Gibson Brands Forums

Strats

FenderGuy1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fully agree with the comment about there being a strat for everyone.

I have owned 3 strats over the years. My very first guitar was a squier Strat. I had it for about two months before I upgraded for an Epiphone sg. Best trade I have ever made. The guitar just fit me like a glove and my playing ability skyrocketed. But I still had a hankering for a strat.

About 8 months later, I bought an American deluxe series strat. It was complete garbage. It just sounded terrible. That was the last time I ever bought a guitar without playing it. I returned it one week later and bought a Gretsch Malcolm Young signature.

Fast forward a few years down the line. I had an explorer I was desperate to unload and wanted a few hundred quid to take my (then) girlfriend on a nice weekend away. I loved the explorer, but it was strictly a "number 2" guitar to my Les Paul and the case wasn't worth the hassle. One of my friends happened to be interested in the explorer, so he offered me a trade. A MIJ strat and two hundred pounds.

I had been disappointed by strats in the past, but I took the bait as it solved my money issues and still allowed me to have two guitars. Upon plugging in the strat for the first time, I was amazed. It sounded incredible. It was a dream come true. This strat was just 100% rock and roll. I was in love. Unfortunately, a few months down the line, I was desperate for money (again) and sold the Strat. I wish I still had it. Now that I'm living in Japan, I hope to make up for my mistake by finding a nice MIJ strat.

Edit: As for the MIJ strat I had. The guy I sold it to was not a fan of strats, so he offered to sell it back to me at the same price if I could come up with the money within 3 months. I came up with the money and told him I wanted to buy it back. He told me to meet him in the pub with the money. When I got there, I saw that he had (rather clumsily) relic'd the guitar and was now asking twice the price. Needless to say, I never bought the guitar back off him.

You have great taste BG65 your Strat is almost identical to my Jimmie Vaughn,that's except for the large headstock.The Jimmie Vaughn sounds very close to the "L" series Strats that Jimi Hendrix recorded with on his first 2 albums-it has that lovely clear bell-like chime to it.

You have great taste BG65 your Strat is almost identical to my Jimmie Vaughn,that's except for the large headstock.The Jimmie Vaughn sounds very close to the "L" series Strats that Jimi Hendrix recorded with on his first 2 albums-it has that lovely clear bell-like chime to it.

i want a vintage strat now, thanks for that [thumbup]

Archived