Gibson Brands Forums

What was your first car?

dem00n

Me the last guy to have a hemi? Sheesh. We've had similar threads before.

I'll admit I never had the old '55 much over 130 or so. Or the 61 383 much over 140 or so. Okay, more likely pretty close to 150 - enough so it really went "swish" nicely when you passed somebody.

Great fun was sliding past a 'Vette in a corner with the Healey and then popping the overdrive switch on the dash. Or, with the windshield removed, driving under a semi. <chortle>

Hey, I haven't always been old.

And... don't forget either, I was brought up working on Hemis even before I was a teenager.

Simply because one is rather conservative and bookish in some aspects of life doesn't necessarily mean there aren't other avenues... Like doing a capoeira demonstration in western Brazil. <grin> That red dirt never did come out of my dress shirts, though. Hadda toss 'em.

m

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me the last guy to have a hemi? Sheesh. We've had similar threads before.

I'll admit I never had the old '55 much over 130 or so. Or the 61 383 much over 140 or so. Okay, more likely pretty close to 150 - enough so it really went "swish" nicely when you passed somebody.

Great fun was sliding past a 'Vette in a corner with the Healey and then popping the overdrive switch on the dash. Or, with the windshield removed, driving under a semi. <chortle>

Hey, I haven't always been old.

And... don't forget either, I was brought up working on Hemis even before I was a teenager.

Simply because one is rather conservative and bookish in some aspects of life doesn't necessarily mean there aren't other avenues... Like doing a capoeira demonstration in western Brazil. <grin> That red dirt never did come out of my dress shirts, though. Hadda toss 'em.

m

Dumbest thing I ever did was ride a motorcycle 130 mph. just when I rolled off the throttle to slow down a rabbit ran in front of me..If I had not slowed down just before it ran out in the road we would both be grease spots. I was in jeans, a t-shirt sandles, no helmet....

Jax...

Or what's really worse when you think about it.

A friend had a front Ujoint in a front engine/rear drive car drop and catch the pavement at normal highway speed. Believe it or not, he came out of it okay.

That's kinda a reminder that we often take even risks we're not aware are risks.

m

Dumbest thing I ever did was ride a motorcycle 130 mph. just when I rolled off the throttle to slow down a rabbit ran in front of me..If I had not slowed down just before it ran out in the road we would both be grease spots. I was in jeans, a t-shirt sandles, no helmet....

had the BLUE JEANS any dark spots anywhere after that? sort of a similar experience was rid'in a 360 honda on the gravel at about 60 mph! came over a hill and the nieghbors feeder pigs had gotten loose on the road could'nt stop so just focused on keepin it up right and hit a 60 lb'er mid section! [scared] well kept it upright some how but the old adrenaline was pump'in!pig made it to the side of the road and that was it for porky pig!! 8-[ was some what like a large speed bump! [sad]

Jax...

Or what's really worse when you think about it.

A friend had a front Ujoint in a front engine/rear drive car drop and catch the pavement at normal highway speed. Believe it or not, he came out of it okay.

That's kinda a reminder that we often take even risks we're not aware are risks.

m

I saw the same thing happen to a semi hauling hay down interstate 8 at Alpine Cal. The driver wasn't so lucky

1968 Dodge Coronet.

That was your first car?

What was under the hood?

Can you imagine what that would be worth in good shape today?

Always been a big fan of the 67-69 Chargers. Preferably HEMI equipped.

That was your first car?

What was under the hood?

Can you imagine what that would be worth in good shape today?

Always been a big fan of the 67-69 Chargers. Preferably HEMI equipped.

It had a 440 Magnum in it. I got a steal, paid $500 for it when I was 18 back in 86-87. It was primer gray, ready for paint.

Yes - LOL, I am well aware of what it could be worth today. Unfortunatly, I wrecked it into a stone wall on a side street in olde town Conyers, GA. It caught fire. Teens, mucle cars and rain are not a good combination. LOL!

The 2nd car I got was a 1978 Trans Am.

I wasnt going to mention this car until I found some pictures and scan them but I had a 1929 ford T bucket hot rod.The frame was from an original model ford 1929 model T so it could be regestered as a antique car and it helped my insurance rates.The car is hard to explain but the front tires were 14's and the rears were 21's.The engine was completely open and had a 392 Chrysler Hemi with dual Carter 850's on the edlebrock dual quad manifold and a two speed push button trani.I'm still looking for pics I would love to post them.

