Gibson Brands Forums

Effect of bridge type on tone

67Special

If you do not play with a wound G string, then buy a new bridge. Your guitar will intonate better, thus sound better and more in tune. Adjustability is great. Just throw the original bridge in the case so if you ever wish to sell the guitar, you can easily switch it back to stock form. :)

It is impossible to have the G in tune both top and bottom of the neck, so I'm definately going to change, but my question is, will the fully adjustable one, where the strings rest on light, adjustable towers which run on screws, give the same sound as the solid cast type, where the string vibration can flow through the metal to the body of the guitar.

If the wood type and (some people say) even the type of paint of finsih on a guitar can effect the tome, surely the bridge must play a part in the Special/junior sound that a lot of peple go in for?...

I'm a believer that Gibson know what they are doing and they always fit the correct quality parts,

and that aftermarket bits are the spawn of Belezubub.

So if I had a vintage SG I would only fit Gibson parts, unfortunately the only Gibby wrapround with the correct

unwound G string intonation is in the Historic Range and costs a stonking $180.

Keep a eye on Flea-Bay, vintage parts sometime appear.

If you replace the bridge with an adjustable one, I don't think you will hear much of a tonal difference. You "may" lose some fullness to the tone, but you may find that your guitar will intonate and sound so much better that you won't care! :D Again, the tonal change is debatable, and any perceived differences could just be an overactive imagination lol. Having a guitar you enjoy playing and plays in tune is better than one which does not play in tune and you never play out with it. Even "if" your tone does change a little, I doubt the guitar will sound bad. It will still sound amazing, and like a Gibson should.

As long as the Adjustable bridge, has metal saddles, I doubt there would be much

tonal difference, from what you have now. But, if you use synthetic, or nylon

saddles, you'll notice a softening, of the tone, a bit. That can be good, or not,

depending on what you want. A lot of the very early ABR-1 Gibson bridges had nylon

saddles. For more sustain, and a edgier tone (as well as more durability), they

later went with metal saddles. Nowadays, you can do either, or even Teflon, or other

type saddles. Really just depends on what you're after.

CB

A lot of people are convinced that a new bridge-of a different material or design-will dramatically affect the tone of the guitar...BUT-take into account that when a new bridge is installed, you also get new strings and a new intonation and possibly a truss rod adjustment, so the actual effect of the new bridge itself - if any- is lost in all that. You might also check the nut and put a little graphite in the slots - pencil lead- to luge them a bit. Gibson is famous for slots just a bit tight that might bind the string.

If you still have the intonation troubles after your new bridge. get the adjustable...that should fix the problem.

mark

Archived