Gibson Brands Forums

What was your first car?

dem00n

101_0181_595.jpg

'67 Beetle with factory sunroof that was restored, looked exactly this one. it was cute but a bear to drive and eventually had reliability issues.

wish i had an american muscle car, the closest i got was an AMC Gremlin, looked just like this one but a beater:

OzGremlin_8612_1000-700x420.jpg

i had the white walls, hubs caps and thought it was cool but it too had engine problems. also had no working fan and only an am radio in it. it was the only american car i've ever owned.

another beater i had was a '78 Corolla. again, not as nice as the one pictured. the puny 1100cc engine was fine but the axle went out after i drove it up a huge steep hill to a fancy hilltop restaurant.

toyota-corolla-1978.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'93 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4. I farmed a lot in high school, plus it came in handy for hunting, fishing, etc. Never got stuck in it, I'd probably get another one but I hear the newer ones have pretty terrible transmissions.

1973 Nova, painted highlighter yellow. Previous owner had it souped up with the best of the best and it was a beastly 5.0 Mustang killer on the streets. Not a serious contender at the track though - high 12s, low 13s. Blew the motor after a while & scrapped the car, but put the Nova's hopped-up trans (TH350) in a stripped-down 1955 Bel Air sport coupe. Trans is set up to hit 2nd gear HARD at 60 mph ... let to several spinouts in that lightened '55.

My first car was a 1950 Ford Custom, Black with dual chrome spot lights, a black visor, 3 spd w/overdrive. It had been a police car had dual water pumps, which if you know Ford flathead V-8's you know that was a good thing...

1950-Ford-black-le.jpg

My second car was a 1961 Austin Healy Sprit Bug Eye, I still had my Ford..good thing! Lucas Electronics in the British cars invented darkness...

My Third was my fav. a 1959 El Camino, Black with a wraparound rear window, the orig. motor was replaced with a 327.

-1959%20wip%20-%20black%20and%20red%20with%20chromes2.jpg

I had a 1948 HD Knuckle Head bike too! Black w/ Chrome springers, up pipes with quarter moons tail pipes, suicide clutch and a side car! I thought my mom was going to kill me when I brought it home, but my dad took it away from me....and rode the hell out of it!!! Some sob stole it and smashed it into a brick wall, good news is he died...bad news, so did my bike.:angry:

Thats cool.. we had such nasty looking cars over in the UK compared to what you guys got over there.. id love to even drive one of those old muscle cars.. AWESOME!! :)

Yeah, really nasty looking like:

Aston Martin

MG (Had 2 loved them)

Triumph (Have a TR-6 Love it)

Jaguar

Lotus

TVR

Austin Healy

Jensen Healy

I could go on. Nasty looking? NOT.

My 1st car was shared with an older Sister. 1957 VW Beetle with an excellent paint job in Red White & Blue. Someone before us did a cool job on it. The cops use to stop it a lot (this was 1970) to tell me that it was a cool paint job, but it needed some "stars" added to it. Remember, the 70's and getting stopped by the cops to tell you about stars wasn't always that much fun, if you know what I mean!! [scared] Name was "Old Glory" of all things. Moved next to a like new 1964 Bug (Red) the next year as the sharing was getting hard to do.

Some really great looking rides here guys. [thumbup]

Aster

My first car was a 1950 Ford Custom, Black with dual chrome spot lights, a black visor, 3 spd w/overdrive. It had been a police car had dual water pumps, which if you know Ford flathead V-8's you know that was a good thing...

1950-Ford-black-le.jpg

My second car was a 1961 Austin Healy Sprit Bug Eye, I still had my Ford..good thing! Lucas Electronics in the British cars invented darkness...

My Third was my fav. a 1959 El Camino, Black with a wraparound rear window, the orig. motor was replaced with a 327.

I had a 1948 HD Knuckle Head bike too! Black w/ Chrome springers, up pipes with quarter moons tail pipes, suicide clutch and a side car! I thought my mom was going to kill me when I brought it home, but my dad took it away from me....and rode the hell out of it!!! Some sob stole it and smashed it into a brick wall, good news is he died...bad news, so did my bike.:angry:

What excellent cars & I'd like to have seen the Knuck too. I'd prolly trade all three of my Harley's for an El Camino like the black one shown! Always loved them & think that they'd sell if brought back. A hell of alot better than the Chevy VOLT that's for sure.

We had a 4 door 49 Ford (standard model after the war cars were just starting to become available again (so I'm told as I wasn't around till mid 50's). Just imagine my parents & 4 kids riding from IA to Tenn each year in that little guy. We were happy as can be and somehow didn't need a dang micro-bus to make the journey (Just under 700 miles & no A/C).

I'd go back and do it all again!! [biggrin]

Aster

1950-Ford-black-le.jpg

These cars represented a time when a car was a car..... Although you might confuse a '49 & '50 Ford, no one could miss a '59 Chevy ....and an El Camino, besides!

Aston Martin

MG (Had 2 loved them)

Jaguar

Lotus

TVR

Austin Healy

Jensen Healy

My 1st car was shared with an older Sister. 1957 VW Beetle with an excellent paint job in Red White & Blue. Someone before us did a cool job on it. The cops use to stop it a lot (this was 1970) to tell me that it was a cool paint job, but it needed some "stars" added to it. Remember, the 70's and getting stopped by the cops to tell you about stars wasn't always that much fun, if you know what I mean!! [scared] Name was "Old Glory" of all things. Moved next to a like new 1964 Bug (Red) the next year as the sharing was getting hard to do.

