Gibson Brands Forums

String/pin/saddle laboratory on the J-45

onewilyfool

I've tried a lot of combos on the J-45. Recently tried a bone nut with Bob Colosi bone pins.....and found the combo way to "brittle" and "jangly". Have any of you found this? So I switched back to the regular plastic pins, with a tusque compensated saddle I had. Also, have tried almost every combo of strings, but am now trying Newtone Master Class 12-54's. These strings have a round core, pull less tension, and have a nice sound. I'm zeroing in on the best sound. I was playing at my cafe gig this am, and just LOVE the J-45 for signing and playing. There is something about that short scale, and warm mids, that can't be beat.

I've tried a lot of combos on the J-45. Recently tried a bone nut with Bob Colosi bone pins.....and found the combo way to "brittle" and "jangly". Have any of you found this? So I switched back to the regular plastic pins, with a tusque compensated saddle I had. Also, have tried almost every combo of strings, but am now trying Newtone Master Class 12-54's. These strings have a round core, pull less tension, and have a nice sound. I'm zeroing in on the best sound. I was playing at my cafe gig this am, and just LOVE the J-45 for signing and playing. There is something about that short scale, and warm mids, that can't be beat.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/83501-chimes-like-a-bell/ See this thread.

When did you get a J45, OWF?

That one slid past me! We probably need a few more details (year?).

I had a similar thing happening when I had the Blues King converted to all bone, and also with a Martin 000-15 a few years ago.

I am really happy with both guitars now, so I really think the bone additions need breaking in. Play it! (or TRite?)

I use Gibson MB mediums on the Blues King and Martin SP lights on the Martin.

BluesKing777.

You talked about it at some point – never knew you actually took the step (or did I forget a thread).

You should tell about the process. Was this on your wish-list for a long time – did you have any before and such.

You as a small body player and performer purchasing and adjusting to a slope is worth hearing about.

My guess = A Standard

I got a J-45 standard a while back trading a Guild guitar for it. Although only a 2005, it was nicked up, and has a Fishman pickup, so a good gigging and performance guitar. I put the new tones on it, after trying to get Elixirs to sound good, just couldn't find the right combo stings, I tried PB's and 80-20's and Elixirs and they just sounded "Jangly" Previous owner had put on Colosi pins, which just made the guitar too bright. I replaced them with the original plastic pins and settled on a bone saddle..I've got it pretty dialed in now, and it sounds pretty good now.

I tend to use bone saddles on my acoustics, but I discovered that if I use coated strings, the sound becomes too bright, I found that the best match for coated strings is tusq saddle...hey OWF, I noticed the same bright tendency with bone pins.

Have you tried wood pins? I think they're definitely darker than bone pins.

I tend to use bone saddles on my acoustics, but I discovered that if I use coated strings, the sound becomes too bright, I found that the best match for coated strings is tusq saddle...hey OWF, I noticed the same bright tendency with bone pins.

Have you tried wood pins? I think they're definitely darker than bone pins.

How do wood pins hold up over time?

When I put the bone saddle, pins, and nut in my j45mc it didget brighter. But it also got better note clarity, increased sustain and volume. For the most part I have settle on DRSunbeams (12s), which are warm sounding strings. They are round core and PB. My guitar has either mellowed in the last two years, or my ears have adapted to it, but I am very happy with the sound I get. The added brightness was worth the trade off for the added note clarity and sustain (which is not too much). But if the tusq works better for you stay with it.

chasAK

When I put the bone saddle, pins, and nut in my j45mc it didget brighter. But it also got better note clarity, increased sustain and volume. For the most part I have settle on DRSunbeams (12s), which are warm sounding strings. They are round core and PB. My guitar has either mellowed in the last two years, or my ears have adapted to it, but I am very happy with the sound I get. The added brightness was worth the trade off for the added note clarity and sustain (which is not too much). But if the tusq works better for you stay with it.

chasAK

I'm still with bone saddles, but i think the tusq can be a good choice for some bright sounding guitars.

Archived