Gibson Brands Forums

Strats

FenderGuy1

I cannot for the life of me take a good picture of a black guitar so I ended up using my phone.

My Stratocaster, modded with all nickel hardware including a PRS (Mannmade bridge)

Awesome guitar, may paint it white one day...got it on sale at Chambers Guitars here in town, think I paid like $720 including case and taxes but they had only black.

8e5c4b05.jpg

f1cd2d05.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first started looking for a strat, I narrowed down my choices to 4 options. A late 80's Strat Plus, a Artist Series Clapton model, Artist Series Beck model, or an American Deluxe.

The day I bought my strat, I had found a music store in the Greater Toronto Area that had a 1987 Strat Plus and across the street was a music store that was an authorized Fender dealer who had several examples of the American Deluxe. They also said that they regularly stocked Clapton and Beck Arist Series models but they sold so fast that unless you paid a deposit to put the next one arriving on hold they were hard to try before you buy as they usually sold within hours of going on the floor.

The shop with the Strat Plus was closed because, according to the sign in their window, they had become PRS dealers and the whole staff had gone for the week to the PRS factory to gain some product knowledge. So, L.A. Music, the store across the street got my business. I was only in town for that one day so by default the guitar I ended up with was the American Deluxe. I don't regret it one bit. It's got all the features that I need in a strat - noiseless single coils (I believe they are actually stacked humbuckers), locking tuners, S1 switching system. The compound radius neck is comfy for me (I suspect the necks on the Clapton/Beck models would have been too bulky for me). The finish I came home with was Sunset Metallic with a rosewood fretboard.

I've since made a few cosmetic changes (pearloid pickguard and white knobs and switches) and have eventual plans to add the Clapton Midboost kit to make the guitar even more versatile. I'm also considering a Fishman Powerbridge, but I haven't decided yet. I don't usually mod my guitars, but this one was bought for me by my wife and I doubt I will ever sell it beause it's got sentimental value. I figure since this is one I couldn't see ever selling, I might as well turn it into my ultimate strat - and all the mods I'm doing are reversable in case that ever changes.

My Gibbies are perfectly fine to me as stock instruments, except I may swap out the tuners on my SG Special Faded model for locking tuners.

I love strats! I want one with a maple neck though.

I have a Fender SRV that I bought right after the NAMM show when they first came out

IMG_1562_0523_edited-1.jpg

I also have this home brew strat - body/neck from stewmac hardware either from a 72 strat, silver anniversary strat or bought from stewmac

IMG_1551_0512_edited-1.jpg

This is my personal opinion on Strats (i have to be careful as I'm very aware of being on the Gibson Forum :)). I feel that I'm able to make an educated guess because I have owned many Strats, many Teles, a few Les Pauls and even a Gibson ES-335.

I think that the Stratocaster is the best Guitar ever produced. In terms of design as well as versatility, it's a true masterpiece. Somebody on this thread mentioned that there is a Strat for everyone and I firmly believe this. Fender offer so many different choices. They cater for those who love the sound of the single coil and the Humbucker (HSS models and the Blacktop series) as well as other variations. The single coil models and the HSS models nearly sound like completely different Guitars. That's the beauty of the alder body, it allows for such a tonal difference that different pickup configurations make. I've played Les Pauls with P90s and Les Pauls with Humbuckers and the dense body never allows for much of a difference in tone, that's what i hear myself. Strats are truly the Guitar for all occasions from glassy cleans to overdriven tones with a little fettling from your amp. It's the only Guitar you will ever need for a gig. They offer a clarity and sparkle that you simply cannot get with a Les Paul. The Les Paul is very good at what it does but isn't as versatile. I've never been a fan of the Les Paul sound and I believe that the ES-335 is vastly superior in every way. It's my birthday next Wednesday and my wife is getting me a brand new Gibson ES-335 1959 re-issue fat neck in Cherry. I cannot wait!

