Gibson Brands Forums

Who do you prefer to buy from online?

RRIDER

I like MF because they ship free and don't charge sales tax, plus I can use either their coupons or those from GC. That said, I've not bought a guitar from them yet (I will be soon). Had good luck with Sam Ash too (two Les Paul Studio 50's Tributes bought from them, one from the warehouse and one from their NYC retail store).

I have read of others not happy with MF,i personally have had all good purchases from them..5 total guitars,i think..3 acoustic and 2 V's,i keep forgetting my acoustic bass.One of the 2 v's and 1 acoustic were flagged unplayable so were 1/2 price,in reality i twinked the truss rod on 1,and had the frets reglued on the V and level'd,even though only one fret was pulling up,the entire repair cost $45-$50.So i received exactly what i expected.I much prefer to buy something after playing first..but im not too good for the scratch and dent MF either,long as the dings are not on the face,im down w/ 1/2 price.Keep in mind im referring to gits under $1000.If fate ever allowed me to buy a gibson,i would not have it delivered in a brown box and left at my gate.

I've never purchased a high-dollar guitar from the internet. Doesn't mean I won't eventually. I've had good luck with purchases from Musicians Friend. And although I haven't purchased anything from them, I've heard lots of good things about Sam Ash......Also, just a side note----From what I understand, GC doesn't own MF. MF is a huge distributor, GC is one of its major clients, and both GC and MF are owned by the same corporation.....or something like that.

t

Speaking of Musicians Friend-----the warehouse is 15 minutes from my house. They used to have (until three years ago) a retail store attached to the warehouse. WHAT A PLACE TO LOOK FOR INSTRUMENTS! Those were definilty the good old days. :rolleyes:

I am considering buying a new guitar, but can't find anyone local that has one in stock..I can find only one color online at Sam Ash, but a decent selection in most colors online at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. I know GC owns MF, but which would you have more faith in to get an undamaged guitar from?

WHAT guitar are you planning on buying? Brand name may make a difference in pricing or dealer reputation.

[confused]

I appreciate all the feedback. A lot of you mentioned Sweetwater...I have made several purchases from them and have been pleased with their service. The same with AMS, but I've never bought a guitar from either one, but neither of them have a single LP Classic Custom in stock. They will let you pre buy one with an estimated date they expect to get them from Gibson...But I remember how long some of you that pre bought waited for the 50's Tributes, although circumstances were different back then because of the flood. I have bought from Sam Ash with no problems. Online SA shows they have the cream LPCC in stock..In the store they couldn't confirm it. There appears online that several Guitar Centers have some. I called a couple of them and they were sold, or didn't recieve them...Online it showed the local GC had Goldtops in stock..I checked there, they said they never recieved a GT, but did have 1 cream that sold a few weeks ago. I did talk to one of the most helpful sales person I've ever encountered in Guitar Center. He checked what their computer showed was in their distribution center..It showed only about 10 of the LPCC's...He ordered one for me, I should have it in 3-5 business days. He said If I don't like it for any reason he would happily refund my money or try to get me a different one. He said he would like to have one in the store anyway, because he knows it won't stay in the store more than a couple of days.

I don't like buying a guitar without playing it first, and especially sight unseen..but it seems if I want a Classic Custom it's the only way I'm going to get one.

Also, just a side note----From what I understand, GC doesn't own MF. MF is a huge distributor, GC is one of its major clients, and both GC and MF are owned by the same corporation.....or something like that.

I can't say for sure either way. I was just going by what I had heard and read. I know everything on the internet isn't always correct. I pasted below what I read about GC owning MF.

"In 2000, Guitar Center purchased mail order and Internet retail house Musician's Friend for $50 million, asserting that the merged company was the world's largest seller of musical instruments."

I bought a new ES 335 from Musicians Friend last year and was pleased with the service. They called before they shipped the instrument to let me know that their inspection had found two tiny black dots in the finish, and ask if I wanted to see it, or wait for another one to arrive ( 335's were on backorder at that time) My 52-year old eyes couldn't even see the dots! (A nineteen year old intern at work finally located them). That instrument was in their "private reserve" section. I don't know how that are on cheaper stuff.

I can't say for sure either way. I was just going by what I had heard and read. I know everything on the internet isn't always correct. I pasted below what I read about GC owning MF.

"In 2000, Guitar Center purchased mail order and Internet retail house Musician's Friend for $50 million, asserting that the merged company was the world's largest seller of musical instruments."

Maybe their both owned by the "dreaded" Bain Capital?? [scared]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain_Capital

I've used MF several times and the only problems I've had have to do with Fed Ex and not MF. They've been very careless about how they treated some of the packages, for example tossing an Epi Masterbilt over our back fence with "This side UP" pointing down (fortunately no damage) among other atrocities. Probably the fault of a particular driver and not endemic with the company.

Brad

Archived