Gibson Brands Forums

Tinnitus.. anyone else have this?

Rabs

As a 64 year old guitar player and drag racer,years ago I was bothered by loud music and the tuning of 8500 rpm race motors. A friend who was a retired military flight deck hand got me a liquid filled headset that is unique in that it enables you to hear conversation but blocks out earpiercing noises that will kill your hearing. I still have them to tune engines in the garage and for shooting at ranges-they work very well. Most of my guitar playing is at managable volume levels so I just use the small foam ear plugs and at my age my hearing still works fairly well. I was employed for years in a aerospace machine shop and hearing protection was mandatory so I got used to wearing protection.If interested check out some of the shooting supply outfits for the gel or liquid filled hearing protection-it works!

Yeap I know what you mean here, I've worked in many factories that required plug's, that's how I got use to them, they don't bother me at all. I've gone into some club's with PA systems that where much to powerful for the size room and seen people hanging out with no plugs and wounder how they where even standing it. :-k

I don't have tinnitus, but I hear voices and noises when it's quiet so I somewhat feel your pain.

I like to play loudly, feel the sound waves physically assault me, and be able to produce feedback drenched guitar due to the volume, not the amount of distortion. I wear ear protection and I hope my listeners do too. Years ago I dropped the cash for these - http://www.sensaphonics.com/?p=331 . Best investment I have made. For those of you that need ear protection or those that use foam ear plugs, please treat yourself right and get a pair of high fidelity musicians earplugs.

Back 30 years or so I went for an Air Force OTS physical. The hearing test seemed to go well, until the doc asked me "How long were you in the artillery?" Showed me what frequencies I missed completely. I said, no cannons...just a rock band. His comment was ..."same thing!" :rolleyes:

I don't have tinnitus, but I hear voices and noises when it's quiet so I somewhat feel your pain.

I used to get that too, started wearing earplugs and it went away. The guys tried to make fun but I was the only one that didn't have to read lips after playing for 4 hours straight.

I used to get that too, started wearing earplugs and it went away. The guys tried to make fun but I was the only one that didn't have to read lips after playing for 4 hours straight.

To be honest, it's kind of entertaining because it's not like a single, distinct voice saying things to me. What it sounds like is listening to a room full of people having random conversations, but at a really low volume level. Occasionally I pick out random words. I wonder if I am hearing noises from out in the universe or a gaggle of spirits?

To be honest, it's kind of entertaining because it's not like a single, distinct voice saying things to me. What it sounds like is listening to a room full of people having random conversations, but at a really low volume level. Occasionally I pick out random words. I wonder if I am hearing noises from out in the universe or a gaggle of spirits?

I'll go grab the straitjacket :)

Stuck my head right in front of the PA during a loud DEVO concert just to prove I could do it. When it gets that loud, you really can't tell. You get to a maximum volume and there is nothing more after that except things just rattle and the molecules in your brain just start reforming themselves. The ringing now is always present, just much louder at some times than others.

Be smarter than me and protect your hearing while you're young.

Last year I had a bout of tinnitis but it passed after avoiding loud noises for a couple of months.Anything that was either bit loud would trigger an attack that be very painful and irritating.Even sudden outbursts of laughter could cause me considerable discomfort.I bought a set of drummer's earplugs that have 2 sets of plastic baffles to provide varying degrees of hearing protection without affecting the frequencies.The plugs are called Vater Percussion and have very soft and comfortable silicone buds that block out any extrinsic loud noises.

BTW:When I got my hearing tested because of the tinnitis,the results were 100% in each ear,both the doctor and I were pretty surprised over that fact because of the many years of being subjected to extremes of volume and high frequency feedback etc. The doctor said that I should be able to hear grass grow,my hearing is that sensitive,a bit of hyperbole no doubt but a good indication of just how sensitive my hearing is.

Thanks for this post. It is really encouraging. I suddenly got bad tinnitus in my left ear about 5 months ago, following a bad sinus infection. Loud noises do definitely make it worse, for example, if I have a shower (loud running water) before I go to bed I can really hear it. I started wearing ear plugs around the house and it did seem to tone it down a bit. And the whir of the computer seems to aggravate it too. It is a horrible thing [crying] I am going to pick up those drummer ear plugs and see if I can get it to go away.

Thanks for this post. It is really encouraging. I suddenly got bad tinnitus in my left ear about 5 months ago, following a bad sinus infection. Loud noises do definitely make it worse, for example, if I have a shower (loud running water) before I go to bed I can really hear it. I started wearing ear plugs around the house and it did seem to tone it down a bit. And the whir of the computer seems to aggravate it too. It is a horrible thing [crying] I am going to pick up those drummer ear plugs and see if I can get it to go away.

Luckily your tinnitus is a physical anomaly - no nerve damage. It might go away with time. It's kind of funny, most people with tinnitus require noise to drown-out the ring, and here you are avoiding it.

I always wear earplugs religiously now, but I have tinnitus bigtime. Every night while I wait to fall asleep I hear, "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE." Every minute of every day, actually.

Too many shows with the Fender Twin or Marshall stack (or both!) dimed.

Earplugs, kiddies. Wear them whenever you go see live music, crank your amp, or play with a drummer. Believe it or not, you hear the music better with plugs in, and it's far easier to talk to people amid the din.

That way, you can still enjoy the sensation of your shirt & pants being blown back by the SPLs without the hearing damage. Ain't nothin cool about preventable hearing loss.

