Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone looking for a post war j 45 ?

JuanCarlosVejar

folks ,

I think this might be a great chance for anyone who is looking for a well kept post War time j45.

the photos show little wear and the description says it has recieved littple play time .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1946-Gibson-J-45-Mahogany-Top-Acoustic-Guitar-Unreal-Sound-Exc-Cond-/120857537496?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c23ababd8

I hope someone here gets that beauty if it were a lefty I would have purchased it by now.

JC

the guy is open to offers so I think if someone is interested they can try an get a lower price.

personally I think that it shows checking more than serious playing wear.

but It would be odd that a guitar that old doesn't have checking .

so If I were in for a banner J 45 I'd buy it (but that is just me).

the guy is open to offers so I think if someone is interested they can try an get a lower price.

personally I think that it shows checking more than serious playing wear.

but It would be odd that a guitar that old doesn't have checking .

so If I were in for a banner J 45 I'd buy it (but that is just me).

mmmhh yea maybe.. but if you look at pic of back of neck .. it's certainly been played a fair amount..which of course you would expect from a guitar this age.. but for him to claim very little playing time..

I don'y know ? something about it.. don't like the look of the PG either..is that shrinkage ? what would that do to the top?

I know nothing about these vintage guitars.. but am learning some on here.. I'd love to own one ..maybe soon.. but i would never buy one from ebay or unseen and played.

mmmhh yea maybe.. but if you look at pic of back of neck .. it's certainly been played a fair amount..which of course you would expect from a guitar this age.. but for him to claim very little playing time..

I don'y know ? something about it.. don't like the look of the PG either..is that shrinkage ? what would that do to the top?

I know nothing about these vintage guitars.. but am learning some on here.. I'd love to own one ..maybe soon.. but i would never buy one from ebay or unseen and played.

Well JT is the expert here on banner era guitars

so let's wait and see if he has something to say.

but to me it looks in good condition considering the age (but I don't know that much about these guitars either).

Nick has a 48 J 45 i believe he can comment on this subject too

JC

Well, for starters, it's not a banner era strictly speaking, since there's no banner. This must be immediate post-war, since it has a one-piece back and a mahogany top, which would not be my choice for a player, but that's just me.

There is no close-up shot of the frets or fretboard in the first position, which would give an idea of how much play it has really had. The issue with the pickguard appears to be that someone had their name in stick-on lettesr of some type at one point. The residue might be tricky to remove, as I have learned the hard way that celluloid pickguards don't like solvents.

I saw this for sale recently, but for me, the best J-45's of that era have spruce tops. Others might prefer "hog on hog".

Be intersting to know if it has a FON.

Well, for starters, it's not a banner era strictly speaking, since there's no banner. This must be immediate post-war, since it has a one-piece back and a mahogany top, which would not be my choice for a player, but that's just me.

There is no close-up shot of the frets or fretboard in the first position, which would give an idea of how much play it has really had. The issue with the pickguard appears to be that someone had their name in stick-on lettesr of some type at one point. The residue might be tricky to remove, as I have learned the hard way that celluloid pickguards don't like solvents.

I saw this for sale recently, but for me, the best J-45's of that era have spruce tops. Others might prefer "hog on hog".

Be intersting to know if it has a FON.

cheers nick

says no FON.. and if you look at bottom pics..looks like the PG has warped or something similar... coming away from body? looks like it's shrunk.. is this possible or am I getting my ideas muddled?

folks ,

I think this might be a great chance for anyone who is looking for a well kept post War time j45.

the photos show little wear and the description says it has recieved littple play time .

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c23ababd8

I hope someone here gets that beauty if it were a lefty I would have purchased it by now.

JC

I was looking for one until yesterday!

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

I dunno .... I recentl played two early 50's J-45's and while they were nice they actually werent that good. The J-45TV next to them sounded more alive and responsive, but still with the vintage tone ... at half the price of this one.

sorry Nick , you're right I thought that banner era was the correct term for that period .

I'll correct the title to post war time .

JC

Look how low the saddle is, particularly on the bass side. He even admits the action is high. Chances are it needs a neck re-set.

Frankly, it's too much money in my book, but I don't have the luxury of collecting for the sake of collecting.

I dunno .... I recentl played two early 50's J-45's and while they were nice they actually werent that good. The J-45TV next to them sounded more alive and responsive, but still with the vintage tone ... at half the price of this one.

I think your feelings are not all that unusual. I know more than a few folks who own a TV model and came away disappointed after they got their hands on a couple examples of 1940s or early 1950s guitars (some of which were owned by me). Old School Gibson tone ain't everybody's cup of tea.

folks ,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1946-Gibson-J-45-Mahogany-Top-Acoustic-Guitar-Unreal-Sound-Exc-Cond-/120857537496?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c23ababd8

JC

Looks 'delicious' to me... [drool][drool]

A little on the fence over the fingerboard. But, I bet I could learn to love it.. [lol]

Archived