Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EB-0 Project

shwing

Hi, I'm new here, so first off hello! :-)

I have a black Epiphone EB-0, I would like to replace the pickup, the pots and capacitor, as well as the machine heads..

I know this sounds like a lot, but I would be chipping away at it, one part per month...

Can anyone help source me high/medium replacement parts so that I could start my research?

Thanks In Advance

Shwing

Hi, I'm new here, so first off hello! :-)

I have a black Epiphone EB-0, I would like to replace the pickup, the pots and capacitor, as well as the machine heads..

I know this sounds like a lot, but I would be chipping away at it, one part per month...

Can anyone help source me high/medium replacement parts so that I could start my research?

Thanks In Advance

Shwing

Checkout Allparts and Stew-Mac.

Thanks Mate, but I was wondering what after market parts ppl have used, for a project like mine..

Hope you get some answers. I've always wanted to modify one as well.

I know some people love the epi EB-0, but other than the cool looks and vibe I just don't get it. The tone is very poor IMO.

Replacing the electronics would be awesome. Let us know what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

At about $175 Street, the EB-0 is indeed a great upgrade candidate. I'll be following your progress in this thread which could be a great template for others looking to add a budget bass to the mix...

Keep us updated with your progress (and pics too)!!!!

• 5 months later...

I'm wondering if you could get a Rickenbacker neck pick up in there.I've used a Rick 4001 since 1976 and it sounds great.Hardly ever used the bridge pup,,too trebly.

Then I got my '64 Rivoli and it's so easy to play being short scale and light.Love it.

This pickup would work but it's costly for a project like this

I think another good mod that could be to rout out a bridge cavity for another pickup

check out the pickup that i was referring too here:

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/model-one

any idea on good tuners for this bass? (keeping the price inline with the project)

Ebay search for tuners:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-Instruments-Gear-/619/i.html?_nkw=bass+tuning+keys&_frs=1

Thanks boys :-)

This pickup would work but it's costly for a project like this

I think another good mod that could be to rout out a bridge cavity for another pickup

check out the pickup that i was referring too here:

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/model-one

any idea on good tuners for this bass? (keeping the price inline with the project)

Ebay search for tuners:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-Instruments-Gear-/619/i.html?_nkw=bass+tuning+keys&_frs=1

Thanks boys :-)

The model one seems to be the favourite replacement for the Rivoli/EB2,but as far as I know it only comes in black.At least one comment I read stated that it wasn't much of an improvement on the original.

My re-issue Rivoli has a Gotoh pup (fits perfectly,chrome) and sounds great.

My '64 Rivoli has a Korean pup by Shinsei or Senshin (can't quite remember the name).It sounds really good but is an ugly black plastic affair.

I put a set of Schaller tuners on my Antoria LP in 1976 and it still stays in tune.

Hope this helps.

The model one seems to be the favourite replacement for the Rivoli/EB2,but as far as I know it only comes in black.At least one comment I read stated that it wasn't much of an improvement on the original.

My re-issue Rivoli has a Gotoh pup (fits perfectly,chrome) and sounds great.

My '64 Rivoli has a Korean pup by Shinsei or Senshin (can't quite remember the name).It sounds really good but is an ugly black plastic affair.

I put a set of Schaller tuners on my Antoria LP in 1976 and it still stays in tune.

Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for the info!

could you tell me the part number for the Gotoh pup ?

Thanks Mate

Hi, thanks for the info!

could you tell me the part number for the Gotoh pup ?

Thanks Mate

It's in the luthiers at the moment.I'll 'phone him tomorrow and see if it has a part number,but I don't remember seeing one,,,,,John.

?

On guitar I use 9-46 custom gauge strings...what medium priced strings should I buy that will feel nice in my hands...remember, a shorter scale too

thanks guys, this is a great thread! I certainly will post pic's in progress :-)

Sorry,,no part number on my Gotoh,,,,,the luthier said that he has fitted lots of Kent Armstrong (son of Dan)pups with great success.So I copied this for you.Don't know how well it would fit,,,,but apparently he can make pups to your spec.

http://www.wdmusic.com/kent_armstrong_bass_pickups.html

MUSICMAN®BASS PICKUP

Item #: HBMN1

CERAMIC/D.C. = 13.6K resistance - Our MusicMan® Stingray® replacement is an answer to many prayers. The Stingray® is a modern classic, but until now finding a suitable replacement pickup has been difficult. With far less magnetic pull than original models, ours has full-length bar polepieces to get every bit of string vibration no matter how hard you play. Having similar output and tone to the stock unit, this improved version has enough output to be used in a passive mode, without a preamp. For authentic Stingray® tone, however, a low impedance buffer preamp is recommended. We also strongly suggest a series/parallel switch or push/pull pot to get the two distinctly different tones available by the widely spaced coils in this pickup.3.532” x 1.920" 4 conductor wiring allows coil splitting, series/parallel, phase inversion, and more. Magnet Length in millimeters: 75L x 5T x 12W

Price: $67.95

Archived