Gibson Brands Forums

The great CAPO debate. Which is best?

Spot

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a handful of Kyser Quick Change capos in various colours. I broke the original one I had and got the shock of my life, followed by charging around town looking for another.

I intend to try the G7 Newport - looks great, thanks Drathbun!

BluesKing777.

I decided to try some other capos after reading this thread, so ordered from MF Drathbun's recommended G7 Newport, a plain jane G7 Performance and a Buc McMaster recommended Paige capo - only to read Buc has changed his recommendation today to an "Elliott'! The goal post keeps moving.

I was also trying to remember how long ago the Kyser quickuns came out?. Quite a while - I think I raced out to replace a rather shameful elastic one pictured earlier in the thread with a decent capo because a harp player wanted to play in 'E' instead of my open D! I had just got the Dobro back from repairs needed after tuning to open E too much and popping a rivett or two....

BluesKing777.

Well let's add another to the parade of capos! How about the Elliot? Much like the Paige, bit different design, made of stainless steel.........

..Elliot added to the poll Buc!

Nice find,... That looks very tempting.....although a bit pricey with the first model starting at $120!!!

=P~

I know the poll is closed BUT

After reading all the comments I ordered a few capos from MF the other week to try.

Some are on back order and they are sending them one at a time (I ordered 4 different ones and I will keep the best one or two and give the others to a friend?) The back orders are most probably from Gibson Acoustic Forum members ordering capos after reading this thread??

My G7 Performance capo arrived on Friday and I have been trying it out since and : it is really great. Why did I not do this before? $US29.99 is not much in the scheme of music and guitar playing. It really does hold the tension all the way up the neck - I was happily playing the blues king on the seventh fret. I swung to my LG1 to try it for slide playing and it was getting a bit of a tight fit with the neck from 5th up...(52 Gibson neck!)

Anyhow - I am pleased! Advice from this forum is fantastic. Can't wait to get the others....

BluesKing777.

• 2 weeks later...

Me again!

Of 4 capos I ordered the other week, my Paige 12 String Capo arrived yesterday. Here was the guff I should have studied a bit more:

Paige 12 String Guitar Capo

Paige 12 String Guitar Capo

A sleekly designed, controlled tension capo for 12 string and 6 string low profile / wider neck guitars.

Rings help hold all 12 strings firmly and can be adjusted or removed from the fretbar.

(max. width: 2 1/4) (closed depth: 5/8) (open depth; 1 1/16)

Well, guess what - it hardly fits the Gibson B25-12N (which has a neck like a roof rafter).

It is really hard to get on the neck, and only works up to the 3rd fret. It works beautifully on these 3 frets though - it has 4 extra rubber rollers to line up with the smaller strings to stop the 12 string capo buzz. As far as leaving it on the guitar at the nut, well forget it, this one is not going to fit!

I will continue to use it though. The Kyser and G7 don't work at all on the Gibson 12 string - the smaller strings next to the larger strings in a course don't get enough tension and buzz, buzz, buzz unpleasantly. As I tune the Gibson down a tone, I can mainly see using it on the 2nd fret to make standard tuning if playing with other musos, or the 3rd fret if playing with a female singer I know. (Hope she doesn't want 12 string 5the fret)

My other gripe is because of the sharpish ends on all these capos. My first finger crashed into the sharp bits as I move chords - why don't they put a bit of soft rubber over the metal bits that protrude? Well I can use the old muso fix - a slice of gaffa tape to cover it.

I am still waiting for my Paige 6 String Capo and my G7 Newport capo, which are both on back order with MF and seem to be delivered one at a time. How do they make any money?

BluesKing777.

I went into the local music store and grabbed an American Standard Tele (my guitar at the time), electronic tuner and all of their capos for sale. I tuned the guitar, then took turns putting put each of the capos on the 5th fret and checked for tuning. Only one was in tune, so I bought it.

post-41805-025547200 1334146260_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Me again, again....

It has taken a long while to arrive, but my G7 Newport capo came yesterday. It is nice, one of the only ones that are 'out of the way' of my moving fretting hand. It is going to take a while to find the right pressure setting without putting the strings out of tune, and they definetly go out of tune a bit with this capo.

So far the G7 Performance Capo is my fave - guitar stays in tune very nicely.

I am still waiting on a Paige 6 string capo that I ordered at the same time - I think you Gibson forumites must have bought them all after that thread a while back.

BluesKing777.

Hi!

Me again, again....

It has taken a long while to arrive, but my G7 Newport capo came yesterday. It is nice, one of the only ones that are 'out of the way' of my moving fretting hand. It is going to take a while to find the right pressure setting without putting the strings out of tune, and they definetly go out of tune a bit with this capo.

So far the G7 Performance Capo is my fave - guitar stays in tune very nicely.

I am still waiting on a Paige 6 string capo that I ordered at the same time - I think you Gibson forumites must have bought them all after that thread a while back.

BluesKing777.

bit strange that the two G7's are not matching up ! i have the performance one and had been looking at the newport because of its slimmer sexier less in the way design, glad i didnt plunge now :-)

i went the paige direction and totally glad i did ! wish i'd found these capos years ago !

bit strange that the two G7's are not matching up ! i have the performance one and had been looking at the newport because of its slimmer sexier less in the way design, glad i didnt plunge now :-)

i went the paige direction and totally glad i did ! wish i'd found these capos years ago !

Word BBGrunt,..The PAIGE capo works for me and I to wish I found them earlier! I would have saved a ton of money capos I don't use.....

[thumbup]

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to say that I am enjoying the last of the four capos I ordered from MF (Six String Paige Capo) and to give you a good report BUT.....

They have lost it.....

Here is some of the guff they are giving me:

Subject: Outstanding purchase [incident: xxxxxxx]

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support

center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you

within 48 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To access your question from our support site, click the following

link or paste it into your web browser.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject

---------------------------------------------------------------

Outstanding purchase

Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------------

Response Via Email(xxx) - 05/14/2012 08:34 PM

Dear xxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

We have contacted the shipper of your package and have

requested they start a trace on your package.

A trace can take up to 8 business days for the

shipper to respond back to us with the results, but can take longer.

As soon as we hear from them, you will be contacted with the results.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns, or if you are not completely satisfied with the service you have received from us today. We appreciate your feedback.

We appreciate you choosing Musician's Friend. Have a great day!

1-800-449-9128

Customer By Email - 05/14/2012 08:11 PM

Hi Support

When I track the outstanding item it now says that the tracking number has voided?

WOW! what a lot of politics! I deleted names to protect the innocent????

AND

I still don't have the capo......

BluesKing777.

If its been less than 60 days, call the 800 number on the back of your credit card and dispute the charge. They ought to be able and willing to credit you back the $$$ right away. Then, its up to MF to figure it out if they want the dough.

• 9 months later...

I think I own three Shubb C1's, all in brass. I like the more old timey look of brass without the shine. Never had a problem except I lost the little rubber tip on one but Shubb fixed me up with some spares all for the asking. I capo a fair amount, especially when accompanying a female singer or doing Gillian Welch/David Rawlings songs.

Archived