Gibson Brands Forums

The great CAPO debate. Which is best?

Spot

hi spot , i got a paige capo a few months ago and think its great . i was kinda led toward them after seeing the elliott capo which are the ferarri of capos it would seem . i fell in love with the idea of it never coming off the guitar as i never put things down in the same place twice and misplace capos at gigs all the time or lose them completely . i end up with a kyser stuck on the end of my headstock and while they do a job , i'm nit fussed on them.

any difference in the paige click ? i just got a regular one . maybe you only have the click ? was just wondering if it was a vast improvement

Hey Blindboy,..I liked both PAIGE models but the "Clik" won it for me as it just fits my Gibson Acoustic neck profiles better.

I think the picture below shows this. The part of tre capo that grips the back of the neck is not the best fit,.....which I think you can see in the photo below. The standard model would work on a more "V" shaped profile neck...

The Clik feature was not an issue in my desicion as I actually like the simlicity of the standard model...

Hope that helps....

[thumbup]

Paige3.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Blindboy,..I liked both PAIGE models but the "Clik" won it for me as it just fits my Gibson Acoustic neck profiles better.

I think the picture below shows this. The part of tre capo that grips the back of the neck is not the best fit,.....which I think you can see in the photo below. The standard model would work on a more "V" shaped profile neck...

The Clik feature was not an issue in my desicion as I actually like the simlicity of the standard model...

Hope that helps....

[thumbup]

Paige3.jpg

it sure does help ,

thanks buddy

interesting that they did so poorly in the poll :-s

My inital thoughts to BlindBoy!!!

.... I think it's because PAIGE is a really small company and not many Forum members,..like me a few weeks ago,.. are actually aware of them and thier products...

Big shout out to Buc for letting know that they existed!!!

If anyone is looking for a really solid Capo,..I'd say buy a PAIGE!!

[thumbup]

My inital thoughts to BlindBoy!!!

.... I think it's because PAIGE is a really small company and not many Forum members,..like me a few weeks ago,.. are actually aware of them and thier products...

Big shout out to Buc for letting know that they existed!!!

If anyone is looking for a really solid Capo,..I'd say buy a PAIGE!!

[thumbup]

i'm not surprised at shubb winning ,, hard wearing , work well ... non intrusive .... light .... all that they should be !

but i've lost about 10 of the bloody things !

paige is stuck there unless i'm doing a string change

i'm not surprised at shubb winning ,, hard wearing , work well ... non intrusive .... light .... all that they should be !

but i've lost about 10 of the bloody things !

paige is stuck there unless i'm doing a string change

For me it was the non-accuracy of the "Vice Grip"style capos like the Schubb that made me change..... The PAIGE is far more accurate as it applies controlled Tension uniformy across all six strings.

Does that make sense to you BlindBoy?

:unsure:

For me it was the non accuracy of the Vice Grip like capos like the Schubb that made me change..... The PAIGE is far more accurate as it applies controlled Tension uniformy across all six strings.

Does that make sense to you BlindBoy?

:unsure:

oh yeah . same for me , they much better at not going out of tune .

Loved the G7 for ages, until I discovered the upside down capo tuning on the 2nd fret in standard where you cover all strings but the low E...to get that dropped D vibe, and still play a normal G Chord...the G7 isn't designed to work upside down so I changed to a Schubb. I bought G7's for a few of my friends when they came out.

We have a lot of capos -- we play a lot of bluegrass, which requires the open strings as part of the sound. We collect guitars, and long ago we decided to give each of them a capo.

In capos, one size does not fit all at all -- I am pretty sure we own all the ones you mention.

The two brands we use the most are the Paige (traditional and Cik It) and the Shubbs (different sizes). I like to store the Paiges at the nut, but that will only work for some guitars. Shubbs can work for anything, and they generally get the job if a Paige won't work, but I have to put the Shubb in my pocket while in a session. I am very careful where I place the capo with regard to the fret location and with the respect to tension. We don't like Kysers because of their lack of tension flexibility -- and they look like a clothes pin.

