Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Moderne

Hydra26

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks dude. I'll try to get some pictures and maybe a recording a little later in the week. Kinda crazy right now. ;)

Edit, yes, they're 57 Classics,, no, it's not custom shop. Anyone with one of those 2007 explorers with 57 classics and vibrola, it sounds about the same, maybe a touch brighter but without the tuning instability.

Thank you or the reply Hydra.

It's not a custom shop so i guess it's one of those limited edition right? How did you get this? A preorder?

The fingerboard is made of rosewood or barker maple?

Sorry for the hundreds questions man, but i'm very curious about these Moderne. Just hope some guitar shop here in Rome will have some for sale soon...

I don't know what the fretboard is. It looks like rosewood but feels smoother. I think a picture I saw of a NAMM sheet said it was Curacao de negro or something. This guitar is shaped differently than any other I own so it's hard to tell what effect, if any, the fretboard material has on it's resonant properties.

I read somewhere there were going to be 300 of these and perhaps an additonal 100 in black? But I don't know how solid that information is.

And yeah, guys, I preordered it last year through my brick and mortar dealer a few counties over. It was a 2 hour drive right from work to pick up the guitar, have dinner and drive 2 hours home. Still kind of tired and rrecovering from the drive, plus a rehearsal immediately after work tonight, so I've played it, but not through my main rig.

What's struck me is it feels smaller than I thought it would. Also feels lighter than I expected. The controls are nice and out of the way of my stumming hand. I'm probably going to change the knobs out for reflector knobs so it catches the lights a little better. Looks like a 2 piece body. It's mahogany. Can't remember where I read some people were worried about a laminated fretboard. I don't see any kind of seam that would indicate it's not a single slab of whatever the fretboard material is.

Has the lightness and upper fret access of a v, but sits on the leg decently without using the classical playing position, although that's certainly an option.

Pointer washers were factory installed, kind of a nice touch.

Wish the headstock log would have been inlaid instead of painted on. Doesn't affectthe tone, of course but it would have looked nicer and made me feel a little bit better about the price.

I hope this model finally catches on, some 55 years after it was designed.It might be interesting to see it offered as a regular model with other configurations of pickups, finish, etc. Then again,t he original run of reverse flying v's went pretty quick and aside form one limited run afterwards, we haven't seen too many of those (that's also a deceptively comfortable guitar to play, given it's appearance).

Time for sleep. I will try and get a clip or some better photo's this week. Peace.

Well, it's new production so not so muhc holy grail as throwback. But I appreciate the sentiment[biggrin] Took another photo. Looks like I missed ideal lighting conditions. Probably going to pop some reflector knobs on there but I haven't gotten to it yet with a million other things going on.

DSC00537.jpg

Best order one online. I believe it is a limited edition. See The Gibson site

Thank you or the reply Hydra.

It's not a custom shop so i guess it's one of those limited edition right? How did you get this? A preorder?

The fingerboard is made of rosewood or barker maple?

Sorry for the hundreds questions man, but i'm very curious about these Moderne. Just hope some guitar shop here in Rome will have some for sale soon...

The 'board is rosewood. The body and neck are mahogany. The pups are '57 classic humbuckers. All hardware is gold. It is available in black or natural.

It's a sweet guitar. I'll photograph mine (black) and upload pix later. I like the black knobs, but gold ones might be sweet.

Well, it's new production so not so muhc holy grail as throwback. But I appreciate the sentiment[biggrin] Took another photo. Looks like I missed ideal lighting conditions. Probably going to pop some reflector knobs on there but I haven't gotten to it yet with a million other things going on.

DSC00537.jpg

The 'board is rosewood. The body and neck are mahogany. The pups are '57 classic humbuckers. All hardware is gold. It is available in black or natural.

It's a sweet guitar. I'll photograph mine (black) and upload pix later. I like the black knobs, but gold ones might be sweet.

Gibson report the fingerboard as being made of Granadillo wood.

So you have got a black Moderne? Wow, waiting for the picture! What about recording a little demo man? Hydra is probably going to make one..and what about you?

Thanks in advance ;)

Here is my cautionary tale about the new Moderne. Check out the nut!

Gibson has it cut so half of the string is outside the slot. This nut is also cut so the strings ride a knife edge. This would work great on a Flying V with a straight string pull. BUT the Moderne string pull is at a steep angle.

After playing the guitar with lots of vibrato and bending, the third string slipped out of its nut slot to join the second string. I just put it back. After a few more times, it wouldn't stay in place any longer. Then the second string slipped and the first string went off the nut completely. That knife edge failed to hold onto the plain strings. No problem with would strings.

Sweetwater offered to fix it for me. I tried contacting Gibson, but got no response. I didn't want to ship this, so off to my local luthier.

After some discussion, we concluded that a new nut was needed. There was not enough material left in the original nut to fix without geting serious string buzz on open strings.

Gibson has a habit of painting over their nuts, making nut replacement a tricky job. One wrong move and the finish will chip in a way you won't like. My Luthier very slowly and carefully used a knife to trim the lacquer away from the nut until he reached the hidden bottom of the nut - on both sides. Gibson also glues the nut in very strongly. Removing the nut took a little wood with it. So the channel had to be cleaned and a taller nut prepared. That done, he cut the slots at a slight angle to help transition them from the tuning peg to the 'board.

My luthier is at Maple Street Guitars in Atlanta and he did a fabulous job!

I consider this a minor issue with the guitar. Given its history and the limited run, I felt it was important to get the guitar in a playable condition.

I just wish Gibson paid a little more attention to this detail in production.

All that said, this guitar is fabulous!

I have a black one and it is very cool. With perserverance, you can find it on Gibson's site HERE

Gibson report the fingerboard as being made of Granadillo wood.

So you have got a black Moderne? Wow, waiting for the picture! What about recording a little demo man? Hydra is probably going to make one..and what about you?

Thanks in advance ;)

Nice man! Looks sharper than the marketing photo's make it look! I'd never touch a black guitar (no pun intended) because I tend to leave some pretty visible handprints and on a mirror gloss finish like that it just drives my ocd nuts, Been through that once, never again. hahaha. But it sure is a beaut.

I didn't have that problem with my nut. A little bit of tuning error after doing some big bends but I attribute that to normal break in. The strings need to stretch, the nut needs to wear in a little, etc. Overall, I'm very pleased. More pics and maybe a short clip tomorrow, although I warn you's I'm no phenomenal picker. I just like nice axes because you don't have to be a chef to enjoy good food. [thumbup]

• 4 weeks later...

Archived