I've currently got what I think is the perfect Strat for me. It's a 2005 Jeff Beck signature model. It has a fatter neck (i have big hands and love a nice fat neck, this is why I've gone with the 59 neck on the ES-335 and the necks on both of the Les Pauls I've owned in the past were 59 necks). It has the dual coil hot noiseless pickups which are just the best I've heard on a Strat and the perfect vibrato system incorporating the LSR roller nut, 2 point trem, no string trees and locking tuners that make sure that the Guitar never goes out of tune no matter how much you hammer that whammy bar.

DSC01423.jpg

DSC01426.jpg

DSC01424.jpg

I no longer own any Les Pauls and it's unlikely I will again in the future but I am a firm fan of ES-335s and may even get an ES-175 sometime in the future as well. I'm not a fan of Guitars that I consider to be a one trick pony and the Strat certainly isn't. :)

Beautiful strat brother!msp_thumbup.gif

Probably the biggest joy for me concerning guitars is no 2 are alike......none.

They may look the same, have the same pickups, woods, nut, shape, etc. but for some crazy reason they are all different.

For some this may be frustrating but to me is part of the mystic of these beautiful instruments.

I recently became the owner of a Gretsch White Falcon. Easily the most expensive guitar I've ever owned.

An amazingly gorgeous instrument from top to bottom that I've gassed over for many many years. It's a joy to play and the tones I get from her are heavenly.

But if you pressed me for what guitar I'd grab if I had the biggest gig of my life to play it would be my Clapton Strat.

Of all my guitars it's the one that feels right in my hands every time I pick it up.

Whichever guitar that is for you one things for sure it's a keeper.msp_thumbup.gif

I am a Gibson guy. I grew up playing them and therefore feel most comfortable with them. At the same time I just love guitars and Strats are no exception. Strangely enough I think CB hit a nail on the head that many of us miss. Expect a Strat to be a Strat. Play to its strengths.Use those well articulated, open notes to your advantage. I'm sure that everyone can hear that sound in their heads as they read this. Play a Strat that way. I confess that it did take me a while to realize this.

Strats will never replace my Gibsons in the same way that a great Les Paul will never be THE guitar to a Strat guy, but I still think Strats are great guitars. I like to collect Gibsons because of the huge diversity that you can have in a Gibson collection. Each model has so many big variations. I find a couple of Strats enough to suppress Strat GAS.

Here are mine L to R: 1962, refinished. My player Strat. More red in the burst than this pic shows. Actually a very nice refinish job in person. 1963 Candy Apple Red. All original. Tele is an all original '67.

PB215247.jpg

I am a Gibson guy. I grew up playing them and therefore feel most comfortable with them. At the same time I just love guitars and Strats are no exception. Strangely enough I think CB hit a nail on the head that many of us miss. Expect a Strat to be a Strat. Play to its strengths.Use those well articulated, open notes to your advantage. I'm sure that everyone can hear that sound in their heads as they read this. Play a Strat that way. I confess that it did take me a while to realize this.

Strats will never replace my Gibsons in the same way that a great Les Paul will never be THE guitar to a Strat guy, but I still think Strats are great guitars. I like to collect Gibsons because of the huge diversity that you can have in a Gibson collection. Each model has so many big variations. I find a couple of Strats enough to suppress Strat GAS.

Here are mine L to R: 1962, refinished. My player Strat. More red in the burst than this pic shows. Actually a very nice refinish job in person. 1963 Candy Apple Red. All original. Tele is an all original '67.

PB215247.jpg

Exactly SG just because one is more me doesn't mean I hate any of my others.

My Fender is a MIM...to me, it is just as good as any USA Fender I played. I get it: it's not made in America. But a Fender is not my main guitar; never was and never will be. Wait: my Taylor is my main guitar...should I be on another forum?? [confused] [confused] [confused]

Want to buy a couple Taylors ?take your pick for $825.00 plus shipping.both have cases and straps + case candy

Guitars153.jpg

Guitars155.jpg

Guitars183.jpg

So you bought 4 Strats before you figured out you didn't like the necks or pickups.......