I would take a picture,but it is too much work to search all the cases. I have a picture of some classic capos (case candy from vintage instruments).

capos.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

I've got a lot of capos. I only use one though-the Dunlop Victor. It's just the perfect capo, there is nothing I've found which can touch it. It's the only capo I've ever found that actually improves the tone of my guitar when I put it on.

Here is my rundown on my capos:

#1 - Dunlop Victor

#2 - G7th (superb design, just a bit heavier than the Victor and less tweakable)

#3 - Planet Waves NS (I've got two of these which I keep for studio/session use. Okay and very light, but it won't close up enough to clamp into a headstock when not in use, and if undone too far the tension control grubscrew will fall right out. Happened to me onstage once, and never will again)

#4 - Kyser (I've never been a fan of springloaded capos, due to the need to constantly retune when putting them on or taking them off, but the Kyser is probably the best of the bunch I've tried. Sensibly sprung and durable)

#5 - Shubb (I have never got on with the Shubb. It's okay, but again it's impossible to clamp it onto anything when it's not in use. They used to be my staple, but I kept losing them...I did a 200 date duo tour in 2004 and between my duo partner and I, we lost FOURTEEN of these which I left hanging on mic stand boom clamp handles in venues!)

I've got some others kicking about too, but I'm not sure where and what they are. The Victor is by far the best I've ever owned though, and durable too-I've been using 'em for eight years, my first one lasted three years before I broke it through accidental misuse, and my current one has been with me for five years and close to 1000 gigs, plenty of sessions, writing jaunts and allsorts. Bulletproof!

I love my Shubb capos, and to compensate for that 'stronger pressure on one end' thing, I use it upside down. I can't see the picture for that Swarovski crystal one.... just got the big red X?

I should post a picture of the one I made for a friend for Christmas last year.....

I love my Shubb capos, and to compensate for that 'stronger pressure on one end' thing, I use it upside down. I can't see the picture for that Swarovski crystal one.... just got the big red X?

I should post a picture of the one I made for a friend for Christmas last year.....

I have just checked my post...I have reposted the photo of the Swarovski.

Who would buy this?

Yeah man.. that looks cheap.. check that rubber is nitro friendly if you stick it on any of your Gibsons

..Not cheap at all Rabs,... It's actually very well made and has the same rubber used on the Schubb, Jim Dunlop, Paige etc... so a non issue really. The important thing to remember with any capo is not to leave them on for days, weeks etc.

Once you get over the "size" issue of this Glider Capo (..it's a little on the large size!), it's actually pretty sweet to use. It stays in tune and has that important uniform tension feature accross all the strings which is what I now look for in a capo. As its brand new the springs are very tight making fast slides up and down the neck somewhat difficult but I think it will loosen up with time...

Well worth a try this guy but I'm sticking with the PAIGE as my favourite as its the best overal IMO!

[thumbup]

..Not cheap at all Rabs,... It's actually very well made and has the same rubber used on the Schubb, Jim Dunlop, Paige etc... so a non issue really. The important thing to remember with any capo is not to leave them on for days, weeks etc.

Once you get over the "size" issue of this Glider Capo (..it's a little on the large size!), it's actually pretty sweet to use. It stays in tune and has that important uniform tension feature accross all the strings which is what I now look for in a capo. As its brand new the springs are very tight making fast slides up and down the neck somewhat difficult but I think it will loosen up with time...

Well worth a try this guy but I'm sticking with the PAIGE as my favourite as its the best overal IMO!

[thumbup]

Sorry I didnt mean to diss it :) But it does kind look like something i would have made in metal workshop ;)

But as always appearences can be deceptive [thumbup]

Bought one of the Dunlop Victors based off a recommendation I read of yours from a post months ago. Gotta give you a [thumbup] on the recommendation. I've been using the spring loaded Kyser capo that I've had forever. Works great, but I always have to either reposition, re-tune a string here or there, or do some level of fanaggling with the Kyser. The Dunlop cradles the back of the neck more uniformly vs. the Kyser...and once you get the proper tension applied to eliminate any string buzz..the tuning stays true. I like it...I likes it a lot [biggrin]

Dooooah,....I shoulda put thie Dunlop Victor as an option in the Poll.

[unsure]

Archived