Gibson Brands Forums

Intonation issue ? New J45 TV, compensated saddle ?

gotomsdos

Hi, old buddies here.

Sorry, if this thread also annoys somebody, ignore please.

I find another issue with my new J45 TV which doesn't seem to have a compensated saddle, just kind of vintage saddle. I tune it to pitch. I hear kind of outstanding disharmony when I play chord A. So I try to find it out what's wrong, find that G (string 3) note at fret 4 doesn't match open B (string 2)note. It is on average around 7.0 lower than B. I use AP tuner, a computer softhare, and a clip electronic tuner, about the similar result.

Other string notes don't match either, but the differences between are on average around 3.0, doesn't seem to be as obvious as G--B.

I see its saddle line is also kind of slope from bridge side, just like that of My 5 STAR J35, but My J35 basically has inter-string note mismatch at around 3, not big issue.

And yours ?

Do you use a compensated saddle to improve intonation ?

I know the brand Bob Colosi, if you got a saddle exactly for J45 TV from him, and it works good on J45 TV, It'd be great, please let me know what gauge saddle I should buy from him..

(I wouldn't like to give up the least hope with the new J45 TV, I wouldn't like to easily say return it (I said the reason before) unless we've checked it out it's indeed a problem guitar.)

For what it's worth, I have a '57 that was set up by my guy with the compensated saddle as soon as he got his hands on it, and is always dead on. He must have noticed something and swapped out the original.

Hi, old buddies here.

Sorry, if this thread also annoys somebody, ignore please.

I find another issue with my new J45 TV which doesn't seem to have a compensated saddle, just kind of vintage saddle, when tuned to pitch, G (string 3) note at fret 4 doesn't match open B (string 2)note. It is on average around 7.0 % lower than B. I use AP tuner, a computer softhare, and a clip electronic tuner, about the similar result).

Other string notes don't match either, but the differences between are on average around 3.0 %, doesn't seem to be as obvious as G--B.

I see its saddle line is also kind of slope from bridge side, but very little, unlike that of My 5 STAR J35 which has a more slope saddle line. My J35 basically has inter-string note matches.

And yours ?

Do you use a compensated saddle to improve intonation ?

I know the brand Bob Colosi, if you got a saddle exactly for J45 TV from him, and it works good on J45 TV, It'd be great, please let me know what gauge saddle I should buy from him..

(I wouldn't like to give up the least hope with the new J45 TV, I wouldn't like to easily say return it (I said the reason before) unless we've checked it out it's indeed a problem guitar.)

Hey Goto,

I have read your previous posts on why you would not return it and they are all valid points. The time issue can be over come, the shipping, well i would ask the seller to cover that( they want a guitar sold, not sent back), the tax issues well only you know how much they are and for me if it was 15% or what ever, I would be inclined to ring the seller discus your situation and see if they have any guitars in stock that will tick all the boxes, i.e, made properly, lol.

I know that was probably the last comment you wanted to read, but for me it just seems a no brainer.

About the saddles, my J45 came with a compensated saddle as standard(app), although it's not a j45tv? So this proberly is no help.

GoTo,

Methinks thou art a Troll and not even a Chinese one at that! You joined this Forum several weeks ago, inveseted much time in creating a 'legend' as a true Gibson Acoustic lover. Reported that you bought this J45, and have posted hundreds of comments since then fanning the flames questioning the quality of siad guitar. You have asked hundreds of very technical questions, revealing some level of insider knowledge or sophistication above what one would expect of a Chinese lad with no access to either high end guitar stores or luthiers. So, don't tell us that we don't have to read your interminable posts if they offend us. Don't post them and that will solve the problem.

GOTO, with the high nut and action, relief not correct, the intonation will not be correct.

when you get the guitar "setup" the intonation will be correct

O I C, probably you're right. I know a little of the relationship. But what I wonder is how come the mismatch of G to B is so obvious.

