Gibson Brands Forums

Some possible insight why Ren jumped ship .. ?

EuroAussie

I can tell you from working in big Corporations, that having one of your best folks jump ship does not look good to investors at all. It will make them question why you did it? And if the person is a big enough icon in the company, all the worse.....

my bad.....didn't know Ren is going to work for Fender.

I was saying that it won't look good for Gibson having one of their top guys leave.

let me ask this..and I know it'll open a big can of worms.........

Why do you think Fender sells more guitars? Price? ???.......

I can tell you from working in big Corporations, that having one of your best folks jump ship does not look good to investors at all. It will make them question why you did it? And if the person is a big enough icon in the company, all the worse.....

Huh???

[confused]

Huh???

[confused]

I work for large multi national corporations. I have seen what happens when key folks leave when investors are trying to be rounded up. It usually does not go well. To clear up your "HUH" .......

again, I did not realize Ren had been snagged up by Fender. Good on him for holding to his principles.

I thought that Ren retired for health reasons, didn't know he went to work for Fender. What a maroon!!!

...Heheeeeee.

Larry mate,...you were a bit slow off the mark on this one!!!

[biggrin]

Fender Musical Instruments Corp. (FMIC) announces today that world-renowned master luthier Ren Ferguson has joined its Research & Development (R&D) team as Chief Acoustic Engineer. In that role, Ferguson will assist in the Fender, Guild, Ovation/Adamas and Takamine acoustic product lines, through the creation of innovative new products, and refinement of existing products and related manufacturing practices.

Ferguson comes to FMIC with more than 50 years worth of instrument building experience, focusing on the crafting of acoustic guitars, mandolins and banjos. In 1962, Ren set to pursue his lifelong passion for instrument building that soon expanded to include research and development, manufacturing and training.

"We are very pleased to welcome Ren to the R&D team," said Keith Chapman, senior vice president, R&D for FMIC. "His experience and long history of innovation, high quality and expert craftsmanship will prove to be invaluable to our R&D and manufacturing departments."

I sort of hate to damp the speculation but Fender did not lure Ren away from Gibson. He chose to retire from Gibson, gave notice, and very shortly afterwards received an offer from Fender that was too good to pass up. (Ren's son works for Fender, which explains how they got the news so quickly.)

-- Bob R

I sort of hate to damp the speculation but Fender did not lure Ren away from Gibson. He chose to retire from Gibson, gave notice, and very shortly afterwards received an offer from Fender that was too good to pass up. (Ren's son works for Fender, which explains how they got the news so quickly.)

-- Bob R

I agree with Bob , plus I doubt Ren is looking for money. I think he just wanted to start doing different things now that he still has the time to do it . I guess he didn't have much spare time for other stuff while working at gibson so he chose to leave to have that time.

JC

my bad.....didn't know Ren is going to work for Fender.

I was saying that it won't look good for Gibson having one of their top guys leave.

let me ask this..and I know it'll open a big can of worms.........

Why do you think Fender sells more guitars? Price? ???.......

Actually I don't buy the price argument when it comes to their USA-made guitars. I was seriously in the market for a new USA Standard Tele when they were in the 600-pound category a few years back, but by the time I got around to pouncing they'd gone up to a grand. That suddenly made certain Gibsons look much better value, though not so much the ES 335 which had been my main goal before deciding a Tele would be the best compromise. I like Teles and have no problems with a bolt-on neck, but I do have something of a problem with paying a grand for a bolt-on neck guitar, even if made in the USA. Especially when there are SGs and LPs available for less despite the extra time and labour required to spray the nitro and glue the neck. And when a Tele costs over a grand, even a 335 at under 2K seems more palatable. The whole point of Fenders is that they introduced full-on production line procedures to the manufacture of electric guitars. They simply never should cost as much as a Gibson, because even though Gibson also operates a production line, its different stages require more time and skilled labour than a poly-coated Fender with bolts. For an inexpensive USA-made electric workhorse, I would be looking at a Melody Maker or an SG Special and not at a Fender.

I do hope that he needs the money. I can't think of another reason why a legitimate luthier would leave one corporate context for another rather than choosing to build what he wants on his own.

I can't think of another reason why a legitimate luthier would leave one corporate context for another rather than choosing to build what he wants on his own.

Ren's not just a luthier. He's interested in figuring out how to improve the guitars turned out by factory production lines. He can't make much progress on that problem if he's restricted to experimenting in his home workshop.

-- Bob R

I do hope that he needs the money. I can't think of another reason why a legitimate luthier would leave one corporate context for another rather than choosing to build what he wants on his own.

He can do this too. Fender advertises him, but they don't have him in the same capacity that Gibson did. he doesn't work EXCLUSIVELY for Fender. He is free to do whatever he wants. He can build his own stuff, consult for other brands, even consult for Gibson.... Fender DOES have the advertising rights to him basically.... and his input on things as well.

It was good money, he was able to stay home, and can do whatever he wants. Who here WOULDN'T take that job? at HIS age. remember, he IS at retirement time.

Archived