Gibson Brands Forums

Sharp fret edges

Run

Hi, my new Songwriter Studio Deluxe CE has sharp fret edges. When I bought it new, they said at the store that it will be ok after a few days in good humidity environment. The fret edges angles are ok but sharp (not rounded) so not enough smooth to my taste. Is this normal on Gibson bridges ? (I keep it at 50% humidity)

I intend to solve the problem by bringing the instrument to a good shop. Will this void the warranty?

Thanks for any good advice.

Hi, my new Songwriter Studio Deluxe CE has sharp fret edges. When I bought it new, they said at the store that it will be ok after a few days in good humidity environment. The fret edges angles are ok but sharp (not rounded) so not enough smooth to my taste. Is this normal on Gibson bridges ? (I keep it at 50% humidity)

I intend to solve the problem by bringing the instrument to a good shop. Will this void the warranty?

Sharp fret ends are a tell-tale sign of a dehydrated instrument. I'd be surprised if it came from the factory with fret ends protruding to the point they feel sharp. Check to ensure your guitar is not dehydrated. There should be a nice outward curve of both the top and the bottom. You can check this by laying a straight-edge, on edge, across the lower bouts of the instrument. You should see daylight under each end of the ruler.

You can have a professional dress the frets for you which will make the instrument playable. However, if the instrument is dry, then you file those fret edges and the instrument gets re-hydrated, the fret ends will now be too short.

Are the frets poking through the neck binding?

FYI: The Gibson warranty will not be invalidated by doing setup and maintenance work.

Thanks for helping. I don't know how long it has been in the store but I know that they take good care of their humidity control.

There is this nice outward curve at both the top and the bottom.

Frets ends are on the neck binding.

What I mean is that the fret edges are well cut but not rounded .

The instrument is very playable but it makes it somewhat uncomfortable when sliding. Is it standard to Gibson to have no rounded fret edges?

Thanks again.

run, why dont you get a fret file and smooth them out a little.

a couple of my guitars had sharp frets, a few swipes with a file and they are all better now

Yeah, this might be a good idea ... or have a professional do it. When I got my AJ back from a fret replacement (and other major work) from Gibson repair in N'ville, they had filed the frets and never have I been so pleased with the way it feels. Probably just needs dressing.

I bought a Songwriter Deluxe Studio last week and experienced the same thing. As part of the sale they are setting it up and dressing the frets. The store is perfectly climate controlled (Long and McQuade in Vancouver, BC) so it's a factory thing.

Mike

"..so it's a factory thing. "

I love the feel and sound (amplified or not) of my Songwriter but I don't know why a renown company like Gibson didn't add that last touch to the frets. One of my friend bought a cheap but very well built Walden guitar(China)..... and all the frets edges were smooth and rounded.

Sounds like poor QC at the factory. You can file them yourself or I would return the guitar and have the shop do it at no charge. Should be a warranty repair. No way a new guitar should have that problem if the frets were done properly.

There you have it! The store is storing their acousitc instruments in a less than ideal environment.

"Okay after a few days..." Pulllleeeze! [cursing]

Take the is guitar back to this rotten dealership for a full refund. Take your money elsewhere. I doubt neglectful storage is covered under any guitar manufacturer's warranty.

They knew it was deficient when they sold it to you. Also, report these guys to Gibson Marketing.

I hope it's not too late. If the work is done by other than a Gibson authorized serviced shop, you may void your warranty..

[scared]

I don't want to start a debate but where I bought it, they keep their Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, Larrives etc...in a special well controlled environment (closed room) and since that there are lot of more cheaper brands (this is a big and good reputation store) they also control the humidity everywhere.

The frets on this Gibson don't exceed the bridge they are simply cut straight not rounded on edges. The guitar is ok just a little unconfortable (not soft enough to my taste sliding the bridge). I also know that Long and McQuade (this is not the place where I bought it) are very professionnal and don't sell neglected instruments.

So to conclude I just want to know if all your acoustic Gibson have well cut but also ROUNDED fret edges .

Thanks.

Ok just not wanted to insist to much and get to many contradictory answers. I'll keep posting about this matter but what I'd really like is other Songwriter Studio Deluxe owners feedbacks.

I deleted my former attached files to be able to show my bridge. What about these frets edges...

what bridge are you refering to ?

also if you use a photo hosting web site like photobucket, you can post as many pics as you want

what bridge are you refering to ?

also if you use a photo hosting web site like photobucket, you can post as many pics as you want

these pics are my Songwriter Studio Deluxe EC fretboard.

Thanks for your info.

Archived