Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Customs Now Use Richlite Boards.

Malchik

I played a midtown and it seemed pretty nice to me and I didn't realize the custom now come wih a rich lite board. I did see one of the classic customs and the baked maple was very dark so it didn't look to bad at all. I wonder if it sounds any different there's none at the GC around here yet .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played a midtown and it seemed pretty nice to me and I didn't realize the custom now come wih a rich lite board. I did see one of the classic customs and the baked maple was very dark so it didn't look to bad at all. I wonder if it sounds any different there's none at the GC around here yet .

I would think that the richlite would give a guitar a slightly brighter tone because it is so dense. The baked maple does the samething. However, unless you listen closely and have really good ears you probably will not notice any difference.

I have one of the Classic Customs and they are SWEET!!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Has anybody played the new custom richlite yet? I really want to know their thoughts. I am in the market to purchase a silverburst lp custom.

Thanks

I've played a Midtown Custom with the richlite board and it was Great.

If I was blindfolded and told it was Ebony I'd have believed it in a second. Very smooth to the touch and very dense to my inquisitive fingernail. I suspect it also has great 'transfer of tone' properties.

I'm not sure why someone earlier says they thought it felt like crap. I suppose it's best to try one for yourself and see which camp you're in.

P.

I've played a Midtown Custom with the richlite board and it was Great.

If I was blindfolded and told it was Ebony I'd have believed it in a second. Very smooth to the touch and very dense to my inquisitive fingernail. I suspect it also has great 'transfer of tone' properties

I'm not sure why someone earlier says they thought it felt like crap. I suppose it's best to try one for yourself and see which camp you're in.

P.

Thank you kind sir..

I own just about every type of fretboard there is: maple, rosewood, ebony, and yes, the dreaded richlite! And to the extent that I can tell, it feels, to the extent that I am even thinking about it!- like ebony.

I personally think that there is a certain romance to aged natural wood, but from a performance point-of-view, there is very little difference.

I own just about every type of fretboard there is: maple, rosewood, ebony, and yes, the dreaded richlite! And to the extent that I can tell, it feels, to the extent that I am even thinking about it!- like ebony.

I personally think that there is a certain romance to aged natural wood, but from a performance point-of-view, there is very little difference.

Agreed! Some people just can't break the mindset that a fine guitar can only be made of exotic and/or rare woods, and that's just not true. Some people also complain that Gibson uses CNC machines. However, the real difference and critical point is the hand finishing. That's where it really counts. If Michael Angelo would have had a jackhammer available when he did his sculptures, he would have used it, and the final end result would have been the same: a fine work of art.

I've stated this in some other threads on this forum, but I'll mention it again here. I hated the idea of substituting Micarta (basically the same as Richlite) when Martin started using it in 2001 for their 16-series fingerboards and bridges. Vowed I'd never own a guitar utilizing that stuff instead of real wood. Turned out that spending some time actually playing a new Midtown Custom changed all that, and I brought it home. My example has one of the most comfortable and well executed fingerboards I've experienced on a Gibson.

I've stated this in some other threads on this forum, but I'll mention it again here. I hated the idea of substituting Micarta (basically the same as Richlite) when Martin started using it in 2001 for their 16-series fingerboards and bridges. Vowed I'd never own a guitar utilizing that stuff instead of real wood. Turned out that spending some time actually playing a new Midtown Custom changed all that, and I brought it home. My example has one of the most comfortable and well executed fingerboards I've experienced on a Gibson.

I have made a decision to purchase the les Paul custom and see for myself. I can always return it if I do not like it. I have concluded that the craftsmanship put in on the custom is why it is a custom. Not the fingerboard!! I am looking forward to playing the silverburst and making the decision for myself. I have always dreamed of a custom after owning two standard Paul's... I figured it was time to get classy. Haha.

I will let you all know my thoughts when Gibson has completed my order..

Thanks for the info and advice everybody.

Play On....

I have made a decision to purchase the les Paul custom and see for myself. I can always return it if I do not like it. I have concluded that the craftsmanship put in on the custom is why it is a custom. Not the fingerboard!! I am looking forward to playing the silverburst and making the decision for myself. I have always dreamed of a custom after owning two standard Paul's... I figured it was time to get classy. Haha.

I will let you all know my thoughts when Gibson has completed my order..

Thanks for the info and advice everybody.

Play On....

Please post back with your verdict, but I'm sure they're great! [thumbup]

• 2 months later...

There's no rule that the best guitars had to have an ebony fretboard. I always put the sound of the guitar first along with the quality it was built and playability. I don't see how richlite changes any of that. I wonder how many people could tell the difference in the sound between two identical LP Customs with the only difference being the fretboards and identify the sound to the fretboard material? Only more experienced players could feel the difference when playing it. Are the Corvettes today the same as they were in the 50's and 60's? Nope, they've changed too.

I know a lot of people romance about the idea of a guitar that's been handmade of exotic woods and required a few hundred man hours of skilled hand labor to build and finish. I have the same nostalgia for such things too, especially for fine English and Italian side by side shotguns that take over 1000 man hours of skilled hand labor. Unfortunately, that's not the reality any more.

Exactly..... NONE of these whiners could tell the difference in a blind comparison.

I've since mellowed on the concept of Richlite. I'd even buy a Custom with one.

