Gibson Brands Forums

Have you changed picks during your career?

rocketman

When I was younger I always used this pick (72 Dunlop Nylon .73mm):

44R73-2T.jpg

Then I moved to this (Fender 351 Classic Celluloid Shell Medium):

FEN980351CM.jpg

I really have no explanation why I did this. I guess it was to mix things up but I really don't remember. So have you ever changed picks or have you been using the same one?

Yes I have change recently too for the past 20 years I used the dunlop 500 2.0 MM Purple pick. I went to my local music store to buy a few because I apparently lost a few and what used to be 3 for $1.00 was now $1.00 a piece!!!!! I about went into shock. They said it was because everything was getting so expensive. So I bought 3 of them and went through the pick display and found another dunlop X-H which is transparrent yellow and they were 3 for a buck. I got to say I am beginning to really like them too. Got home looked up dunlop guitar picks online and found out I can get like a pack of 72 dunlop guitar picks of my choice for like $17.98 or so on ebay. I will never buy anything from my local music store again, period!!!!

Used to use fender delrin .73mm now im on dunlop tortex .73mm i need the durability either material offers, but still shred right through them. Maybe its time to go heavier? The tortex are more accessible than the delrin, so i buy those, just wish i could get them by the gross without shopping online

I've been using Victorian-era 3d coins for about 30 years.

Reversedetaillo-res_MG_8175Large-1.jpg

Recently I've started to play my G-J archtop acoustic quite a bit and I'm experimenting with these;

http://www.soundunli...ones_Picks.html

They are considerably bigger than I'm used to - 30mm long as opposed to 15mm diameter for the coin; and much thicker - 2.5mm as opposed to 0.7mm but if I don't get used to the length I'll get out the tools for a bit of re-shaping. I bought four of different types of wood. They are categorised by relative hardness but as they are so thick even when they taper at the tip I haven't perceived much difference between them all. The softer one just seems to be wearing out quicker!

The wooden ones are very much in the Manouche tradition and, as I believe Matt Sear has discovered, one you get used to them they are surprisingly accurate in use.

P.

Guest farnsbarns

I've been using Victorian-era 3d coins for about 30 years.

Reversedetaillo-res_MG_8175Large-1.jpg

Recently I've started to play my G-J archtop acoustic quite a bit and I'm experimenting with these;

http://www.soundunli...ones_Picks.html

They are considerably bigger than I'm used to - 30mm long as opposed to 15mm diameter for the coin; and much thicker - 2.5mm as opposed to 0.7mm but if I don't get used to the length I'll get out the tools for a bit of re-shaping. I bought four of different types of wood. They are categorised by relative hardness but as they are so thick even when they taper at the tip I haven't perceived much difference between them all. The softer one just seems to be wearing out quicker!

The wooden ones are very much in the Manouche tradition and, as I believe Matt Sear has discovered, one you get used to them they are surprisingly accurate in use.

P.

Christ! I'd have thought either would feel like a brick.

I've changed my pick many times as I have to cut the nail on my right index finger for job interviews, weddings, disc golf tourneys and other occasional circumstances.

Used to use Herco Heavy's long, long ago. I have been using Fender Thins-the ones with the palm tree-for going on 2 years now, and I won't change them anytime soon.

Also, I'm starting to learn fingerpicking, but that flat pick is very very much faster.

mark

Yes. I used Dunlop 1 mm nylon for years, then went to Jazz III about 15 years ago. Ran across Butterfly picks and used them until recently, tried a bunch of different picks and have settled on John Pearse Buffalo Horn, the model they call Sarod.

Brad

When I was young I used the standard Fender celluloid mediums -

FEN980351CM.jpg

Since I've gotten older I find the big triangles easier to hold onto,

and I switched to Tortex for electric and acoustic - Dunlop Tortex triangles .73mm - great for old fumble fingers. B)

guitar-bass-accessories-17051-picks-dunlop-tortex-triangle-0-73mm-72stck.jpg

I use possibly the widest variety of shapes, sizes and thickness of picks of anyone on the forum. It's not due to any preference. It 's becuase I was helping to remove the stage at a local music venue last year, and we found around 50 guitar picks of all types that had fallen through the stage in the prior ten years or so. Being the only guitar player in the bunch of misfits that were performing the job, I took them home.

I was doing great until a friend suggested these picks might be "unlucky" becuase the first owners dropped them while playing . . . . . now I can't hang on to a single one of them.....

I still have a boxful of metal, wood, stone, plastic, steel picks that I sometimes dig into. Anyone remember the 'Mind' pick? Large agate teardrop, very fast. I tried wood, disappointing. I ended up using Dunlop Jazz III like a lot of people.

Archived