Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Broadway recording

jdogric12

Hi gang... If anyone remembers the rare black '98 Broadway I bought and discussed here a few months back... here it is in action. Check out "U Street" on www.reverbnation.com/metrosongsbyjasonmendelson and you will hear this guitar recorded using a mixture of mic and pickups. I used a Neumann TLM103 pointed toward the 12th fret area, maybe about a foot away. Then I ran the guitar's output into a TubeMP preamp. Enjoy! Cheers, J

PS: The significance: DC's U Street corridor was known as "Black Broadway" in the 50's, so I felt this would be the perfect song to use it on.

Great song Jason! [thumbup]

The guitar sounded nice. You have an excellent, smooth sounding voice there; perfect for the song. Was that you on the piano too?

Thanks for sharing with us.

Now I'm going to head down to the "chili bowl". (great line) [biggrin]

Great song Jason! [thumbup]

The guitar sounded nice. You have an excellent, smooth sounding voice there; perfect for the song. Was that you on the piano too?

Thanks for sharing with us.

Now I'm going to head down to the "chili bowl". (great line) [biggrin]

Thanks! Yes, I play all instruments on my recordings with a few exceptions where I feature others.

Thanks! Yes, I play all instruments on my recordings with a few exceptions where I feature others.

Nicely done, Jason, I really enjoyed that.

I love it when people post music at this forum, and try my best to listen to all that is posted. In between all the useful tips about guitar maintenance and general banter, it's great to read about (and, most importantly, hear) people using their Epiphones (or any other make of guitar) for the primary reason guitars exist! Much more fulfilling than endless pics of guitars and debates about the minutiae of hardware or whatever, (although, of course, those topics can sometimes be informative too).

btw - Jason, it seems that you and I draw inspiration from railway stations...a couple of my tracks are station / railway inspired.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1070452

I named a short blues instrumental I recorded after New Street Station in Birmingham, England - a place where I used to change trains a lot one winter a few years ago. It's a fairly depressing 1970s concrete station - on a wet, dark, English winter's night it's probably enough to give anyone the blues.

Anyway, I really enjoyed listening to your tracks and dig what you're doing with the Metro theme.

Thanks for the nice comments! I think I'm using D'addario .010's or .011's with a wound G, probably .018 or .020. I usually only change plain strings as needed rather than change out whole sets.

What instruments am I hearing on the HSJ Carrier recording?

What instruments am I hearing on the HSJ Carrier recording?

Might be a Stratocaster here and there, because I used to own one a year or so ago.

Other than that, you're hearing only my favourite electric guitar - my Hagstrom Viking.

Hagandspider.jpg

Archived