Play em much?

I've never played the 50th Anniversary, bought it new and it's still that way. The natural finished one I played the most and still do,the two HSS ones I'm selling on Ebay.Then I bought two Taylor guitars and now I'm selling them too.The Gibson Custom is my choice and I've ordered a Collings.

Guitars164.jpg

Guitars081.jpg

7-27-11009.jpg

Probably the biggest joy for me concerning guitars is no 2 are alike......none.

They may look the same, have the same pickups, woods, nut, shape, etc. but for some crazy reason they are all different.

For some this may be frustrating but to me is part of the mystic of these beautiful instruments.

I recently became the owner of a Gretsch White Falcon. Easily the most expensive guitar I've ever owned.

An amazingly gorgeous instrument from top to bottom that I've gassed over for many many years. It's a joy to play and the tones I get from her are heavenly.

But if you pressed me for what guitar I'd grab if I had the biggest gig of my life to play it would be my Clapton Strat.

Of all my guitars it's the one that feels right in my hands every time I pick it up.

Whichever guitar that is for you one things for sure it's a keeper.msp_thumbup.gif

Amen! :)

Back in the '60s and early '70s I played a batch of 'em in music stores and owned by friends and frankly every time added to my conviction that the Strat is not "my" guitar. Were somebody to give me one, I'd almost certainly play it a cupla hours, then it'd likely end up in the case because... it's not "my" guitar.

Why? I dunno. Probably a combination of neck, general feel and balance, and sound...

You've gotta remember I started as an acoustic player, both steel and nylon. I went through batches of electric, acoustic and acoustic-electric guitars in that '60s and '70s time period and ended up with AE stuff, HB stuff, and one p90-like pickup on a 1950s archtop.

Fender basses? Yup. Amps? Yup. Guitars? Nope. None tripped my trigger, and the Strat least of all.

OTOH, I have friends who wouldn't play anything else electric if they had their way.

I think a lot of one's opinion on the Strat comes from where we come from both in terms of getting used to, or wanting to get used to, a certain physical "feel" of a guitar and its general sound. Some folks say the SG is neck-heavy, for example, and I think it's the absolute ideal solidbody both in feel and sound. I don't care for the LP, either, for what that's worth.

So... take my opinion as you will.

A Tele? Maybe some day, but my next "guitar" is more likely another AE or a better bass.

m

Yeah, I never felt comfortable with a Strat either, and if given the choice between a Strat and a Tele I would take a Tele. I'm happy for those that like them and enjoy playing them, but they are just not for me.

I've always liked the look of a Strat. Great styling.

But, I had never played one that felt right to me. Well, not enough to actually buy it.

I came across the one below by accident. The owner actually let me have it for a few days to try it out. After playing it for about fifteen minutes I was sold.

I had to have it.

It is not a Fender. It is made by Suhr Guitars. Hand made. Absolutely flawless.

I almost feel like a traitor sometimes. Gibsons have always been number one to me but now I can't say for certain.

I think I'll ride the fence on this one and say I love them both.

Gatineau-20111113-00255.jpg

Dave

This thread has now given me GAS and no amount of beano will cure it... oh wait that's another discussion.

I have always wanted a strat with a maple fretboard. I have a tele with a maple board and I love it.

The question/decision is should I buy one, build one, or both (provided I can save to afford both)? I've already been designing one in my head and checked out prices for a warmouth body and neck.

Thanks a lot guys!

