Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting playing experience the other night....

onewilyfool

My wife and I were away this weekend (16th wedding anniversary) and the bed was so soft, that I couldn't sleep, so I went into the next room and started playing my guitar very quietly, as to not disturb the house...and it was so quiet, and I was playing VERY quietly, but the sound of the guitar was soooo sweet (at 2:00 am) The quietness of the night, and the sweetness of the guitar, just made for a special moment. I've been experimenting lately with softer playing of the guitar, and this was just a moment in time that was very special.

Crap , those hotel walls must be thicker than my apartment walls.

I'm soft pickin' at 10:30 pm and i can expect pounding on the ceiling.

Playing the guitar real quiet is one of my favorite ways to play. You can really get lots more tone the softer you play.

Ahhhhhhh , the memories of playing the guitar at 2:00 am is just a fond memory for me , back in the dorm room days when no one cared :)

Harmonics101

Funny...this weekend my wife and I went to Tahoe for a friends birthday.

Wife stays out late gambling, so I'm up early....but she's still sleeping.

So, I went into the bathroom, (the bathrooms at Harvey's are HUGE), and shut the door and played guitar.... like Wily, I found the sound to be fantastic!

I usually play in a carpeted room, so this was "special"!

First a big Congrats you anniversary. My wife and I will be celebrating ours later in the month. It is a double celebration for us because that is also the day the little foster kiddo who we are in the process of adopting showed up at our doorstep.

Mr. Fool - to me everything seems to go and sound better in the wee hours of the morning I get my best ideas for something I am working on when everybody else is fast asleep. I have gotten in the habit of keeping a notebook and pencil close by in the bedroom so I can jot whatever I can jot something down before I fall asleep and wake up and forget whatever it was I came up with. Maybe it is because the house is so flippin' quiet. Even the mutts are fast asleep.

I can relate to that....

Me too. At home and in hotel rooms. For my job I travel a lot and when I know I'll be staying in a hotel I'll bring a guitar with me and play quietly before going to sleep.

One of the best experiences I had: about 2 years ago I was in a very nice hotel on the Liguria coast (northwest of Italy). It was a pleasant spring evening and my room had a balcony overlooking the sea. And that night there was a beautiful shining silver moon... I sat in the room before the window looking oustide playing as softly as possible... Fantastic. At the time I had a Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner which, regrettably, I sold afterwards.

Congrats Wily. My wife and I celebrate our 41st today.

On occasion, when I can't sleep, I'll go out on the front porch to do some soft picking. We live in the country, so the only creatures to bother are the coyotes and they howl better than I sing anyway... :rolleyes:

Nice. Before I retired and was staying up late, one of my favorite things to do was sitting by the fire in winter (with all the lights off in the house), after the wife had gone to bed, and finger pick my AJ. Something about the dark, the quite, and the fire that made it an experience to anticipate and savor.

Archived