Gibson Brands Forums

What is the most you paid for a guitar?

bigtim

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I paid $2,500 or so for the new ES 335 flame top ( top left) By comparison, the 72-73 Les paul next to it cost me $295 in a pawn shop in 1982. A couple of the basses in the bottom row ( he '66 Rick 4005 and the '65 precision) are worth $4-5k in todays market, but I paid a lot less that that, before the "vintage" boom really got going

studio1.jpg

$800, and that's it. I talk about that 345 there in the pictures whatever model it maybe but back in the '60's except for just having standard hardware back then and one stereo cord coming out of it (with two ends) it was about $425.

No doubt the govmint and resources have something to do with the price nowadays.

just search Zematis and you'll see a million pictures just make sure your looking at the originals from Tony Sr. not the new copies his sons company makes, there still nice but there nothing like the originals.

84metalfront3.jpg

thanks. etched metal overlay lp style . no pickguard .. oh well play the heck out of it anyway and enjoy...

just search Zematis and you'll see a million pictures just make sure your looking at the originals from Tony Sr. not the new copies his sons company makes, there still nice but there nothing like the originals.

84metalfront3.jpg

That is a beautiful work of art - absolutely stunning!

Matt

The most I have paid?

The most is about the equivalent of about $4000, but that isn't my most valuable guitar.

My most valuable guitar I bought second hand for only £1000 (c. $1500) in 2005 and it is insured now for £6000 (c.$9000). It also looks extremely ordinary, but is sounds beautiful. It is made from Brazlian rose wood and the tuners alone (Rogers tuners) are £370 (c.$500)

I have been extremely lucky with all my gear with prices and lucky finds etc

Matt

perhaps this one enters into the realm of museum quality.. too nice too valuable one of a kind must be preserved and enjoyed only with the eyes and heart.. or if your really loaded maybe not.

Oh I see what you mean!

I suppose on the upside, it looks very robust but yes it is a piece of art work as well as a guitar for sure!

Matt

Oh I see what you mean!

I suppose on the upside, it looks very robust but yes it is a piece of art work as well as a guitar for sure!

Matt

have a great Sunday matt I also would like to see your brazilian rosewood guitar with the really hi dollar tuners. If you have a spare moment.

have a great Sunday matt I also would like to see your brazilian rosewood guitar with the really hi dollar tuners. If you have a spare moment.

yeah sure, here is Tony!

Classical guitar is taking over the lounge today! [thumbup]

Screenshot2011-10-08at151348.png

yeah sure, here is Tony!

Classical guitar is taking over the lounge today! [thumbup]

Screenshot2011-10-08at151348.png

suprize it not electric. nice . maybe I will get one someday, I like the wide necks. I will check out your links later. see what your up too there. yeah that classical thread is a great listen , inspired me to remember my love for Ottmar and post it

I feel cheap. Some of you cats have dropped some serious cash for some nice axes.

I paid $600 for my Taylor 110 in 2007.

Yes I agree!!!! I would just look at some of those in a museum and never think about taking out a 2nd mortgage to buy one either!!!. I went into gruhns one day picked up some kind of metal dobro set up for playing regular not with a slide......While I was farting around there with it like a big shot [biggrin] , I finally flipped the tag around...It said $27000.00 ...[crying] ......Needless to say, I slowly lifted it back onto the guitar rack and left!!!!! Also one other time I was visting a store down in Houston.....I saw a an old Fender strat sitting there in its case on a table and the case was open with a lamenated sign that had flipped over onto the floor face down right beside it. I did not pay that much attention to the sign while I stepped over it and reached in and took the old strat out of it's case, got down on one knee and started fooling around with it for about 15 minutes or so. While I was setting there that sign kept on bugging me so I flip it over and it said "Duane Eddy's 1954 Fender Stratocaster DO NOT TOUCH"!!!! [scared] Well I looked around and made sure no one was looking , put it back in its case and set the sign back on the table all nice and neat!!!! :rolleyes: Then went on browsing around the store eusa_whistle.gif . No telling what that thing was worth!!!! Tim

Archived