DSC06921.jpg

I always thought I liked humbuckers over single coils until I started playing a few Stratocasters. The one that got me was this 2011 Fender American Special Stratocaster that I had no intention of buying when I entered the store, my plans were for either a Godin Multiac Nylon or a Gibson 50's Tribute P-90 Les Paul both of which I found out the store didn't have. It was only a couple of days before that I learned the American Special line even existed so I was kind of wary at least until I tried it out. This one just does it for me, I tried the American Deluxe, American Standard, Road Worn, etc. and none of them felt or sound like this one did both unplugged and plugged in. It's one of those guitars that really rings even unplugged. The second guitar in the picture is my 80's Korean Jaguar Stratocaster copy that was cheap as dirt but surprised me to say the least. Someone took out the bridge pickup at some point and put in an EMG Select that I swapped out for a Fender Noiseless which still paled in comparison to the original neck and bridge pickups, which are both warm and clear giving almost a Les Paul Les Paul tone believe it or not.

DSC06938.jpg

Then there's my Schecter Stiletto Classic that I feel is the best Stratocaster styled guitar of the bunch, though maybe not in looks it does every Strat tone you'd ever want. Completely noiseless courtesy of the EMG SA's and 81TW (which splits to give you a single coil in the bridge). It sounds like the cleanest Strat I've ever heard and holds it's tune beautifully thanks to the Gotoh Floyd Rose bridge.

Strats were made to be modded.

I put Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Blues(n), Pro(m), Area 61(br) pickups in my 1999 American Standard, and it sounds much warmer, hotter, and quieter, but still sounds like a Strat. Also put Sperzel tuners and Hipshot Tremsetter 401000 Tremolo Stabilizer, and this is now a great guitar that doesn't see a whole lot of play from me, but some still.

This is my personal opinion on Strats (i have to be careful as I'm very aware of being on the Gibson Forum :)). I feel that I'm able to make an educated guess because I have owned many Strats, many Teles, a few Les Pauls and even a Gibson ES-335.

I think that the Stratocaster is the best Guitar ever produced. In terms of design as well as versatility, it's a true masterpiece. Somebody on this thread mentioned that there is a Strat for everyone and I firmly believe this. Fender offer so many different choices. They cater for those who love the sound of the single coil and the Humbucker (HSS models and the Blacktop series) as well as other variations. The single coil models and the HSS models nearly sound like completely different Guitars. That's the beauty of the alder body, it allows for such a tonal difference that different pickup configurations make. I've played Les Pauls with P90s and Les Pauls with Humbuckers and the dense body never allows for much of a difference in tone, that's what i hear myself. Strats are truly the Guitar for all occasions from glassy cleans to overdriven tones with a little fettling from your amp. It's the only Guitar you will ever need for a gig. They offer a clarity and sparkle that you simply cannot get with a Les Paul. The Les Paul is very good at what it does but isn't as versatile. I've never been a fan of the Les Paul sound and I believe that the ES-335 is vastly superior in every way. It's my birthday next Wednesday and my wife is getting me a brand new Gibson ES-335 1959 re-issue fat neck in Cherry. I cannot wait!

I've currently got what I think is the perfect Strat for me. It's a 2005 Jeff Beck signature model. It has a fatter neck (i have big hands and love a nice fat neck, this is why I've gone with the 59 neck on the ES-335 and the necks on both of the Les Pauls I've owned in the past were 59 necks). It has the dual coil hot noiseless pickups which are just the best I've heard on a Strat and the perfect vibrato system incorporating the LSR roller nut, 2 point trem, no string trees and locking tuners that make sure that the Guitar never goes out of tune no matter how much you hammer that whammy bar.

DSC01423.jpg

DSC01426.jpg

DSC01424.jpg

I no longer own any Les Pauls and it's unlikely I will again in the future but I am a firm fan of ES-335s and may even get an ES-175 sometime in the future as well. I'm not a fan of Guitars that I consider to be a one trick pony and the Strat certainly isn't. :)

Happy Birthday !!!

look at my voodoo chile cover, and u will see what a strat copy sounds like

I saw it, and no offense to ya, but THAT DID NOT SOUND LIKE A STRAT!!!!! I think it was because of the solid state amp distortion.

Archived