

out of a Strat. So, I've never been disappointed, with it. If I

want a Telecaster, or Gibson (Les Paul, SG, or ES) sound, I use

them.

As to "playing" my "Vintage" guitars? Absofrigginlutely! They've

only become "vintage" for me, because they play, and sound great,

and have lasted, both physically, and as inspiration, too...long

enough, to become "vintage!" I'm really NOT a "collector," per se.

I just (generally) refuse to sell guitars I love! [biggrin]

CB

Poland...

Why the Tele....

Two things probably. One is what seems to me to be the specific type of greater versatility in sound. I've gotta admit Roy Buchanan is whence that came, hearing him do Misty almost sounding like a pinched archtop and then blasting rock, country or blues sounding more Tele-ish.

Secondly the way the volume control can be pinky-fingered to change the attack. Buchanan did that. So, before I'd heard him, did a guy I played a lotta country gigs with in the early '70s on a Jazzmaster, but I never quite cared for that guitar, either, although he sure could make it work for him.

I guess another thing is I've never liked whammies, either. Even on the orange Gretsch, I locked the Bigsby...

I haven't played a Tele in decades, though - so I'm not at all sure I'd care for its general feel and/or its neck.

m

Poland...

Why the Tele....

Two things probably. One is what seems to me to be the specific type of greater versatility in sound. I've gotta admit Roy Buchanan is whence that came, hearing him do Misty almost sounding like a pinched archtop and then blasting rock, country or blues sounding more Tele-ish.

Secondly the way the volume control can be pinky-fingered to change the attack. Buchanan did that. So, before I'd heard him, did a guy I played a lotta country gigs with in the early '70s on a Jazzmaster, but I never quite cared for that guitar, either, although he sure could make it work for him.

I guess another thing is I've never liked whammies, either. Even on the orange Gretsch, I locked the Bigsby...

I haven't played a Tele in decades, though - so I'm not at all sure I'd care for its general feel and/or its neck.

m

I think Iam probably in the same camp!my brother has an epi tele its okay just not enough happening with it to make me spend the money for one!the one of late thats got my attn. is the riviera p93!some day! [thumbup] thanks!

I just took a deep breath on a work project and I think perhaps one of Martial's epigrams best suits how I see the Strat especially and Fender guitars in general:

Non amo te, Sabidi, nec possum dicere - quare; Hoc tantum possum dicere, non amo te.

That's the one that one might sorta translate somewhat tongue in cheek (as Tom Brown did for the famed Dr. John Fell at Oxford to save himself from expulsion):

I do not love you, Strat guitars, although why I cannot tell; This one thing I can say, I do not love you, Strat guitars...

<chuckle>

m

Archived