Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

j45nick

A "new" little bundle of joy arrived at my doorstep yesterday, from deep in the heart of Arkansas. The delivery stork left a note saying she was a small creature, but could be noisy at times.

What do you think she is? Should I keep her? I've taken in an awful lot of strays over the years.

L-00005.jpg

L-00007.jpg

L-00014.jpg

Maybe a late 30s LG-00 ?

She sure is pretty. And it looks like maybe she's had some tastefully done clean-up/restoration. Definitely a keeper.

Whatever she is, she's a beauty!

Congrats dad . . . . . now - what kind of cigars are you passing around? . B)

Hmmm, don't know but I am a likin' it.

Because that thing is so cherry I would off the cuff assume either it is a reissue or a guitar that has been restored. If so that is the best job I have ever seen. Anyway based on the logo and some other things I would say it is a wartime L-00 probably a 1943.

C'mon Nick ya ain't gonna keep me in the dark are ya. I gotta know.

Well, you can count on zombywoof and now J1854me to have their eyes on straight.

For a long time, I've been looking at 30's-40's small-bodies. As you would expect from guitars that have lived 70-80 years, a large percentage of them have undergone a lot of repairs, a lot of modifications, or both. The L-OO's in particular are extremely lightly built, and after decades of use, they are showing their age. I don't mind cosmetic issues, but I do mind complex structural problems.

Most that I looked at were on the verge of--or well past--needing a neck set, and often a re-fret and board divot repairs. I missed what appeared to be an absolutely cherry mid-30's L-OO a few weeks ago, when I got outbid at the last second after setting the aboslute maximum I was willing to pay.

So I started looking at alternatives. One was a cheap, but totally (and incorrectly) refinished mid-30's L-OO that needed a neck re-set, probably re-fretting, and lord knows what else. Even if I had it re-finished properly, I would have spent a lot of money, and it would be a re-finished guitar.

Then I found this one, which was on consignment at a store in Little Rock.

This is one of the 1937 L-OO Legends, supposedly a direct copy by Ren of Lee Roy Parnell's 1937 L-OO. I suspect that original would have a white logo, however. Other than that, it's an unbelievably good copy: adi top and braces, Honduras back and sides, madagascar (not laminated [biggrin] ) board and bridge, fabric side stays, no finish under the pickguard, all hide glue, repro period tuners (which I could do without). On the inside, at least, it appears to be a perfect repro.

The finish appears to be what I would call semi-VOS: it's not a perfect high gloss. That's OK by me.

This is not a new guitar. It was sold to me as a 2007, but it actually carries a 2010 serial number, and the inspection card also has a late 2010 date.

These are not cheap, but it cost me dramatically less than any vintage L-series I looked at that was in comparable condition. Since I'm a player as much as a collector, I thought that was a reasonable trade-off.

Interestingly, the frets are the flatter semi-jumbo type, presumably because Parnell's original has been re-fretted several time. That profile is actually a bonus for me, as it is the fret style I much prefer.

Anyhow, she's a sweet little thing, although she needs a bit of a setup to play the way I want.

I've been introducing her to her vintage siblings, who are suitably unimpressed.

Thank you as I can now get back to work without checking the forum every 15 minutes to see if you gave us the answer.

Nice, nice guitar. I saw something on youtube (I was probably turned on to it here) comparing an original and Legend Series L-00. I would say it was about as close as you are gonna get with two guitars built so many decades apart.

Congrats!

.... This is one of the 1937 L-OO Legends, supposedly a direct copy by Ren of Lee Roy Parnell's 1937 L-OO. I suspect that original would have a white logo, however. Other than that, it's an unbelievably good copy: adi top and braces, Honduras back and sides, madagascar (not laminated [biggrin] ) board and bridge, fabric side stays, no finish under the pickguard, all hide glue, repro period tuners (which I could do without). On the inside, at least, it appears to be a perfect repro. ....

Great find and very nice.

Congrats. . B)

The combination of the gold logo and firestripe scratchplate was what so confusing.

But man, I am green with envy. The Legend L-00 is one of only two Bozeman-made Gibsons that are guaranteed to send me running for the drool bucket (the other is the Jackson Browne Signature)

The combination of the gold logo and firestripe scratchplate was what so confusing.

That threw me a bit too, but then I saw the fingerboard which really looked like Madagascar, which I am pretty much certain they did not use in the '30s. Also, the condition was a bit out of this world nice, so...... [biggrin]

Fred

Archived