Gibson Brands Forums

Fret sizes on different LP's and your favorite.

JohnnyRingo

After playing Gretsch hollowbodies for years I got used to smaller frets,but about a year ago I started playing my LP again and after some time got used to them again.It is a '92 Studio and I loved those frets,as they were tough/durable and just the right size.Unfortunately,I had it refretted recently with what was suppose to be medium jumbo size frets and the harder grade wire.Not stainless steel,but better than average.Sorry,but I'm not as "up" on frets as I should be and that very fact came back to bite me with this last refret.The new frets are more comfortable starting at the 9th fret and up,but some seem flatter than others and still not high enough to do dig into that well.The first few frets are basically useless,even way lower than any Gretsch.My luthier has got to sort it out for sure,but I need a bit of help knowing what it is that I want.Can someone tell me what the probable stock fretwire was on an early 90's LP and the strength of it?Also,I'm interested in what others like in fret size and thier style of music.

Did'nt mean to ramble +:-@ .

you bring up something interesting, my first Les Paul was a 77 Standard and every time I would take it in to have a setup the luthier would say to me you need to think about a refret soon and I would always say no the frets were perfect it truly felt like a fretless wonder and it only took 30 years to get that way.

in the 70s and 80s I remember it was popular for guitarist to have the frets filed down for a smoother action,which I think, facilitated the need for a refret sooner than normal, I believe that Gibson has it right with the medium jumbo frets.

how used is your Les Paul? does it have a lot of play wear? are you the original owner?

Archived