Aster

HAHA yeah I know we had some nice cars.. But im talking about the ones I could afford and back then ALL of those cars were just a dream.. I had like £600 to spend and that was it.. Let alone the fact that a new driver probably woldnt be insured on a sports car like that :P (or it would have cost more than the car) ( I started driving in the late 80s).

Im not saying that there were no nice cars.. but lets face it when you see what our US friends had on offer, id have loved one of those old muscle (looking) cars..

For me I was always partial to the TR7 cos it had lights that flip up and down.. but even by the time I started driving they had pretty much become extinct..

I was only ever able to look at old fords or vauxhalls, stuff like that was all I was able to afford.

anyways.. :)

I was brought up in a small town car/motorcycle dealership and shop, so I honestly can't remember when I started driving. Then Dad decided to go back to school and get a cupla degrees and after high school, I first was in a college that didn't allow underclassmen to have cars.

So I was 19 before I got a 1955 Chrysler New Yorker St. Regus. Hemi. The owners manual stated, and I'll never forget it, "When driving at sustained speeds of 120 miles per hour or above, reinflate tire pressures two to three pounds."

Then a batch of others, usually Chryslers with apparently unlimited top end until an Austin Healey 3000 entered the mix, then a Sunbeam Alpine because my girlfriend at the time thought the Healey too uncivilized with the side curtains and here, functionally without any heater. She blew the Alpine's engine when the oil pump failed and she didn't watch the gauges. Oddly she did a great downshift in the Healey which had been a major factor in her favor earlier.

That takes us up to about 1973... and my fastest car that was a Chrysler with a 383-325 horse engine that easily cruised at roughly double the speed limit anywhere I was gonna drive.

Ah youth... <grin>

Aster... btw, I had the '55 in Des Moines...

m

These cars represented a time when a car was a car..... Although you might confuse a '49 & '50 Ford, no one could miss a '59 Chevy ....and an El Camino, besides!

Yea, I just found the pic's online, my Ford was a 4 door, but everything else was like the one in the pic. Guess how much I paid for the El Camino? $600.00!

My best friend had a white 58 Bel Aire with a 348, moons red trim,. They really made nice cars back then, but gas was .28 per gal, and 120 octain..and they pumped it for you...

Remember those Sat. nights we would cruise to A&W, be served by sweet things in min skirts on roller skates, go to the drive in and party like Nero and spend $12.00 for the whole enchilada....we didn't know how good we had it.

Jax...

100 percent on our different world in youth.

Half the population, twice the functional ability to put cash toward a life instead of ... taxes and inflated (relatively) prices on everything.

I say that loving the potential of the Internet for learning and frankly much better quality guitars and more amp and string options than back then.

Seriously though... I'm glad I won't be around for four times the population and the 25 percent of quality of life and freedoms that inevitably follows.

m

What excellent cars & I'd like to have seen the Knuck too. I'd prolly trade all three of my Harley's for an El Camino like the black one shown! Always loved them & think that they'd sell if brought back. A hell of alot better than the Chevy VOLT that's for sure.

We had a 4 door 49 Ford (standard model after the war cars were just starting to become available again (so I'm told as I wasn't around till mid 50's). Just imagine my parents & 4 kids riding from IA to Tenn each year in that little guy. We were happy as can be and somehow didn't need a dang micro-bus to make the journey (Just under 700 miles & no A/C).

I'd go back and do it all again!! [biggrin]

Aster

What was really cool about those Ford flatheads w/overdrive trans, they were so quiet...and mine got good milage. Until I put a Offenhauser intake manifold with 3-two barrel carbs.

Even then with a progrssive linkage it would do pretty good. Over heating was the big problem. but still, I loved those old flatheads

Aston Martin

MG (Had 2 loved them)

Jaguar

Lotus

TVR

Austin Healy

Jensen Healy

Aster

Gluten for punishment huh? I have owned several air cooled VW's, two bugs, one Karmen and a van, leaking oil cooler O-rings, never ending valve adjustments, vacume leaks that seem to apear out of nowhere., one sucked a valve right off the valve stem, sent it through to block busted the cam shaft, what a mess.

I had a 61 AH Sprit Bug Eye that I loved to drive, like sitting in a heavy go-cart. top speed was 80 on a good day, had to pray every time you went somewhere that the voltage regulator would burn up....but if you ever got stuck in the sand three guys could pick it up. I had it in for some work at a shop in Palm Spring back in 68'. There was a Ferrari 250 GT in the shop that had just had a tune up and a new clutch installed, the shop owner said I could buy it for $6,000.00! In 1968 you could buy a house for $10,000.00, I was 18,,couldn't afford it..What would that be worth today?

first car (was my dads but was "mine" during the weekends was an ex rental opel corsa 1.0 with all of 45 BHP !

like this but white

opel_corsa.jpg

first car I ever bought (new) was a 5 door daihatsu charade .. not a bad little car.

then the first decent car i bought when i was 24 was a 5th gen honda prelude man i loved that car.

now we have an 8th gen Accord and an Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6

Wow, hod did I miss this thread? My first car was a '55 Ford convertible, but looked nothing like this one:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1955-ford-fairlane-sunliner-convertible-coupe.htm

It was about '64 or so. Mine was a true multi colored junk yard special. Let's just say that Mom wouldn't let me park it in the driveway! [laugh]

Archived