In the interium this is a picture I found on Ebay This it is Not my Car Mine was a bit different but the body style is the same, mine was all red with tons of chrome.I'm still trying to find my pics but at least you get the idea of what it looked like.

2767487010043544858S500x500Q85.jpg

It had a 440 Magnum in it. I got a steal, paid $500 for it when I was 18 back in 86-87. It was primer gray, ready for paint.

Yes - LOL, I am well aware of what it could be worth today. Unfortunatly, I wrecked it into a stone wall on a side street in olde town Conyers, GA. It caught fire. Teens, mucle cars and rain are not a good combination. LOL!

The 2nd car I got was a 1978 Trans Am.

Sounds like you got the same kind of deal as my brother. Around 1979 he paid $500 for a 73 Charger 440 magnum. The guy that sold it to him had to get rid of it because his 16 year old son wanted to drive it and had previously "borrowed" it. The second time the motor blew was the end of the car.

I have a couple of buddies that are still into their 60's and 70's muscle cars. Mostly Mopar. Big investments. It makes guitars seem cheap by comparison.

Sounds like you got the same kind of deal as my brother. Around 1979 he paid $500 for a 73 Charger 440 magnum. The guy that sold it to him had to get rid of it because his 16 year old son wanted to drive it and had previously "borrowed" it. The second time the motor blew was the end of the car.

I have a couple of buddies that are still into their 60's and 70's muscle cars. Mostly Mopar. Big investments. It makes guitars seem cheap by comparison.

Yeah, I would love to have an old Charger or Coronet again, or a HEMI Cuda! I miss shredding the pavement! I drive a 2005 Ford Escape now, LOL - 4 cyl of ground pounding fury. Yeah - Right. <_<

Yeah, I would love to have an old Charger or Coronet again, or a HEMI Cuda! I miss shredding the pavement! I drive a 2005 Ford Escape now, LOL - 4 cyl of ground pounding fury. Yeah - Right. <_<

to make you feel better just think of what it would cost to fill'er up!! [scared]

In 1971, I got my mom's 1965 Ford Mustang with a 289 engine. My grandfather actually bought it for himself on his 75th birthday, then sold it to my mother. Obviously, it was really up to me to break it in, which I did in spades. As nice as the engine was, the car was actually a POS! A classic, though.

Price tags on cars?

I got my first car, the Chrysler with the hemi for $75. Ran it until it blew a timing chain and... sold it for $75. Five years later I saw the same car being driven around in a town 90 miles away from where I'd sold it.

Then I had a 59 Plymouth, then the 57 Chrysler 4-door hardtop (great for dating or driving to a small gig), the the 59 Chrysler, then the 61 Chrysler... Yeah, there's a pattern there somewhere.

I think I got the 61 for like $500 with low miles and it was the fastest four wheels I've owned.

m

Price tags on cars?

I got my first car, the Chrysler with the hemi for $75. Ran it until it blew a timing chain and... sold it for $75. Five years later I saw the same car being driven around in a town 90 miles away from where I'd sold it.

Then I had a 59 Plymouth, then the 57 Chrysler 4-door hardtop (great for dating or driving to a small gig), the the 59 Chrysler, then the 61 Chrysler... Yeah, there's a pattern there somewhere.

I think I got the 61 for like $500 with low miles and it was the fastest four wheels I've owned.

m

did any of those old gals have the )(*&&&^^^^%%%$$ WONDERFUL push button shift?? [cursing]

I would kill to drive some of the cars you guys had. msp_thumbup.gif

My first car, and the car that am still driving, is a 1996 Dodge Stratus ES. It's a POS. We have to take the damn thing to the shop every other week. I just replaced all the speakers in the car because it still had the 15 year old factory speakers in it and they were all starting to make annoying crackling noises. My new speaker system sounds fantastic though. It's the only good thing about that car.

I would kill to drive some of the cars you guys had. msp_thumbup.gif

My first car, and the car that am still driving, is a 1996 Dodge Stratus ES. It's a POS. We have to take the damn thing to the shop every other week. I just replaced all the speakers in the car because it still had the 15 year old factory speakers in it and they were all starting to make annoying crackling noises. My new speaker system sounds fantastic though. It's the only good thing about that car.

What speakers did you put?

Archived