It could be the nut was cut improperly as well but you really can't tell until you fix the neck relief on the guitar like what dchristo suggested, all other measurements you make before that are in my opinion useless. As for getting a compensated saddle made it's not hard to do, I've cut my own out of bone... you just have to be patient and precise. Surely you must know someone who can guide you through setting up your guitar in person since there's only so much that a person can help you over the internet.. it could be a relatively easy fix. Good luck. [thumbup]

GoTo,

Methinks thou art a Troll

Yep, I'm Polyphemus.

...a 'legend' as a true Gibson Acoustic lover

Oh, I may act as a tiring legend.

...Reported that you bought this J45,

Oh, plus a Ren's 5 ***** J35 as well, you forgot.

and have posted hundreds of comments since then fanning the flames questioning the quality of siad guitar. You have asked hundreds of very technical questions,

Yeah, Polyphemus ate hundreds of...

with no access to either high end guitar stores or luthiers.

Yes, I'm in a capsule.

So, don't tell us that we don't have to read your interminable posts if they offend us. Don't post them and that will solve the problem.

Oh, I'm a learner, need your help for ever.

I solved my intonation problems with a Shultz B-1 Intonator purchased from Elderly Instruments. It just attaches on the lower bout between the anvil and the strirrup. Just be careful if you have Bob Colosi bridge pins as there have been some cases of galvanic reactions with the Intonator.

I solved my intonation problems with a Shultz B-1 Intonator purchased from Elderly Instruments. It just attaches on the lower bout between the anvil and the strirrup. Just be careful if you have Bob Colosi bridge pins as there have been some cases of galvanic reactions with the Intonator.

I've switched to Guardsman String polish, and found that helped.

I've switched to Guardsman String polish, and found that helped.

Yes Guardman works well, but just use " Oh It's Shiny" grade and not "WoW That's Bright" grade which can induce a certain sharpness on the B string, especially when the moon is holding water.

GoTo,

Methinks thou art a Troll and not even a Chinese one at that! You joined this Forum several weeks ago, inveseted much time in creating a 'legend' as a true Gibson Acoustic lover. Reported that you bought this J45, and have posted hundreds of comments since then fanning the flames questioning the quality of siad guitar. You have asked hundreds of very technical questions, revealing some level of insider knowledge or sophistication above what one would expect of a Chinese lad with no access to either high end guitar stores or luthiers.

I think you are dead on!!

To get rid of nut factor, I tried 2 capos at fret 1, retuned it to pitch. But maximal mismatch moves with 2 capos.

Data here with G7 capo at fret 1:

String 3 at fret 4 is around +10 ! (-7 without capo !)

String 4 at fret 5 is around +6

other strings at fret 5 are around 3 (acceptable).

Data here with Paige capo at fret 1:

String 6 at fret 5 is around +10 !

String 3 at fret 4 is around -2 (-7 without capo !)

other strings at fret 5 are around 3-5

Mismatch moves, what's wrong ?

To get rid of nut factor, I tried 2 capos at fret 1, retuned it to pitch. But maximal mismatch moves with 2 capos.

String 3 at fret 4 is around +10% ! (-7% without capo !)

String 4 at fret 5 is around +6%

other strings at fret 5 are around 3% (acceptable).

String 6 at fret 5 is around +10% !

String 3 at fret 4 is around -2% (-7% without capo !)

other strings at fret 5 are around 3-5%

its faulty

I dont understand the % thing.....fix the string height at the nut, adjust truss rod to proper relief, adjust saddle to preferred action height, then play till the wheels fall off

Oh, Sorry I made a mistake. no %. just the digit. I'll correct them.

String 3 at fret 4 is around +10 ! (-7 without capo !)

String 4 at fret 5 is around +6

other strings at fret 5 are around 3 (acceptable).

String 6 at fret 5 is around +10 !

String 3 at fret 4 is around -2 (-7 without capo !)

other strings at fret 5 are around 3-5

wut?

How's your J-35?

Archived