I hear a lot of talk about hearing loss and tinnitus. The two are not the same.

Tinnitus occurs when the outer hair cells are damaged (and become permanently active because of that damage). These cells amplify the sound so you're able to hear things that are really quiet. If the sound or noise around you gets loud enough, the amplification switches off. Since hair cells are each responsible for a different frequency (ranging from 20Hz to 20kHz) the tinnitus doesn't affect the entire frequency spectrum (mostly high frequencies).

Tinnitus is caused by these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91ubWbScs4&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo9bwQuYrRo

The inner hair cells are the cells connected to the auditory nerve and will cause hearing loss when damaged. They are also each responsible for their own frequency and again the high frequencies are easily affected. (There are 3 times less inner hair cells, so protect them well!)

So it's perfectly possible to hear properly and have tinnitus.

I can't stress enough that wearing earplugs is the only way to avoid problems when playing loud gigs or going to parties. Everybody is shouting anyway, so you will not be cut off from the people around you.

Over many years of jams and gigs and being stupid enough not to get ear plugs I have had tinnitus for many many years now (probably since my early 20s)..

Now for those who havent got it or dont know, you get tinnitus when you are subjected to loud noise for too long and as far as I know what happens is the hairs in your ears that pick up sound wear down after a while and you begin to loose certain frequences or something like that. This results in you being able to hear a constant high piched ringing sound in your ears.

Now its not something thats too bad (at least not for me), even though its always there it doesnt seem to interfear with my hearing as when im not thinking about it I dont hear it.. The only time always hear it and its a bit annoying is when I go to bed and its quiet.

So does anyone else have tinnitus? Is it worse than it effects me? Will it get worse with time even if I protect my ears from now on?

Not sure when I first noticed it but my right ear (right side) has been entertaining me for more that 20 years with 69db Tinnitus, with a variety of sounds. This comes from playing the guitar in loud bands 50 some years ago, working on electronics machines and just getting old. Live with uit; there is nothing that can be done.

It's worth mentioning some other conditions connected to tinnitus

Some fairly obvious but relevant anyway

Tinnitus usually increases with colds and 'flu and, as mentioned, ear infections particularly

High blood pressure can be forewarned by tinnitus

As can inner ear infections linked to dizziness and vertigo

Some musicians live a pretty unhealthy lifestyle...poor diet, smoking, drug use, excess alcohol etc

Which can perpetuate the cycle of infections....

In addition...the invention of mega-loud amplification in the 60's was a learning curve for the naive recipients

For many, exacerbated by drug and alcohol intake to chase a 'new high'

As Noddy Holder was wont to suggest...

Come on Feel the Noize!!.... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

"Fraid so. 52 years old, ringing in both ears. I used to stand on the far RH side of the stage, with my left ear facing the guitar amps and monitors. That's the ear that is now well below average for my age. I started wearing plugs in my 40s but it was too late. I was gratified to see tham most of the younger musicians I worked with in the 90's had started wearing plugs at an early age.

It does have its amusing moments. A few years ago, I was woken by my wife, who had evidently lept out of bed and was pointing at the floor and shouting "fire fire." My basement studio was right below our bedroom at that time, so I assumed that something had caught fire down there, I shouted "get out of the house", grabbed an extingusher, and began working my way towards the basement, staying low, and feeling each door for heat as I opened it. I made it all the way to the studio without even a hint of smoke, and found nothing. I made my way back upstairs somewhat annoyed. The spousal unit was sitting on the bed looking quizical

Spouse: What the hell are you doing in the basement - and why do you have a fire extinguisher ?

Self: There's no fire down there - why did you think there was a fire?

Spouse: What fire?

Self: You pointed at the floor and said there was a fire

Spouse: I pointed at the floor and said there was a spider - I was wondering why you were telling me to get out of the house, it didn't look that dangerous. . .

"Fraid so. 52 years old, ringing in both ears. I used to stand on the far RH side of the stage, with my left ear facing the guitar amps and monitors. That's the ear that is now well below average for my age. I started wearing plugs in my 40s but it was too late. I was gratified to see tham most of the younger musicians I worked with in the 90's had started wearing plugs at an early age.

It does have its amusing moments. A few years ago, I was woken by my wife, who had evidently lept out of bed and was pointing at the floor and shouting "fire fire." My basement studio was right below our bedroom at that time, so I assumed that something had caught fire down there, I shouted "get out of the house", grabbed an extingusher, and began working my way towards the basement, staying low, and feeling each door for heat as I opened it. I made it all the way to the studio without even a hint of smoke, and found nothing. I made my way back upstairs somewhat annoyed. The spousal unit was sitting on the bed looking quizical

Spouse: What the hell are you doing in the basement - and why do you have a fire extinguisher ?

Self: There's no fire down there - why did you think there was a fire?

Spouse: What fire?

Self: You pointed at the floor and said there was a fire

Spouse: I pointed at the floor and said there was a spider - I was wondering why you were telling me to get out of the house, it didn't look that dangerous. . .

You do realize that the stories that could be told about this sorta stuff could fill a couple of threads! :-#=P~

I've had tinnitus since childhood... probably due to nerve damage in my inner ear. I've gotten

used to it over the years, but still can be a royal pain. Playing drums and guitar definitely didn't

help much to alleviate it. lol

If you're fortunate enough to not have to experience it, imagine the frequency wave sounds of an analog syntheziser but

it feels like it's embedded in your brain.

Archived