I understand the hesitation people have when something is new, esepcially when laying down a few thousand bucks.

After trying some guitas with richlite in stores and doing some reading/research about it I have no issue with it, and I bought a Martin with a richlite fretboard. I love it!

I hope all guitar makers will be able to offer guitars made from traditional materials as well as new materials. Nothing like variety.

I have been playing for over fifty year and in that time I have owned a lot of guitars. My most recent purchase is a Midtown Custom and the finger board is a non issue. It plays and feels no different than my Les Paul. If an old guy like me can except that things have to change, then surely all you youngsters can. I restored a 1968 Mustang GT Fastback to show condition and I personally loved it, but my daughters new Mustang GT will blow it away when it comes to handling. I am a stubborn old fart who can no longer afford (had my first heart attack) to stress over such trivial things as Richlite and new Mustangs… life is just to dam short. Driving the car and playing the crap out of all my guitars is what it is really about. Keep on Rocking … we will be just fine.

• 2 months later...

My LPC Lite (with factory Floyd) is too rare and irreplaceable to leave the house, so I'm looking for a new LPC. As I'm reading about this new material, I'm seeing that it used to be used for countertops (a la Formica). The question I have about Richlite is, how does it take lubrication? (Yeah, I know I just opened up a can of innuendo there, sorry) I don't like hard finished Maple fingerboards or graphite because anything like lemon oil whisks away almost instantly. I played a Steinberger for several years and grew to hate that fretboard surface, so I'm afraid of synthetics.

If that doesn't meet my needs, I guess there's eBay. Anyone know what is the date of the last Ebony fingerboards?

My LPC Lite (with factory Floyd) is too rare and irreplaceable to leave the house, so I'm looking for a new LPC. As I'm reading about this new material, I'm seeing that it used to be used for countertops (a la Formica). The question I have about Richlite is, how does it take lubrication? (Yeah, I know I just opened up a can of innuendo there, sorry) I don't like hard finished Maple fingerboards or graphite because anything like lemon oil whisks away almost instantly. I played a Steinberger for several years and grew to hate that fretboard surface, so I'm afraid of synthetics.

If that doesn't meet my needs, I guess there's eBay. Anyone know what is the date of the last Ebony fingerboards?

Richlite boards do not need to be oiled. This material will not absorb any oil, and it does not need it. Like any other material you can find a variety of quality. The richlite I've tried have been on Martin acoustic guitars, and it is excellent.

The difference between maple fretboards like what Fender uses and the (torrefied) baked maple that Gibson uses is that Gibson's baked maple fretboards are not sealed. So you can oil Gibson's baked maple fretboards and they will absorb it. Maple is very dense as is ebony. If you like ebony then there's a very good chance you'll like the baked maple.

Of course the only way to find out is to honestly and openly try guitars with richlite or baked maple to find out. IMHO, they are not lesser materials.

P.

I said it felt like crap because it did. It felt dry, dead and well, like paper. It was smooth but in all the wrong ways.

This material will not absorb any oil, and it does not need it.

Thanks, I think that's what I needed to know. I prefer the feel of a greased-up (actually lemon oiled-up, but you know what I mean) fingerboard. The Steinberger didn't cut it with me because any oil I put on it would be gone in an instant. Sounds to me like Richlite is similar to that.

The music store options in my area are pretty limited, even the Guitar Center doesn't have anything with Richlite, Baked Maple, Granadillo or Obeche yet. Just Rosewood (on the Gibsons). I'll try out Richlite when I run across one, but I'm thinking it's probably not for me.

Thanks, I think that's what I needed to know. I prefer the feel of a greased-up (actually lemon oiled-up, but you know what I mean) fingerboard. The Steinberger didn't cut it with me because any oil I put on it would be gone in an instant. Sounds to me like Richlite is similar to that.

The music store options in my area are pretty limited, even the Guitar Center doesn't have anything with Richlite, Baked Maple, Granadillo or Obeche yet. Just Rosewood (on the Gibsons). I'll try out Richlite when I run across one, but I'm thinking it's probably not for me.

Certainly everyone has differences of opinion and preferences to how something feels. I really like a dense, smooth fretboard. So baked maple, ebony, and richlite are my what I prefer. I certainly like rosewood too, I have it on my SG Standard.

Be aware that some folks just love to whine for the sake of whining. What really makes me laugh is when someone trys to claim how terrible a guitar with richlite or torrefied maple sounds. I guess they forget just how bad the tone sounds when they fret a note over one of those acrylic inlays, and makers like Rickenbacker have been using torrified maple on their fretboard for decades. ;)

Definitely try them to find out for yourself. I hope your find what's best for you.

makers like Rickenbacker have been using torrified maple on their fretboard for decades. ;)

Is that what that is? Man, I wanted a 4001/4003 bass for so many years... until I played one. It had a lot of problems — gaps in the binding, very cheap looking pickguard — but ultimately it was the thick layers of polyurethane (or whatever they use) on the fingerboard that turned me off. It wouldn't matter what wood was underneath that much clearcoat.

I used to have a '77 LP Standard in Trans Amber with a very plain Maple cap (everyone called it a "Birch top") which I regret selling and have occasionally looked to find another. The Baked Maple would probably look cool on that configuration.

Archived