Gibson Brands Forums

The great CAPO debate. Which is best?

Spot

Well after reading the interesting thread on PAIGE capos I went and bought two and have been comparing the positives and negatives of the most popular Capos on the market today.

I thought a poll on everybody's favourite would make for interesting reading. I'll post my thoughts on which is the BEST of the five different models I own later today...

Capo1.jpg

Capo2.jpg

[thumbup]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dunlop is pretty much all I've ever used. Got a couple different ones sitting in a drawer at home, but they don't get used. Don't know if the Dunlop is better or worse than any of the others. Eventually the metal piece will break and I'll have to get another, but they seem to last several years. They're quick and easy to put on the guitar and they hold the strings tightly. They work well for what I do. Never tried any of the G7th or short capos. Not sure just what they do.

Really interesting reading all your experiences....OK,...here are my thoughts....

I was a Schubb man before I tried the PAIGE Capos.

There is really something to be said for the "Controlled Tension" feature of the Paige models. You don't get that "stronger pressure on one end" issue, sometimes causing require re-tuning after placing the capo. The PAIGE capos apply uniform pressure across all six strings and are therefore not subject to this issue...My only gripe with the PAIGE Capos is the "Store behind the nut" feature which is not ideal. If you tighten the mechanism too much for a tight fit you will put pressure on the strings and cause tuning issues. Not enough and it moves when you move the guitar.

I'm really intriqued by the Greg Bennett Glider Capo which also applies this "Controlled Tension" feature, slips up the neck with ease and should fit nicely on the nut. I would love to try one of these....

For me the Dunlop is just too tight (..It's like a bloody vice!!!) and applies far too much pressure on the fretboard sometimes causing re-tuning like all the "clamp" style capos on the market. As does the Kyser and the Schubb.

So its the PAIGE PC-6-2062-R for me!!! I'd recommend it highly.....

[wink]

l.jpg

Actually this thread makes me wonder.. I have never used a capo on any electric, i just dont use it often and if I do its usually on my acoustic..

Now after my experience recently with some rubber burn on one of my stands.. I wonder if capos are Nitro friendly and if most of them are or not?

The Dunlop is pretty much all I've ever used. They're quick and easy to put on the guitar and they hold the strings tightly. They work well for what I do. Never tried any of the G7th or short capos.

Same.

Dunlop Triggers work, had mine for years. Did think about getting a G7 around Christmas time when someone posted about them here, but then thought "what's the point?". I can only use one at a time...

I hardly use a capo, but when I do it's the old Dunlop standby, which, for some reason, didn't make the polling list - . B)

Heheeeeee...

BK,..... I almost added this to the poll but thought no one actually still used them!!!

[flapper]

Actually this thread makes me wonder.. I have never used a capo on any electric, i just dont use it often and if I do its usually on my acoustic..

Now after my experience recently with some rubber burn on one of my stands.. I wonder if capos are Nitro friendly and if most of them are or not?

I have used the Shubb C1 capo many times on my les paul and on the other les pauls I have owned over the years with absolutely no problems.

G7th for me (and yes I voted :)) the great thing about these is you just squeeze it on and it retains the tension.. pretty cool

large.jpg

Yeah, G7 for me .... mighty nice lookin' and small so it doesn't interfer with the left hand. Takes a little experience to place and remove smoothly but, once you get it, it's quick and easy. Besides my daughter gave it to me as a Christmas present.

Really interesting reading all your experiences....OK,...here are my thoughts....

I was a Schubb man before I tried the PAIGE Capos.

There is really something to be said for the "Controlled Tension" feature of the Paige models. You don't get that "stronger pressure on one end" issue, sometimes causing require re-tuning after placing the capo. The PAIGE capos apply uniform pressure across all six strings and are therefore not subject to this issue...My only gripe with the PAIGE Capos is the "Store behind the nut" feature which is not ideal. If you tighten the mechanism too much for a tight fit you will put pressure on the strings and cause tuning issues. Not enough and it moves when you move the guitar.

I'm really intriqued by the Greg Bennett Glider Capo which also applies this "Controlled Tension" feature, slips up the neck with ease and should fit nicely on the nut. I would love to try one of these....

For me the Dunlop is just too tight (..It's like a bloody vice!!!) and applies far too much pressure on the fretboard sometimes causing re-tuning like all the "clamp" style capos on the market. As does the Kyser and the Schubb.

So its the PAIGE PC-6-2062-R for me!!! I'd recommend it highly.....

[wink]

l.jpg

just rest it right on top of the nut and tighten it ..... doesnt touch the strings at all .

I have a handful of Kyser Quick Change capos in various colours. I broke the original one I had and got the shock of my life, followed by charging around town looking for another.

I intend to try the G7 Newport - looks great, thanks Drathbun!

BluesKing777.

..don't think that I've settled anything but BOY was I impressed with this PAIGE capo!!!!!

[thumbup]

hi spot , i got a paige capo a few months ago and think its great . i was kinda led toward them after seeing the elliott capo which are the ferarri of capos it would seem . i fell in love with the idea of it never coming off the guitar as i never put things down in the same place twice and misplace capos at gigs all the time or lose them completely . i end up with a kyser stuck on the end of my headstock and while they do a job , i'm nit fussed on them.

any difference in the paige click ? i just got a regular one . maybe you only have the click ? was just wondering if it was a vast improvement

Archived