Gibson Brands Forums

Soundhole p'up advice please?

jedzep

Howdy all. I've had a 25 yr old Lawrence pickup forever, rarely using it except for slide playing. The technology has to have improved in all that time. I'd like your feedback on a specific purpose...to accurately duplicate the acoustic tone as closely as possible. Funny how some reproduce a duller response, others are more shrill. Do you have any favorites and/or recommendations?

Interesting post/question...

Something I have considered over many years with varying results...

It probably kicked off with the piezo bridged Ovations in the 70's

Prior to that were the several magnetic soundhole P/U's evolving from the original J160e type approach

All of which had more or less limitations and compromises...often poor 'acoustic' simulation

Some well-respected guitarists use inner or outer mounted miniature mics on a stick (lavalier), which is probably the best acoustic sound possible...but more prone to ambient feedback....

V

:-({|=

Interesting, as that seems to be the direction I'm being led in by snooping around on my own. They all need a pre-amp ( I think) which is a minor pain in the tukus. Thanks for that.

To my ears the LR Baggs M1 is very acoustic. They are releasing a new apparently improved version soon (M80). I use it on my J-45 and 000-18GE and I'm very pleased with the amplified tone.

I'll be looking at all of 'em. Believe it or not, the old Lawrence sounds fairly true to tone through a Fender Princeton if you juggle the dials a little. My ancient L0 is the guitar I'd like to hook up.

To my ears the LR Baggs M1 is very acoustic. They are releasing a new apparently improved version soon (M80).

Thanks for telling us about the M80. I hadn't heard about it yet. I went to the L R Baggs website and there is a good video about it there. It says it will be available early spring. So it would be worth waiting a few weeks if you can to get one of these. I have been so pleased with the M1 active, so I think these will be great. I like the fact you can tell how much battery life there is on the M80 as that is not possible on the M1A. Also the new one (M80) has a switch so you can use it as either an active or a passive pickup.

I have a Fishman Rare Earth in my D-28 that sounds terrific, and the J-45 tv I just bought had a Seymour uncan Mag-Mic sound hole pickup, that sounds really good too ! And they are both black - not sure I would be able to take the light colored appearance of the new M80 for very long - but I'd sure love to hear one in person when they come out.

I have a 14 year old Mimesis single coil - Now known as the Fishman Single coil Rare Earth.

Played through a Trace Elliot TA50 the sound is great. In certain conditions, though, it can be noisy.

Such as playing near a computer screen, energy efficient house lighting(Coil bulbs).

So, a double coil may be a better choice.

I have a 14 year old Mimesis single coil - Now known as the Fishman Single coil.

Played through a Trace Elliot TA50 the sound is great. In certain conditions, though, it can be noisy.

Such as playing near a computer screen, energy efficient house lighting(Coil bulbs).

So, a double coil may be a better choice.

Important note if you're using internet lessons.

This should help if you are between Lr baggs M1 and Fishman rare Earth. The player is a lttle too Micheal Hedges influnced but you can still get a good idea on the sound of each....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y21iKFPUPxs

Ok, I am fairly certain now of three things:

1.) This kid is probably not addicted to video games.

2.) I like the Baags, but am not willing tho give up my Rare Earth, so I guess that rationally justifies staring to hunt for a new guitar that I can dedicate to install the M-1, or perhaps M-80 when it comes out.

3.) No matter how gracefully I age, I will never play the guitar as well as that guy.

Archived