Gibson Brands Forums

NAD! Mesa Boogie Roadster

cjmwrx

I loved my Single Rec, but it didn't have "enough". Was able to sell it for a very nice price, and pick up a new Roadster head. Needless to say, I have "enough" now.

What a great amp. Loving Ch 2 on Spongy Fat with a bit of gain. Great for blues. Single Rec. needed a good pedal for this. This is what it was missing, the Roadster now covers this (and sooo much more)

Reverb is OK, could be better, didn't buy it for the reverb.

Ch 3 is ok, nice to have Vintage drive and leave it there. Ch 4 kicks typical Recto ***. Just like the single, with WAY more options (power, etc...)

Overall a kickass amp. Couldn't be happier. Footswitch is huge. Ordered the caster wheels, and mounts for my Recitifier cab. This rig weighs a bit more now, the more I can roll, instead of lug, the longer my gig life will last.

Switchable between 50/100, 3 switchable voicings per channel Clean, Fat, Tweed/Clean, Fat, Brit/Raw, Vintage, Modern/Raw, Vintage, Modern. Switchable between tube or silicon rectification. 8 button footswitch (this required the order of a new Pedal Train).

Foo Fighters fans will have a treat at next show.

P3122472.jpg

Gut Shot

P3102460.jpg

P3102466.jpg

P3122475.jpg

LETS BOOGIE! Is it easy to dial in? (this does not relate to the channels and many knobs and switches mind you!) As I posted in Sellen's NAD thread, a guy I know has a Roadster but he says it is a pain in the a$$ to keep dialed in (one touch of a knob, even the master volume, f@$%s $hite up!). Mesas are known to have that problem. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy your amp, and NO I AM NOT A LIEUTENANT IN THE KNOBS AND SWITCHES POLICE!!!! There is an amp for everyone, and if you like a Recto tone with a multiple channels and controls as opposed to EVOL!s non-master volume Fender style amp with just volume, bass, and treble, then its fine with me. Personally, I like 100 watt single channel high gainers (SOLDANO!).

LETS BOOGIE! Is it easy to dial in? (this does not relate to the channels and many knobs and switches mind you!) As I posted in Sellen's NAD thread, a guy I know has a Roadster but he says it is a pain in the a$$ to keep dialed in (one touch of a knob, even the master volume, f@$%s $hite up!). Mesas are known to have that problem. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy your amp, and NO I AM NOT A LIEUTENANT IN THE KNOBS AND SWITCHES POLICE!!!! There is an amp for everyone, and if you like a Recto tone with a multiple channels and controls as opposed to EVOL!s non-master volume Fender style amp with just volume, bass, and treble, then its fine with me. Personally, I like 100 watt single channel high gainers (SOLDANO!).

Not at all. I was able to dial in the tones I wanted on all 4 channels in about 15 minutes. But, I am used to Mesa's. If you use the FX loop, and Output/Solo, once dialed in to control the overall output. But yes, it is made to be flexible like that. All of the controls are interactive with each other, and the manual does require reading.

Some think it is a pita, but with a little knowledge, there aren't many amps that are more flexible. Love me some Mesa.

Not at all. I was able to dial in the tones I wanted on all 4 channels in about 15 minutes. But, I am used to Mesa's. If you use the FX loop, and Output/Solo, it is very easy to dial in, and control the overall output. But yes, it is made to be flexible like that. All of the controls are interactive with each other, and the manual does require reading.

Some think it is a pita, but with a little knowledge, there aren't many amps that are more flexible. Love me some Mesa.

Can I get an Amen?!!!

Here is mine, love all 4 voicings of the two channels. Clean/Crunch and Blues/Burn

Overdrive pedals need not apply.

DSCN1220.jpg

Not at all. I was able to dial in the tones I wanted on all 4 channels in about 15 minutes. But, I am used to Mesa's. If you use the FX loop, and Output/Solo, once dialed in to control the overall output. But yes, it is made to be flexible like that. All of the controls are interactive with each other, and the manual does require reading.

My friend probably just wasn't used to having Mesa. All he ever played before was an original Johnson modelling amp. I know another player and all he plays is Mesa. He started with a Road King, went to a Mark IV, then to an old Mark IIC+ combo, now he is using a Mark V with two 2x12s. And a shitload of fx....

Can I get an Amen?!!!

Here is mine, love all 4 voicings of the two channels. Clean/Crunch and Blues/Burn

Overdrive pedals need not apply.

DSCN1220.jpg

NO TUBE SCREAMER??!?!?!?!?!? Let me guess, singing solos don't apply? Are you primarily a rhythm player? Just yanking your chain. Everybody has their own taste. The Express is probably one of the simpler Boogies out there.

Mesa makes wonderful amps and they can be difficult to master, just spend time with it and you will be rewarded! Most tones are usable it really depends what you are going for

I agree. Got a Lonestar Special and it took a while to tweak my personal tone

but I love the sound this baby can make.

However it will be getting a new buddy soon : a Dr. Z MAZ18 NR will be

on the way.

Love this amp. Had a chance to put this up today. Bored on staycation. Please excuse the few mistakes, and the lame run at the end.

Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe -> Mesa Roadster -> Rectifier 2x12 cab V30s -> SM-57 - Live 24 USB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGDALI4HAlw&feature=youtu.be

Mesach4.png

That was GRRREATT!!!! Sounded just like the record! Except for the fact that your guitar obviously is different from theirs and after all, it sounds like YOU, not Grohl and Shiflet. I love me some Foo Fighters every now and then. Well, anything Dave ever did (and I am not much of a Nirvana fan, but I listen to it sometimes just for the rhythm section.). On Youtube, I found a one-man recording of Dave covering Ozone by Ace Frehley (from Ace's 1978 solo album). It sounded like the original, only it was more aggressive (who am I kiddin', it's DAVE F'N GROHL). Even his vocals sounded like Ace. The only part I didn't like was that he skipped the solo, as Dave isn't much of a lead player. But his songs and riffs are awesome though!

Archived