Gibson Brands Forums

"That Tone" tail chase

charlie brown

Milod,

I don't think the beatles were exactly known for their tone. Perhaps when they first came out people thought so, but I never hear anyone trying to sound like George. Perhaps unless they are playing the intro to Revolution. They did play great rock songs, seemed to have fun doing it, and did some great stuff in the studio.

Pink Floyd however, IMO needs a certain amount of tone to sound good. To get those tones it depends on the song but flanger and delay can go a long way.

I still cant see where the electric mistress come in on comfortably numb...is it just me?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummmm, yeah I see your point and I do have a minimal set up for my electric guitar. Marshall Class 5 and a Marshall Jackhammer stomp-box. Would love to find an old Marshall Drivemaster peddle and be able to afford a nicer guitar and a Fractal unit for time based effects.

Don't think I'd want much more than that as far as the rig goes, maybe a full stack with 4 X 12 cab's w/green back's and a vintage Super Lead head if I ever played a big room. I don't see me doing that right now so the Class 5 is fine for my current need's.

As a studio guy I can see why some one with the need would want several different guitar type's but I think that 1 custom Strat and a few select Gibson's, both solid body and hollow body would do the trick for most any sound.

Acoustic instruments are a different animal all together.

Good points. I agree with you. If I gig which is seldom, all I really need is My Strat and maybe the CC LP or the PRS HBII.

For acoustic sets I would use one of the Birds. Thats it. Another scenario probably even better, so I am not lugging a bunch of guitars around, would be to just use the Bird and my Strat.

Bare bones gigging (electric) the Strat every time. Bare bones gigging (acoustic) the Bird every time.

But, but.. at my living room studio I have the luxury of choosing from a variety of guitars for recording the "Tone" I find suitable for that particular song.

Archived